importance of plastic shroud (air cooling the engine)

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

importance of plastic shroud (air cooling the engine)

Post by xsh0rty »

recently I layed my scooter down thinking i was leaning in on a turn w/ a racebike or somthin.... aka my spree...haha...those skinny bicycle tires... I slid out like a baseball player, skinned the knees and palms, but luckily i wasnt injured, but afterwards my scooter was running like CRAP! It would run up to 20mph no prob then would start to bog out... no power... checked everything! -nothing! Lost a couple hours trying to clean/tweak the carb. Then....dont know why i didnt notice it before- but I noticed the plastic cover that keeps the air circulating around the engine was loose, and cracked....after i fixed it and put on properly, everything went back to normal! I even roll w/o my exterior panels normally because im always tweaking this and that.... and i guess even with the cover slightly knocked loose, air wasnt cooling the engine and i guess i was overheating? maybe soft seizing my piston?

either way i never would have thought it would have made such a difference to tighten the bolts on the fan cover. I went right back up to 30mph.

Anybody else have similar experiences?
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Re: importance of plastic shroud (air cooling the engine)

Post by 808BMW »

A lot of people take off the shroud to "get more air" to the engine and then seize their motor. The shroud directs air around the fins to pull away heat, very important.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Post by xsh0rty »

I was so suprised how quickly it made a difference, but now makes me wonder if there are ways to actually ensure more air/cooler air reaches the engine. What about cutting out the small circle where the fan spins to allow more air to run its pattern around the fins but keeping the rest of the plastic in tact. I know it would draw in more dirt etc. but we are always messin around with our scoots i dont think cleaning the fan would be a big deal.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

It's very important. Keeping things cool is a great thing, however keeping temperatures consistent and under control is even several steps beyond that. For example if your bike is hitting 400F+ and all of the sudden you get so much cooling that it drops to under 200F in 10-15 seconds, that's not good either.

Engines can seize at any temp, even cold. Engines seizing from too high a temp is often due to excessive thermal expansion of certain moving parts, in combination with a lack of lubrication. Then there's the kind of seizing that occurs from excessively hot parts cooling too quickly, warping forming irregular tolerances.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

If you ride longer distances, you could think about opening up your airflow to the fan by cutting out some of the grill fins on the shroud, you just have to make sure that you don't accidently suck up a plastic shopping bag or excessive leaves. Some of us modify our shrouds to include a fan scoop.

Last edited by Arnadanoob on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Post by xsh0rty »

yeah thats exactly what i was thinking about. Good note about the variety of temperatures. Yep, same reason why you cant put cold water in ur car when ur overheated.

How did you make your scoop? or is it purchased? very cool.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A-Noob, that is without a doubt the cleanest, best-looking custom scooter/bodywork I've seen on here. Did that used to be an '87 SE50? Magnificent work!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

A-Noob, that is without a doubt the cleanest, best-looking custom scooter/bodywork I've seen on here. Did that used to be an '87 SE50? Magnificent work!
my guess is its the canada sb50...is it pal or something
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

thats an elite e/pal/sb50 with a monsta dio in it! drool what a rad * scooter!
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

The bike is built by someone here in Hawaii, I'm just sharing the pics to the shroud's air scoop. It's hard to tell from the pics but it has a stretched motor mount thus longer wheelbase. The fan's air scoop is purchased seperately but you need to cut and shave down the fan shroud to make it fit correctly.

808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

HMP's ah? That thing is clean, I like the seat.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Is the shroud still necessary if you are running the scooter with no body panels?
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

yes

Only time you can get away with no shroud is when you have no fan
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

GIJoeBob wrote:Is the shroud still necessary if you are running the scooter with no body panels?
Yes. The stock cast jug is completely inadequate to cool the engine at speed. When the board first started there were a couple of noobs that burnt engines up this way after I'd repeated warned them not to run them like that.

If you want to see an "adequate" design, check out an Express. Big Al fins, and right out front.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

noiseguy wrote:
GIJoeBob wrote:Is the shroud still necessary if you are running the scooter with no body panels?
Yes. The stock cast jug is completely inadequate to cool the engine at speed. When the board first started there were a couple of noobs that burnt engines up this way after I'd repeated warned them not to run them like that.

If you want to see an "adequate" design, check out an Express. Big Al fins, and right out front.
That's kind of a drag as I was hoping to have a naked, painted engine for the next couple of projects I am working on.