Ever changed the clutch springs on a Spree?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Ever changed the clutch springs on a Spree?

Post by GIJoeBob »

I would like to increase my take off speed and I was thinking some stiffer clutch springs might do it.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Re: Ever changed the clutch springs on a Spree?

Post by Videonut »

um well it may but porting the exhaust will do the job and i dont think they make different springs for the spree. they are making some performance stuff for spree soon
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Videonut wrote:um well it may but porting the exhaust will do the job and i dont think they make different springs for the spree. they are making some performance stuff for spree soon
I have shoved the longest screwdriver I have (about 14 inches) into the muffler and never felt anything to puncture.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

If you put a stiffer spring in your spree it will do the opposite of what you want. It will take off slower. You do not have the HP for a stiffer spring.

TY
Marc
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

GIJoeBob wrote:
Videonut wrote:um well it may but porting the exhaust will do the job and i dont think they make different springs for the spree. they are making some performance stuff for spree soon
I have shoved the longest screwdriver I have (about 14 inches) into the muffler and never felt anything to puncture.
Porting the exhaust refers to grinding down the exhaust port in the cylinder. ;)
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

tazland001 wrote:If you put a stiffer spring in your spree it will do the opposite of what you want. It will take off slower. You do not have the HP for a stiffer spring.

TY
Marc
Do explain, yes there will be more lag but if the engine has spooled up more there will be more energy to dump and the engine will be closer to the powerband, thus lowering the 5-15mph slower than dog s*** window problem sprees have.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
tazland001 wrote:If you put a stiffer spring in your spree it will do the opposite of what you want. It will take off slower. You do not have the HP for a stiffer spring.

TY
Marc
Do explain, yes there will be more lag but if the engine has spooled up more there will be more energy to dump and the engine will be closer to the powerband, thus lowering the 5-15mph slower than dog s*** window problem sprees have.
I am curious as well. I want the clutch to engage with the engine is at higher rpms and in the power band.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i put polini natural springs in my elite e, it helped ALOT on takeoff, im sure you would reach a point of diminishing returns shortly though, say if you put the ol malossi yellows in it...
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

scooterwerx wrote:i put polini natural springs in my elite e, it helped ALOT on takeoff, im sure you would reach a point of diminishing returns shortly though, say if you put the ol malossi yellows in it...
Certainly. I just want to move one notch up because the scoot just bogs down on take off.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

exactly, it gets rid of the truffle shuffle takeoff
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

You could try and go with stronger clutch springs but there is a hit and miss possibility that it might not work out as intended. The idea is to tune the clutch engagement right when the pipe generates backpressure (harmonic resonance) to produce power.

- If the clutch engages before that point, it'll bog until it reaches the rpm where power begins. This condition is naturally made worse when there's an increase of load (heavy rider, steeper climb, etc.)

- If the clutch engages anywhere after the point where the pipe generates power, you lose some valuable, useable powerband.

The idea is to get it exactly when the motor start to spike in power and match the clutch engagement point to that the best you can.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Arnadanoob wrote:You could try and go with stronger clutch springs but there is a hit and miss possibility that it might not work out as intended. The idea is to tune the clutch engagement right when the pipe generates backpressure (harmonic resonance) to produce power.

- If the clutch engages before that point, it'll bog until it reaches the rpm where power begins. This condition is naturally made worse when there's an increase of load (heavy rider, steeper climb, etc.)

- If the clutch engages anywhere after the point where the pipe generates power, you lose some valuable, useable powerband.

The idea is to get it exactly when the motor start to spike in power and match the clutch engagement point to that the best you can.
Good, we are on the same page.