Spree 44mm bore kit on ebay - anyone familiar with it?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Spree 44mm bore kit on ebay - anyone familiar with it?

Post by bradthreee »

Question :?:

Anyone thought of running a bigger carb with this big bore kit? The SE50 and US DIO carbs bolt up using the same mounting points and seem to be bigger than the golfball sized NQ50 carb. Just a thought!

Luny what size jets you looking for?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

bradthreee wrote:Luny what size jets you looking for?
I don't really know. What size are stock jets? I put a Polini on the SA50 and it has been suggested that I put larger jet on it.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

If you us a bigger carb that if fine, but the intake will only let so much air in. The intake on the spree needs to be opened up for more air flow if you would like to try to add a bigger carb.
Marc
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

tazland001 wrote:If you us a bigger carb that if fine, but the intake will only let so much air in. The intake on the spree needs to be opened up for more air flow if you would like to try to add a bigger carb.
Marc
This issue is dealing with the SA50, AF05E, not the Spree, but that's not the issue. If a larger jet will not enhance an upgrade, why do you send a larger jet with your Spree kit and the AF16 kit as you said you would do?

Besides, I thought the idea of upjetting was not power, but to give a richer mixture for cooling affect.
Last edited by Lunytune on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
zapwalker
Goped
Goped

Post by zapwalker »

well i am going to be ordering the bore kit tomorrow. I have ground out a lot of the intake and the reed assembly. I will still have to up the jet right? or should I just go with a larger carb that can be bolted on.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

The thing is Mr. Zapwalker, this is new to everyone in the Spree world. These kits came out only a few months back. No one can tell you to use this carb with that jet and it will 100% work properly with your specific modifications. The only way to find out is trial and error. You will need to try many different jets with whatever carb you get and do lots of plug checks. There are also notches on the throttle needle that you can mess with. My advice would be to download the Spree manual and buy lots of spark plugs and different size main jets and go to town. Its also always good to try to make friends with your local Honda motorsports dealer and ask them lots of questions. I heard that buying them pizza helps!
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Besides being relatively new, jetting is based on location/riding style/other parts of the setup/intended use, so you'd never get the "perfect" answer from anyone other than a knowledgable tuner that is actually helping you test different setups, right then and there.
I always recommend a temp gauge so you have a bit more info as to what is going on.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
zapwalker
Goped
Goped

Post by zapwalker »

awesome. I wasnt too sure about the big bore kits because it seemed like there has been lots going around for a while but i guess thats just for other motors and not really the spree motors.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

zapwalker wrote:awesome. I wasnt too sure about the big bore kits because it seemed like there has been lots going around for a while but i guess thats just for other motors and not really the spree motors.
Not so. Jets are jets and upgrades are upgrades. What applies to one motor is going to apply to all. If an Elite needs a larger jet with an overbore, so would the Spree. Question is, how much overbore, and how much larger jet. I have the same question.

In fact this whole jetting issue raises lots of questions for me. I would start another thread, but I suspect zapwalker wants the answer too.
1. How do you measure a jet? I have a couple of jets with numbers stamped on them. Do they mean anything? I have another jet with no markings.
2. What size is standard for the typical Spree or Elite. BTW, My Elite E (same as Spree) has same carb as my Elite SA50.
3. How much increase is needed for an overbore? My SA50 has a 6mm overbore. The Spree kit like I have ordered and Zapwalker is about to order, is a 3mm overbore. In an email from Tazland, he said he would send a jet with the kit.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Lunytune wrote: 1. How do you measure a jet? I have a couple of jets with numbers stamped on them. Do they mean anything? I have another jet with no markings.
2. What size is standard for the typical Spree or Elite. BTW, My Elite E (same as Spree) has same carb as my Elite SA50.
3. How much increase is needed for an overbore? My SA50 has a 6mm overbore. The Spree kit like I have ordered and Zapwalker is about to order, is a 3mm overbore. In an email from Tazland, he said he would send a jet with the kit.
1. Jets are 1/100 mm. A 95 jet would be 0.95 mm, 100 jet is 1mm.. If your jets are undrilled, the number is what to go from. If they are unlabeled/overdrilled, you need some kind of measuring tool (nylon guitar strings) and you just need to test fit and figure out what is going on. Mikuni grades by flow rate while Keihin supposedly grades by metric size so there is a variation across the board. Keihin jets don't really line up spot on with the metric size, but it's pretty close.
Either way, you get the jets that fit your carb, keep going up until there is too much fuel, then step it back down to where it ran nice :P
2. I've heard 68, I've heard 85. My carb came apart and had an 85, I ordered a new jet online and it was a 68.
3. You need to upjet proportionally to the total amount of airflow. There is no solid answer. Add more air, add more fuel, how much is up to you.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

808BMW,
Yes, it was a 68 stamped on two of the jets. One was in a 6mm overbore kit from Polini. The other in a stock carburetor, and the unmarked one in a carburetor. I'm running the 68 in the Polini, as well as my stock Elite E. I can't seem to tell a difference in the spark plugs, and both run fine, both with BPR6HSA plugs.

I would prefer to err on the rich side than on the lean side. A fouled spark plug is not as serious as an overheated engine, scored cylinder, etc.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Wow fellas. Chatty as usuall. Jetting has to do with altitude also. But in general a 86 main jet replacement for the 44mm kits would be ideal for most applications. I have tons of jets laying around, but the smallest size I had was 95. And that is much better than the stock jet if you run a free flow filter. The reason I send the 95 is because it seems to have no overheating problems. When I tested the kits myself I found that the 95 worked much better. When I used the stock jet with the 44mm kits, the kit would soft seize sometimes, and I never had that problem with the 95 jet.
Sone no more dio swaps. Soon the day of the Spree will come. We will smoke the elite SR and the dio. Well maybe not, but we will be fast as *. 60mph++++++ is the goal.

Marc
zapwalker
Goped
Goped

Post by zapwalker »

tazland001 wrote: Sone no more dio swaps. Soon the day of the Spree will come. We will smoke the elite SR and the dio. Well maybe not, but we will be fast as *. 60mph++++++ is the goal.

Marc
YES! two thumbs up! I wanna give a mad thanks! for all the work your doing. I wish I had a little more knowledge with engines because I love to tinker with them. The only engines I know how to tinker with are unfortunately about 2 million each and fit into the back of 32million dollar killing machine. SO again HIGH FIVE! I cant wait to get the kit.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

I have a spare AF05 motor that I'll swap for a lowly dio ;)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Got my kits in the mail today. Got sidetracked and trapped into hauling hay today, but will hope to get on the projects tomorrow or Saturday.

First of all, thanks Tazland, for the extra jets. I kinda flamed you. Wish you had emailed me. I might not have flamed you. :( BTW, what you sent were not 95's, they were 100's. Or at least that's what my wife said. I can't read the small print. I'm sure that will help the Elite Dio to run cooler and also the extra I will put in the SA50/Polini. It will be far better IMO than an 86 for my purpose anyway. I lean toward too rich than too lean. My SIL says Lean is Mean, but I don't want mean, I want cooling and engine life. I still have a 68 in the SA50, no problems. How does a soft seize act? I haven't had any problems at all, and I've run on some pretty hot days, but don't WOT or redline.

But I'm not so sure the Spree will rise up and smoke the Elite SR Dio, and qute sure it won't smoke my JDM Dio. Or at least I won't help with that. The wife's E is running so good, I'll put this Spree kit back in the box and in a drawer until it is really needed. No sense in fixing something that ain't broke. That AF05E Spree engine in the E is a good engine. Not much power, but solid rock.