variator

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Re: variator

Post by Fishman43 »

Arnadanoob wrote:Do not grease the variator or rollers, ever. If you must use a lube, only use a dry lubricant like graphite for locks but even then it's completely unnecessary.
From Hondasan's book of all things scooter based (my Aero's owner manual) I qoute

"Lubricate the inside of the drive face with 10-15g of grease, then install the weight rollers.
Specified Grease:Lithium Based Grease
Mitsubishi HD-#
Nippon Sekiyu Lipanox Deluxe 3
Idemitsu Coronex 3
Sta-Lube MP #3141
Bel-Ray Molly Lube 126EP#0
"

Basically I think any type of white lithium is going to = all of those named grease brands. Although who doesn't want something called "Lipanox Deluxe 3"... I think I had a girlfriend give me a Lipanox once... and I liked it :shock:
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Wow, boy am i glad i seen this post! My 88 Honda Elite LX has that #6 plate. in about 2 hours i'm going to be putting in a new OKO variator. I remember seeing that plate #6 and thinking how in the crap does the rollers move as it looked like that plate would prevent it from opening up that much.

I didnt know you could install the variator without it and thats what i'm going to have to do with this OKO as theres no bolt holes for me to put the plate on.

Sucks as i'm going to have to use my stock plate for it for the time being untill i get someone to put a bushing in it to reduce the ramp plate hole from 14mm to 12mm.

I'm excited! I'll message back with the finding without that #6 plate and the new variator.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Welp, i put the OKO variator on my 88 Honda elite LX. I had to use the stock ramp plate. I used the guides and whatever weights came with the new variator.

It went only 31mph. It did 28 tops before but thats with the stock variator and some trashed stock weights that were worn down to metal hehe. So i guess seems like no difference with the back plate #6 or off.

Though now i hear some rattling noise. Sounds like metal coming from the motor on the crackcase side. Gota be something to do with the new variator as the sound was not there before.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

yeah its because your using the stock ramp plate.so the rollers have just a little play.take the pulley out and hold the ramp plate and pulley and shake it.you hear the rollers shake a little.I thought you were going to put that pulley in your dio?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Fishman43 wrote:
Arnadanoob wrote:Do not grease the variator or rollers, ever. If you must use a lube, only use a dry lubricant like graphite for locks but even then it's completely unnecessary.
From Hondasan's book of all things scooter based (my Aero's owner manual) I qoute

"Lubricate the inside of the drive face with 10-15g of grease, then install the weight rollers.
Specified Grease:Lithium Based Grease
Mitsubishi HD-#
Nippon Sekiyu Lipanox Deluxe 3
Idemitsu Coronex 3
Sta-Lube MP #3141
Bel-Ray Molly Lube 126EP#0
"

Basically I think any type of white lithium is going to = all of those named grease brands. Although who doesn't want something called "Lipanox Deluxe 3"... I think I had a girlfriend give me a Lipanox once... and I liked it :shock:
It's not a OEM stock variator, from what I read earlier it's a Keli performance pulley which is different. You don't go quoting the manual when you're installing it in a non-OEM configuration. But what do I know, grease up all you want if you think the Aero manual is right.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

bakaracer wrote:yeah its because your using the stock ramp plate.so the rollers have just a little play.take the pulley out and hold the ramp plate and pulley and shake it.you hear the rollers shake a little.I thought you were going to put that pulley in your dio?
It will be going into the 01 SR.. i just wanted to test it in the 88 to see if the speed increased back to normal as its slow. I'm going to be ordering stock weights and guides for the 88 among other parts to fix it up. Now with it still unusually slow, i have no idea what it needs or what else to order.

The only thing i have not done yet is to decarb the muffler as my old man dont seem to want to bother with it saying over and over it sounds fine. With almost 4000 miles on it,and not sounding the same as i remember it 20 years ago i think it needs it.

I have a new belt on order and when it gets here the pully is going on the 01.. ofcourse i could just take the new belt and pully off the 88 and slap it on the 01 (if i had the right d*** socket for my new impact drive! lol.. SUCKS)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

When I first started learning about these scooters, I wondered if running grease might not be a good idea too. Honda's earlier Elites and Aeros used a grease cover and o-ring to contain the grease. Only the Keli has the threaded holes if one wishes to reinstall the cover and run grease, AFAIK. Almost everyone here advised against doing so. Note that if you instal grease without the o-ringed cover, it will spin out and cover your belt.

Even Honda-san evidently had a change of heart: My 2001 had no cover and dry rollers, and was almost certainly assembled that way at the Factory, because the Previous Owner never touched it. I have had OKO, Malossi, and Polini variators in addition to the Keli. None of them can use grease.

A worn belt leaves the variator a little "slack" and so you can hear the rollers rattling around at idle. Sometimes the steel driven pulley "rings" a bit too. Your new belt might cure both noises.
I have a new belt on order and when it gets here the pully is going on the 01.. ofcourse i could just take the new belt and pully off the 88 and slap it on the 01 (if i had the right d*** socket for my new impact drive! lol.. SUCKS)
I suggest caution. While the crank is incredibly tough in actual use, the pressed-together design is very sensitive to torque loads from one side. Whack it with an impact gun and run the risk of twisting it out of true. Find a way to immobilize the pulley properly, and then a simple pull on a wrench is enough to remove the nut. Use a torque wrench set at 28 ft-lbs to reinstall and your crank will stay straight.

Your '88 ramp plate won't slide onto the thicker '01 crank. YMMV
Best regards,
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

I just took off the variator on the 88. i shook the variator with the stock ramp plate in there and it made that rattling noise. Then i put in the OKO ramp plate and it still made the same noise.

Yes, i just went to buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor so i could use the new impact wrench. It came off pretty easy.

Last night my Dad and i had a * of a time getting that face drive off! I was on the alternator side with a socket wrench and he was on the other side with a wrench and what happends? My side loosened and we could'nt get the face drive nut off. Could not figure anyway to hold that face drive to loosen the nut.

Finally we re tightend up the alt nut and my dad thought of using a rubber hammer on his wrench real light to work as a impact wrench to loosen the nut. Well it worked on the first try. Though i dont want to call my old man over everytime i have to work on the scooters so the impact atm is my only choice.

I seen someone use a bike chain before to hold that drive face so they could wrench off the nut. My dad mentioned a trick where you could have a very long wrench on the other side that would hit the floor and hold that end so you could wrench off the nut on the face drive.. Interesting and i bet it would work, though i dont have a very long wrench.

I'm sure someones got a good idea of how to hold that to get the nut off?? I dont want to trash the scooter.. It even had a new crank shaft.. well its 20 years old as in bought new 20 years ago. hehe. The old one needed to be replaced as the splines were nearly gone.

Today i'm gona throw the OKO variator and belt on the 01 and see how it feels. I'm just going to wait for the new belt to come and rollers for the 88 and head shroud before i ride it again.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Eight bucks at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=36813

Think about what happens when you hold one end of the crank and apply big torque to the other: the two flywheels and the big-end crank pin are just pressed together. No locking system other than friction. The way people true cranks is to mount them in a holder and pound on the flywheels with brass hammers until they spin straight and true in 3 planes... The way people un-true cranks is to hit them with air impact tools. Might be OK for loosening, but I repeat my concern for installing either end. Wobbly cranks, leaky seals = PITA. Get a holder, and there are easier ones to use than the one above.

Anyone remember who came up with the modified wrench that used a cover bolt to jam the pulley? I'd sticky that one if it could be found.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

I like using this myself along with a 1/2in drive breaker bar and the 17mm socket.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=36778
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Foot + slipper to hold it, and impact to tighten/loosen :P

I'm really careful about not putting in on too tight with the impact, maybe that's why it comes off pretty easily.
Most of the time I don't even hold anything, 2 clicks and the impact pulls it right off.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
Wheelman-111

Variator Installation Slippers

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

808 Beemer submits:
Foot + slipper to hold it, and impact to tighten/loosen
:P

I want to know if you use OSHA-Approved slippers... :)
Wheelman-111
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

I just got done test riding the 01 SR with the new OKO variator and the new belt that i swaped out from the 88 LX.

:mrgreen:

WOW! I mean holy $!%$!! What a freakin difference!

The elite went from a sluggy start from the slipping belt before and only toped out at 32MPH to a slight hesitation to "SEE YA LATER!" 45++++

I'm like hauling it down the street and i'm lookin at the speed going hey its doing 35 finally! to wha?? holy crap its gota be doing close to 45MPH and pull back on the throttle! lol..

I wonder how much faster it would go if i let it! I'm bettin somewhere around 50!

This is crazy thinking for this untuned 01 Honda SR.. The thing took awhile to start and smoked for about 10-20 mins easy! Gota figure that out.

I dont understand how this baby is haulin my 295+ lbs around at that speed! lol.

I need to wait for the new tires and tubes to get hear prob in a week and to make a couple more bucks for a helmet before i find out that max speed!

YEE HAWW!! Hells yes! Hauling * faster then it feels safe atm hehe.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

you should pull the cylinder off the 88 lx because it sounds like the exhaust port window might have some carbon buildup on it.32mph is slow for that bike.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

bakaracer wrote:you should pull the cylinder off the 88 lx because it sounds like the exhaust port window might have some carbon buildup on it.32mph is slow for that bike.
I was thinking about doing that soon.. Though it was just rebuilt and we had the whole motor in pieces. Put a new crank and cylinder head gasket on there and rings. I'm pretty sure i had my Dad clean the cylinder out with brake cleaner before we put it in.. though he did tell me a couple of times that dont worry about the carbon build up inside as the rings will clean it off and shoot it out the exhaust. We also put a new gasket washer on the muffler as well.

I remember that the piston head has carbon build up on it too.

So i'd really love to pull the whole head off again and check it out and clean it up right this time. Decarbon the muffler as well.

My Dad thinks it may be the carb needs adjusting and that we used some old gas he had laying around for a month as well. hehe