Alot of smoke after big bore, is this normal?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Re: Alot of smoke after big bore, is this normal?

Post by scooterwerx »

its imperative that the rest of the scooter is in good operating condition before even trying to tune for a new setup, if it isnt, you will end up chasing your tail! a good campfire also does a great job of cleaning out the exhaust!
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

scooterwerx wrote: some variator tuning may be in order as well.
I am curious about this as well.............

What grams are the rollers that you are using?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

me, or novs 86? i used the rollers that came with my LV SP3, 6.7g, i think. before the pipe, 8 grams was the setup...
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

ALOW1 wrote:
scooterwerx wrote: some variator tuning may be in order as well.
I am curious about this as well.............

What grams are the rollers that you are using?

The 9 gram weights that came with the variator from Daywot.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

9g is too heavy. you want 8g or lower, have to try different weights
projects galore :nerd:
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

burnt_toast wrote:9g is too heavy. you want 8g or lower, have to try different weights
I weigh 245 so what weight should I be using? I thought the different weights helped with take off speed and acceleration . They determine top end also?
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

yes, both ways too, if they are too light, it will never shift up to the high gear, and if they are too heavy they will shift too soon, and most of the time the engine cannot pull it, unless you go down a steep hill. for 245, i would try the 8's for sure, there is a seller on ebay with rollers for ridiculous cheap...
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

novs86 wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:9g is too heavy. you want 8g or lower, have to try different weights
I weigh 245 so what weight should I be using? I thought the different weights helped with take off speed and acceleration . They determine top end also?
everything affects everything, that is the nature of tuning

theres no answer to what weight you "should" be using, buy a roller pack and try to find the powerband that is best thing to do. ballpark 7-8g should be good but you must experiment if you want it to run best
projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You want a nice blue haze, white smoke generally indicates a rich fuel:air mix condition.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
edgargonz
BMX
BMX

Post by edgargonz »

Just wanted to post my gains, I have an 85 Aero with Daywot's Polini 66cc kit, rejetted carb original main jet drilled out not sure how much mechanic did it, Kelli Variator, Polini ramp (makes big difference), Leovinci sp3 exhaust and supplied weights, PG crank for 87 bigger counter weight more torque, Malossi Gears(Not installed Yet....) with this current set up on flat my scoot is doing 60/. I have replaced this kit a couple of times due to mechanic error when new this kit is new it runs pretty tight, speeds are about right 35-37.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

!!!!!!!!!PG makes a crank for AF05E???? where'd you get it?
edgargonz
BMX
BMX

Post by edgargonz »

I actually got it from Daywot, It was I believe one of the last ones he had, I figured it was better to get it when I did as I knew parts for this motor are hard to come by. I believe you know who Daywot on ebay is right? Oh yeah and the set up on my clutch is 1000 polini springs and 2000 center spring.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

The weights you need is determined by a lot of factors. No 2 bikes are exactly the same and you need to experiment with what works best. In regards to gearing issues with weights, yes the weights do affect the overall gearing ratio but that's not how you tune a moped correctly. The trans is tuned to the characteristics of the pipe independently from the gearbox. Don't try to get top end speed from going heavy on the weights, do that by going up or down in overall ratio with the actual gears.

The misconception of full counterweight cranks (FCC) is that it gives you more power, part of that is true. The advantage of the FCC is that it raises the effective rev limit by controlling vibration at higher rpms. The FCC's start to affect power at around 10-13k rpms. You will need to have a pipe that can provide enough power at those rpms (this is near the limit of a normal PG Long) and should consider punching out the inner exhaust nipple or switching to a superior pipe. Since the FCC has a higher mass it stores more energy during rotation which means it resists revving down. At lower rpms however, the benefits of a FCC is almost non-existent, in fact it takes away some power due to its higher mass. This is why OEM cranks aren't FCC because the OEM engine/trans configuration will never see the rpms needed to benefit from using a FCC. You gain the extra power from using a FCC from having a wider power band. For example a bike with a PG Long on a OEM crank spins to about 10-10.5k on a 72cc and kicks in at around 8200 rpms. With a FCC the powerband widens from 8200 rpms to 12.5k rpms.

There are quite a few Hawaii guys that have FCC's in their blocks and never see the benefit from using them because the rpms never reach the point where it makes a difference. For engines that spin to 11k rpm and below, its not easy to find a crank that'll do a better job than the OEM stock crank.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

oh, so this is a stock length crank? just more balance? weird
anyone know if af16 and af05e have similar cranks, same bearings, etc. i know they use the same flywheel and the variator side is close, they are swappable, any one know crank bearing size?