Spree 44mm bore kits?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

circusracer
Goped
Goped

Spree 44mm bore kits?

Post by circusracer »

So there has been a lot of talk about Tazlands kits. But I havent read anyones definite reports on the performance of one of these kits. Has anyone claimed greater acceleration? Higher top speed? I am thinking of getting a kit for a winter project, I would really like to hear others findings. :D
84,85,86 sprees: Intake mod, drilled pipe, .020" milled 1985 head, dome piston, 2mm raised exhaust port, sb50 reeds, 34mph average.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Re: Spree 44mm bore kits?

Post by Spreetard »

better acceleration mostly, though the added power helps to overcome the loss of acceleration from the pully mod or belt mod.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
circusracer
Goped
Goped

Post by circusracer »

So let me understand this: you dont get too much higher top speed, manly its from the pulley or belt mod. But the acceleration you lose from those mods, you gain back from the bigger bore? So my Sprees all hum along quite nicely, but I wouldnt mind a little more take off so the bore kit is right up my alley? If I was expecting a 40 mph monster, I should swap in a Dio.
84,85,86 sprees: Intake mod, drilled pipe, .020" milled 1985 head, dome piston, 2mm raised exhaust port, sb50 reeds, 34mph average.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

circusracer wrote:So let me understand this: you dont get too much higher top speed, manly its from the pulley or belt mod. But the acceleration you lose from those mods, you gain back from the bigger bore? So my Sprees all hum along quite nicely, but I wouldnt mind a little more take off so the bore kit is right up my alley? If I was expecting a 40 mph monster, I should swap in a Dio.
i think that 40 would be nearing the practical top speed of the nq, even with the big bore. but it's alot cheaper than a dio, and could be made to go 40 with a little special sauce. if you like going 35 and getting there quick, the big bore kit is definatly for you.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
circusracer
Goped
Goped

Post by circusracer »

Thanks Spreetard, 40 is good enough for me. Just like to get there faster and more reliable. Im hitting 36 now on two of my Sprees (gps proven) I just want some get up and go.
mkluvin
BMX
BMX

Post by mkluvin »

I just ordered a 44mm big bore kit on ebay. should be here this week what will I need to do to the head ? will It need to be sized to a 44mm crown instead of 41mm. :wink:
1985 Honda spree(nq 50)
1984 honda spree -green hornet
1980 Honda express
1978 honda express
1991 Yamaha razz
1980 puch e50 single speed
1983 trac eagle
1997 BMW rt1100r
1997 jeep wrangler tj

mkluvin
BMX
BMX

Post by mkluvin »

I have the kit in and didn't see a lot of topend but a great increase in low touque and better up hill preformance..working on pulley mod and larger back tire. my spree is stock and has no mods other than the big bore and and the 95 jet from taz. oh yeah a few holes in the air box for the jet increase
1985 Honda spree(nq 50)
1980 Honda express
1978 honda express
1991 Yamaha razz
1983 trac eagle
1997 BMW rt1100r
1997 jeep wrangler tj

portable
BMX
BMX

Post by portable »

what side of the air filter did you put the holes on ? carb side or atmosphere? what size holes and how many? if on the carb side do you plan on filtering the incoming air and how? im going to do the kit soon and id like to try a proven install. some say to just use a K&Nhttp://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=R-1040
others say it allows to much air and will lean the engine to much causing possible damage. but with the 95 jet supplied by taz that might not be a problem. im sure there will be a balancing act between the right jet and the right air box mod./filter. im waiting for more imput before i start. i did also get the gear kit but one hill at a time, i'll need the low end torque (big guy) before i try to add the top end. "portable"
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

portable wrote:what side of the air filter did you put the holes on ? carb side or atmosphere? what size holes and how many? if on the carb side do you plan on filtering the incoming air and how? im going to do the kit soon and id like to try a proven install. some say to just use a K&Nhttp://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=R-1040
others say it allows to much air and will lean the engine to much causing possible damage. but with the 95 jet supplied by taz that might not be a problem. im sure there will be a balancing act between the right jet and the right air box mod./filter. im waiting for more imput before i start. i did also get the gear kit but one hill at a time, i'll need the low end torque (big guy) before i try to add the top end. "portable"
The only real trouble with drilling holes in or replacing the stock air box with a "UNI" is that the intake system is "TUNED" just like the exhaust side is and changing it is problematic at best and down right frustrating at it's worst.

No one should ever drill holes on the carb side of the filter. It would be easier to just remove the air filter and/or take the top off the air box and cheaper and easier to fix when it doesn't work.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
portable
BMX
BMX

Post by portable »

what im trying to find out before i start down this long and bumpy trail is what people have had luck within trying to find the new "tuned" air filter & exhausts configurations. cause if you drop a 44 jug in the middle of "tuned land" all bets seem to be off. also i'm still waiting for the #85 jet taz said he would send to replace the one that came with the jug. thanks for your input "bear" :coolcruise: "portable"
circusracer
Goped
Goped

Post by circusracer »

mkluvin wrote:I have the kit in and didn't see a lot of topend but a great increase in low touque and better up hill preformance..working on pulley mod and larger back tire. my spree is stock and has no mods other than the big bore and and the 95 jet from taz. oh yeah a few holes in the air box for the jet increase
Thanks for the update mkluvin. :peace:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

actually UNI has a free flows that work perfect for this application. I will have to buy some and sell them on my store. UNI also has 1" free flow filter plugs. They are perfect. I use to use them all the time for upgrades. If you drill holes in the stock box for the spree, you need to do it on the top. That way the air is still filtered.. Just need to clean the filter more often.

Marc Olson
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

tazland001 wrote:actually UNI has a free flows that work perfect for this application. I will have to buy some and sell them on my store. UNI also has 1" free flow filter plugs. They are perfect. I use to use them all the time for upgrades. If you drill holes in the stock box for the spree, you need to do it on the top. That way the air is still filtered.. Just need to clean the filter more often.

Marc Olson
What size holes and how many do you drill in the airbox cover? I assume the cover is what you mean by "top" of the box.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
mkluvin
BMX
BMX

Post by mkluvin »

Yep that's what I had done. only I used 4 - 1/2 inch holes on the top side, I thought about putting them on the back lip of the lid net to the original in let . I didnt have a uni bit. I bought a box of parts from craigs list and there was an intake that had been ground to a larger opening at the top . I may throw it on to see what it does but my concern is the exhaust I think the stock is kind of restrictive on a 49cc so whats it do to the 44mm set up ? I get snow here so Ill be tearing down to port soon.
1985 Honda spree(nq 50)
1980 Honda express
1978 honda express
1991 Yamaha razz
1983 trac eagle
1997 BMW rt1100r
1997 jeep wrangler tj

tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

the stock exhaust is fine. Unless there is massive carbon restricting air flow the stock Muffler will work. I have hella winter projects. Snow is coming soon. I hope you all got you wood cut already. hehe. I have been cutting and splitting wood all month. Hate that crap.....