decarbonizing exhaust

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

kygreen229
BMX
BMX

decarbonizing exhaust

Post by kygreen229 »

will decarbonizing exhaust help any with overall top speed? everything is pretty much up to par now as far as being mostly stock on my 87 elite se50..and she is runnin pretty well. i want to cut open the exhaust and get all that stinkin carbon outta there!! the pipe is pretty freakin heavy when its off and im guessin its cuz of all the carbon build up. my dad is a welder for an occupation so gettin it back together wont b a prob. just wonderin where the best place would b to cut it? and how to get the carbon out..scrape it,,burn in it out? thanks dudes!
87 Honda Elite SE50
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Re: decarbonizing exhaust

Post by Spreetard »

no need to cut it apart, there are two good ways to clean it without cutting.

chemical cleaning will do the best job, but the chemicals involved are relativly dangerous.
the easy way is to throw it on a campfire, or in the grill, and burn out the carbon. then just put compressed air to it ( after letting it cool, of course) and poof! decarboned, and in dire need of paint. :mrgreen:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

Spreetard wrote:
chemical cleaning will do the best job, but the chemicals involved are relativly dangerous.
If you use gloves the Drano method is best. Just be careful and you will be fine. The results are much better than the camp fire method in my opinion. Look in the tech docs for the Drano (lye) method. As Spreetard said it can be dangerous but so can a camp fire if your not careful.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Polini does make a pipe that is rebuildable, its called the smoking gun :naughty:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
kygreen229
BMX
BMX

Post by kygreen229 »

cool thanks for the replies guys. i ended up cutting out the back side of it so it was nice and easy to weld back together. suprisingly this scoot has been properly jetted and running well all of its 22 years cuz the exhaust had almost no build up in it! i was pretty pumped in a way..kinda was hopin for some just cuz it might have made her a little more peppy when cleaned:) question tho..the burning way or the chemical way,,doesnt that burn out the packing inside there? then the pipe would b considerably louder or no?
87 Honda Elite SE50