50mm bbk KABOOM!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

guen84
Spree
Spree

Re: 50mm bbk KABOOM!

Post by guen84 »

whats your opinion baka??? you like ruima or malossi???
my main concern is the mini stroker heard some people say its a waste with the malossi, any thought on that??
2001 Elite,50mm bbk, 44.1 mm mini stroker
28mm oko carb, no restriction air filter, ct intake
zx clutch, polini for ruckus vari, pg long, 7.7 gears

1999 Elite 51mm bbk, oko vari, sef ramp plate, 8.44 gears
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

I like both. malossi doesn't make a 50mm bore for dios so you cant compare. if a bore was not ment for a mini stroke crank then you have to check port timing and port to adjust which is why alot of huys say its a waste of time. its hard to get it to run right and good. the guys that say it runs good when they they just slapped the setup together is full of it.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
guen84
Spree
Spree

Post by guen84 »

bakaracer wrote:
guen84 wrote:well finally got it apart, TrafficJamz is the winner compression to high... burned a whole in piston... cylinder looks pretty good still.. possibly try one of limp's 51mm ruima kits now.. any one have some feed back on them over a Molossi kit..
if the cylinder walls are not scored up then just get another piston and rings. this time lower the compression even more. 93 octane will support about 9.5to1 compression on 2 strokes. if its higher than that then expect engine knock at high rpm's. Oh and the malossi or polini bore will NOT work on your block since you cut the boost port to fit the ruima one. you either have to fill it in with epoxy or aluminum.

ok well i guess that answers that question... next question my plug was white, but my jetting is huge 60 pilot and 160 main, needle all the way lean.. was it just from to high compression?? if it helps running a 8 plug

bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

guen84 wrote:
bakaracer wrote:
guen84 wrote:well finally got it apart, TrafficJamz is the winner compression to high... burned a whole in piston... cylinder looks pretty good still.. possibly try one of limp's 51mm ruima kits now.. any one have some feed back on them over a Molossi kit..
if the cylinder walls are not scored up then just get another piston and rings. this time lower the compression even more. 93 octane will support about 9.5to1 compression on 2 strokes. if its higher than that then expect engine knock at high rpm's. Oh and the malossi or polini bore will NOT work on your block since you cut the boost port to fit the ruima one. you either have to fill it in with epoxy or aluminum.

ok well i guess that answers that question... next question my plug was white, but my jetting is huge 60 pilot and 160 main, needle all the way lean.. was it just from to high compression?? if it helps running a 8 plug
yup!! like I always say on here, if the compression ratio is to high for the gas your using, no matter how fat you jet it, it will blow up unless you baby the throttle then yeah it wont blow.but holding it wot it will knock then KABOOM!!
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
guen84
Spree
Spree

Post by guen84 »

well thanks baka for the help... i tell ya what, it sucked it happened but i was flying!!! gonna stick with same cylinder or get the ruima.. i was really starting to like my setup.. do you have any break in suggestions, im a fan of the NHRA way but didnt work out to good for me...

bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

guen84 wrote:well thanks baka for the help... i tell ya what, it sucked it happened but i was flying!!! gonna stick with same cylinder or get the ruima.. i was really starting to like my setup.. do you have any break in suggestions, im a fan of the NHRA way but didnt work out to good for me...
heat cycles. at least 7 of them before even riding the bike. just let it idle on the center stand. 1st 150deg let cool to touch or around 80deg ,then 180deg, 200deg, 220deg,240deg,240deg,240deg. I cover the air inlet on the fan shroud or you can do it without the fan and shroud so it can get up to temp quicker.i set the idle around 2200-2600rpm
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

If your jetting skills aren't up to par then don't waste money on a expensive bore. Get another ruima and get the jetting right. If your doing your plug chops right then the wwhite plug should have been a red flag telling you somethings not right. You need to start with the needle in the mid and move it up or down one slot at a time. I would start with a 148 jet and move down a size at a time. You also may have had air leak from your exhaust gasket or something letting in extra air.
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

With the mini stroke crank it Doesnt matter which bore you choose your port timing and compression is going to have to be addressed. Also like baka said its not the bores fault it melted its the tuner. The Ruima makes its power by having more displacement. The Ruima is also cheaper. The malossi makes its power with better efficiency from better port timing. The malossi cost more. is about 60$ more. Port castings on the Ruima are rough and the piston feels like its made out of lead. The port castings on the malossi are smooth the piston and rings are super light weight and high quality. You get what you pay for. Ive owned and run both of these bores(on stoke stroke) so these differences arent a biased opinion but differences anyone can see with the naked eye. Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
guen84
Spree
Spree

Post by guen84 »

kingkamehameha wrote:If your jetting skills aren't up to par then don't waste money on a expensive bore. Get another ruima and get the jetting right. If your doing your plug chops right then the wwhite plug should have been a red flag telling you somethings not right. You need to start with the needle in the mid and move it up or down one slot at a time. I would start with a 148 jet and move down a size at a time. You also may have had air leak from your exhaust gasket or something letting in extra air.
the plug chop i was referring to its final plug chop... i started at 148 and ended up at 158, then changed to a 160 to be safe (haha)... air leak is deffinetly a possibilty, ive had the hardest time with this exhaust flange...

guen84
Spree
Spree

Post by guen84 »

Red Eft Performance wrote:With the mini stroke crank it Doesnt matter which bore you choose your port timing and compression is going to have to be addressed. Also like baka said its not the bores fault it melted its the tuner. The Ruima makes its power by having more displacement. The Ruima is also cheaper. The malossi makes its power with better efficiency from better port timing. The malossi cost more. is about 60$ more. Port castings on the Ruima are rough and the piston feels like its made out of lead. The port castings on the malossi are smooth the piston and rings are super light weight and high quality. You get what you pay for. Ive owned and run both of these bores(on stoke stroke) so these differences arent a biased opinion but differences anyone can see with the naked eye. Keith
unfortunetly i screwed all of my fine tuned options up with boost port, dont want to risk fixing with epoxy.... so for now ill have to stick with large displacement.. you know what they say no replacement for displacement... my next build im deffinetly gonna try one these delicetly machined cylinders...

bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if the flange is not sealing good , you might have to use a propane torch to heat the j pipe and bent it some in the direction so that the flange will sit flat.on mine the the bottom on the exhaust side wouldn't seal to good so I bent the j in the direction need for it to sit flat.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

Image this helps a lot too....
guen84
Spree
Spree

Post by guen84 »

bakaracer wrote:if the flange is not sealing good , you might have to use a propane torch to heat the j pipe and bent it some in the direction so that the flange will sit flat.on mine the the bottom on the exhaust side wouldn't seal to good so I bent the j in the direction need for it to sit flat.

thats exactly the problem ive had with 3 different pipes now... ive tryed vw metal gaskets some vw plastic gasket, homemade gaskets.... it would be fine for a couple rides, then id have to reseat pipe...little scared put ill have to give it a shot. :nervous:

guen84
Spree
Spree

Post by guen84 »

fastplastic wrote:Image this helps a lot too....

do you got a link or some info on that gasket???

kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Does stacking base gaskets have anything to do with the exhaust flange not fitting properly? Your plug shouldn't be white with those huge jets and I'm surprised your bike even ran at all
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii