corsa running cold

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Re: corsa running cold

Post by DirtyE »

Ive only had a couple setups that ive been happy with in the past 10 years. Other than that, I am completely anal and a perfectionist with my tunes. Where most would find the performance acceptable, I swap rollers to make .5g total weight difference, and am always on my needle position and main jet. When I get a setup dialed in to my liking, I search for more power elsewhere. All of my efforts usually end up in stripped screws, and broken parts from the disassembly and reassembly. Then I get sick of the project and either part it out or sell.
Good luck in finding your issue.
changing pipes can change EVERYTHING. If you're running cool and bogging it sounds like you've got too fat a main in there. Drop it by 5-10 to see if it drastically effects the performance. Keep an eye on your temps while experimenting like this though. Not like toasting your cylinder will be super easy, but don't go crazy.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I've got 32 slow and 100 main I don't currently have smaller jets. Hoping some of that issue was the bent throttle needle. I understand the rollers don't affect bog on the throttle position I was just saying that about 45 when I'm hard on it it wants to lose power. Haven't checked the plug been a little busy at work but that's next on the list. Just need to get it rideable to get it G9s to have him help me dial it in. I'm persistent if nothing else.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

One thing I may suggest, if it hasn't been said before is that life is way easier if you concentrate on one section at a time. Forget all of the CVT stuff for a min, and work on tuning your carb. When you start changing your carb, and rollers, and springs, etc, you are adding so many different variables. They way that everything has an effect on this scooters makes it far too difficult to try to make it run correctly when you are introducing all of these different variables. When you so this, you have no real idea on what is doing what and it becomes a crap shoot as to what is happening and what changed.

Tackle one area at a time and then move on to the next one.

I know how hard it is to be patient with all of this stuff when more than anything all you want is for your scoot to do everything it is supposed to do. I am a super impatient person but sometimes you need to just stop, plan, and do one thing at a time. No disrespect meant. I want to see your bike come together and be the little beast it is meant to be!

Ride on! Ride Red!
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I know I kinda got a little side tracked with my carb tuning. That being said I have much better understanding of the cvt and what I'm trying to achieve on that end. Picked up a tach and a needle from G9 today. Hoping the needle will work I think it's from a Oko. How will I know what Rpms are my powerband? That's the one thing I'm still not sure about.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Awesome! What kind of tach did you end up with?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

A trailtech I got a temp gauge from them also. It's small only issue I have with them is they aren't backlit but it's ok I'll survive. Gonna try to get the beast back together tomorrow and throw in some 6 & 6.5 rollers(where they were before last change) and hope that needle works or I'll be dead in the water till I get a new one. Hottest day of the year so far tomorrow close to 70 hate to miss out on some riding.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Nice!

I *think* that those needles are interchangeable between the two carbs from what I've read.

What do you think about that Naraku variator? I haven't been able to find anything really online .
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

So far so good when bike was stock it really helped rand great when my contessa was running my contessa with the R1 was a rocket to low 50s. Been maybe 1500 miles on it recently changed rollers the old ones had about 1500 miles on them there was one very small flat spot on one roller. Overall not having much comparison it does its job very well.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

So I had a few minutes today to do some tinkering and found this. Not quite sure how that happened to my plug. Also added the new needle one notch up on the clip. And put in an old plug that I had laying around. Fired up messed with the screw to get a good idle and the temps came up to about 200 already a good sign. Had my rollers out thinking I'd need to change them and went back to a mix of 6/6.5 and got nothing but bog so I dropped the 6.5s and added 5.5s and it was worse. Barely could get it to move. But was idleing good. Should I go heavier or lighter? Any thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

First and foremost, a new plug. Buy a few. They are cheap and can cause all sorts of problems. I can eat up a box of plugs in a day while tuning.

Second, with your rollers. Describe to us what symptom you had with 6.25g that made you go to 5.75g and why its now worse. Remember, the rollers set your RPM.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

That's an interesting looking plug lol

Did you check the numbers on that new needle to see if it is the same as the old needle? (At least specd the same) Needles come with different tappers and this all has an effect on your tuning. Just like changing a jet, needles differ.

What rollers did you have in it before you changed the carb parts?

That kind of change shouldn't make it barely able to move. Will it rev while on the center stand? Without the load of you on it?

This sounds like it's carb related since you were riding it prior to replacing the needle.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

As for the needle no I was grabbing some stuff from G9 and he said to give it a try. Will start looking for a new on Monday. That being said with the new needle it came up to a good temp and idled. Could be an issue but honestly best it's run since putting the corsa on temp wise.
No center stand but revs up nicely and wants to go with 6/6.5 combo moved and went about 15 chugging the whole time but it would go 15. No more than that. Went lighter and would rev up clutch kicked in and would fall on its face and barely move. I know that needle could be a problem but don't think it is. Isles right about 200 degrees and will rev nicely. Old needle barely ran and ran very cold. And yeah I got some plugs just warmer weather plugs. And plug gapper is locked up in the mechanics box till tomorrow didn't have much time to run to the store to get one to properly gap a new one. The one in put in was good just replaced it when I got the new corsa put in. Before I had 5.5s in it but I changed those when I put the blue spring in. One thing at a time i know. I will learn that lesson eventually.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

There are 2 types of bogs, a chugging bog or starving for fuel is usually a sign of a lean condition and will leave you reving but going no where. The second big is more of a flat deep growl and usually mean your rich and drownding your motor and will eventually lead to a fouled plug. It sounds to me your in the lean state? Possably the new needle is a much leaner needle. If your getting good idle with the air screw set between 1.25- 1.75 turns out then you have the right pilot and need to move on to main jet tuning. Carbs are defiantly a tricky subject and can send the best tuners to the madhouse but once you don't the sweet spot that Corsa will rip and it will all be worth it. I use this site for all my tuning it helps greatly. http://scootrs.com/tech.cfm?tip=tunecarb
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

thanks for all the info guys its much appreciated. I will work on some jets today and see if there is any change.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Check that needle. As you can see, they come in all sorts of different tapers , lengths, etc. There should also be a code engraved on your original needle to match it up. Or you can do some fine tuning with a kit like this.
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_p3420129
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~