Jetting my first time

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Jetting my first time

Post by MrJumps »

bonesv wrote:Mr J, you may need to source another exhaust gasket. The one you have is not doing the job. Find one made out of all metal. Take the old gasket with you to help you find the right size when you go around to different motorcycle shops. Also, I would tighten the flange bolts first and use thick washers to help spread the pressure, then tighten the two bolts on the side. You can not let that leak at all. Keep checking it until you are certain it will not leak while riding it.
I know its just agervating, it stopped leaking then the head started, like d*** stop it bore nonono dont do that * scary cat noises * lol No riding until its dryer than dry eyes lol.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Bones is spot-on in his assertion. What pipe do you have? A lot of the more-affordable exhausts I have owned had flanges that were under-sized - too thin and bendy metal. Pull the pipe and make sure the flange surface is dead-flat. Then you have to hang the canister down at the engine block LOOSELY, then address the seal at the exhaust port. Use a torque wrench and take it up in steps to 11 or 13 pounds, observing closely for the point at which the gasket material starts to crush. If you OVER-tighten, the "ears" of the flange bend into a banana shape and open gaps inside the seal area. It has to be "tight enough" but no tighter. Heavy washers as Bones suggested are a Great Idea, but make sure they lay flat.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Bones is spot-on in his assertion. What pipe do you have? A lot of the more-affordable exhausts I have owned had flanges that were under-sized - too thin and bendy metal. Pull the pipe and make sure the flange surface is dead-flat. Then you have to hang the canister down at the engine block LOOSELY, then address the seal at the exhaust port. Use a torque wrench and take it up in steps to 11 or 13 pounds, observing closely for the point at which the gasket material starts to crush. If you OVER-tighten, the "ears" of the flange bend into a banana shape and open gaps inside the seal area. It has to be "tight enough" but no tighter. Heavy washers as Bones suggested are a Great Idea, but make sure they lay flat.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Update tried an 105 main with needle 1 clip lean and all it did was pop, spit gas, and not move, moved to 102 jet and acts a little better I can kinda drive it up the hill. When I put the 102 in it almost wouldnt start took a lot of kicking, cursing, and putting my hand over the carb. I put just 3 rollers in the vari that way it would take off easier and still nothing. Spits fuel, no power, pop pop pop.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

MrJumps wrote:Update tried an 105 main with needle 1 clip lean and all it did was pop, spit gas, and not move, moved to 102 jet and acts a little better I can kinda drive it up the hill. When I put the 102 in it almost wouldnt start took a lot of kicking, cursing, and putting my hand over the carb. I put just 3 rollers in the vari that way it would take off easier and still nothing. Spits fuel, no power, pop pop pop.
Just work with it to get the idle jet smoothed out first. Then try to get the 102 to work by raising the needle jet one notch at a time while watching your temp gauge and reading the spark plug. If you can't get the 102 to work, then do what the temps/plug tell you to do. Yea, I know it's a beotch to pull the freak'in carb apart every time.....blah, blah, blah....... :blah:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861