Finding an Oil Pump Delete Plug for NQ50.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Finding an Oil Pump Delete Plug for NQ50.

Post by Meatball »

I completely understand the logic behind that, Wheelman. However, I just cant believe what Im experiencing is typical of a bbk upgrade. The vibration is so intense that my hands and feet go numb after about 1 block. The bike is painful to ride for any length of time. I will tear into the final drive this morning and report back.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Can you tell if the frequency of the vibration changes more with engine RPM or with groundspeed? I'd begin by pulling the belt cover and starting the engine (with a drill...) and observing the pulleys and belt for side wobble.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

After going for a quick ride around the block I noticed theres a knocking sound coming from (what seems to be) the motor. It just doesn't sound healthy. The motor is running ok and compression tests great but that knocking sound is not normal. Im at a loss. I don't even know what to check. I pulled the side cover, pullys and belt off today and checked everything. Belt is within tolerance, clutch pads look only about half worn and there is zero play in crankshaft or rear shaft. Rear shaft spins freely and sounds good when spun by hand. I want to work on it but I don't have a clue on what the problem is....Also, I took the fan cover and fan off the other side. There is no play at all side-to-side on the stator but when I rotate it back and forth theres maybe 1/8" of play. I went and checked my neighbors fan on his Spree just to make sure and his is the same. Is this normal?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

is this where I should be?
Attachments
compression test.JPG
compression test.JPG (108.32 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Maybe the piston is slapping the head. Had that happen to me years ago when I went oversize piston on my express. I was stumped for a long time. And no bike mechanic could tell me what the noise was when I would ask. I would explain I bored it first oversize and it would make a cracking noise and not run right. Pull the head and I bet you will see dents in the head and piston. A little dremel work on the head may be needed. It's very simple. Take the head gasket and put it on the head, line up the holes and if you have small bolts to boltbthe gasket in place that's even better. Trace the inside diameter of the gasket with an exacto knife or box cutter, then mark with a marker over the line so you can as after you remove the gasket from the head. Then grind to the line. What you need is to grind the same profile of the edge of the combustion chamber to the line. Just follow the angle of the chamber as you go around. Could almost do it with a file. you need to remove so little to make it work its quick. I did it to my express works great.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Figured it out. The gasket that comes with the bbk kit doesn't have the cutout for one of the openings that are needed to properly oil the piston. The piston and bore are now toast. Im bummed. Trying to pm Taz to get more parts. Funny with all the threads on this topic you'd think somebody would mention that. Maybe they did but I didn't see it.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Really? I never cut anything on mine.... The gaskets looked the same to me. I hope mine isn't toast either :(
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Here it is next to an OEM gasket. Screwdriver points to where the notch is. You can see on the gasket that came with the kit where oil was trying to punch through...piston, rings and bore are all beyond usable.
Attachments
gaskets spree.JPG
gaskets spree.JPG (129.47 KiB) Viewed 6954 times
Last edited by Meatball on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

* im toast :(
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

For the record: This was 100% my fault. The kits are solid and made of top quality. I cant wait until my 2nd kit arrives and I can install it correctly this time. Waiting is the worst part. :smile:
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Show some pics of your piston and jug
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

No the kit is great. I didn't follow directions and forgot.to.cut the boost port on the base gasket.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

That boost port really should be cut as part of the kit... should not be up to the user.

Tazland, you need someone to cut gaskets for you? B/c that's right up my alley.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Assuming that the majority of people that are tinkering with a 1985 moped are not professional engine builders by trade, there really should be better step-by-step directions with the kit as well. I spent 30min trying to get the piston into the jug before realizing I had one of the rings upside down. I know the veteran scooter heads on this board are shaking their heads and laughing at my simple mistake but this was my first piston install. Im in my 40's and have worked on my cars my entire life doing everything from head gaskets to complete motor swaps but when it comes to engine building I leave that to the professionals. What started as a fun scooter rebuild project for me and my teenage Son quickly has turned into an expensive and frustrating lesson learned. At least since the Spree is broke down awaiting a new bbk, I was able to install something that just arrived in the mail.....a noiseguy air filter! :rock:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Isn't there a way to use coins to fill the hole? Like u.s. currency coins?