Super Duper Aero Scooter

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

turtle13
Elite
Elite

Re: Super Duper Aero Scooter

Post by turtle13 »

as long as you off set the motor with the mount the correct amount with the bracket and keep every thing on center it should be good though.
if you made a quick and cheap bracket with alot of play in it first as a mock up. then use spacers to get the spacing needed. you could then measure from there. this would allow you to play with the rear rim finding the exact one you want to run.
...or you could be smart and just do a lot of measuring and get it right the first time. i think the first idea would be more fun personally.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

you need to dump that nb-50 motor, keep the panels and try to copy my ultimate pro street aero :P
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

maddog wrote:you need to dump that nb-50 motor, keep the panels and try to copy my ultimate pro street aero :P
Link?
Photos?
Specs?
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

hey! what about my "pro-street Aero?" :o -ive got one too!!

i will have to find find my original post of "my aero 50 on steroids" and post the link to this post. my
pro-street Aero mini stroker Corsa turned out freaking awesome.

good luck with your build; if you plan on going with the AF16 "dio" engine the 1987 Elite engine mount works great to mount up the AF16 engine to the Aero frame. (the stock NB50 mount will offset the engine)

later, jon
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Wait, the NB50 mount offsets the motor?! What about the stock '94-'01 Elite mount? I remember reading that it fit if you changed some bushings, does that sound plausible to you since you've made this swap?

I have a AF16 I'm planning to swap into an Aero, so any info is HIGHLY appreciated.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

z50r-blank wrote:hey! what about my "pro-street Aero?" :o -ive got one too!!

i will have to find find my original post of "my aero 50 on steroids" and post the link to this post. my

good luck with your build; if you plan on going with the AF16 "dio" engine the 1987 Elite engine mount works great to mount up the AF16 engine to the Aero frame. (the stock NB50 mount will offset the engine)

later, jon

Here it is. Thanks!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

z50r-blank wrote:hey! what about my "pro-street Aero?" :o -ive got one too!!

later, jon
That is one amazing setup. I won't be doing an engine swap however. I am stuck with modifying the stock motor. But I am on the same page with you on taking it entirely apart and cleaning it before reassembly.

I do like your idea of using Met wheels in order to get larger tires. I didn't know the hubs would just plop right in there. Can the Met wheel fit on the stock Aero transmission?
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

correct me if I'm wrong, but the back wheel is a direct swap. the front however requires the met hub to be fitted to make the brakes work.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

turtle13 wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but the back wheel is a direct swap. the front however requires the met hub to be fitted to make the brakes work.
You're correct: The Aeros have smaller brake drums than the Metros and Dio/Elites.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

devenex wrote:
turtle13 wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but the back wheel is a direct swap. the front however requires the met hub to be fitted to make the brakes work.
You're correct: The Aeros have smaller brake drums than the Metros and Dio/Elites.
however is the met hub a direct swap in? or does there have to be modifications to make it work. better brakes is never a bad thing...
'62 125cc Honda cub
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Mine's an '87 NB50 Aero with the SE/05 block.

Back Wheel: I got a rear wheel from eBay reportedly off a 2003? Metropolitan. Tubeless rim and valve stem. 95mm brake drum. Bolted on, once I figured it was necessary to deflate the rear tire to thread the axle in.

Front Wheel: On the advice of several, I found a 95mm front brake panel off a 2000 Elite, which was also bolt-on. With that in place, my wheel from a 2001 (?) SR was also Bolt-0n. The brake is slightly better than the 80 it replaced. I can stop more than once now...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Front Wheel: On the advice of several, I found a 95mm front brake panel off a 2000 Elite, which was also bolt-on. With that in place, my wheel from a 2001 (?) SR was also Bolt-0n. The brake is slightly better than the 80 it replaced. I can stop more than once now...
By brake panel I assume you mean the parts that fit in and next to the brake drum that is part of the wheel?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yeah, I think so, if I understand your post Joe.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... &fveh=3639

The "Panel" is the circular plate upon which the brake lever/cam, brake linings, speedometer drive etc. are installed. The 2001 version fits the '87 Aero axle diameter as well as the retention boss in the fork - unmodified but for the later wheel with the larger 95mm drum. The Elite wheels to 2001 were tube-type. Later Metros were fitted with tubeless rims, but fitment of the hub bits is unknown to me.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Mine's an '87 NB50 Aero with the SE/05 block.

Back Wheel: I got a rear wheel from eBay reportedly off a 2003? Metropolitan. Tubeless rim and valve stem. 95mm brake drum. Bolted on, once I figured it was necessary to deflate the rear tire to thread the axle in.

Front Wheel: On the advice of several, I found a 95mm front brake panel off a 2000 Elite, which was also bolt-on. With that in place, my wheel from a 2001 (?) SR was also Bolt-0n. The brake is slightly better than the 80 it replaced. I can stop more than once now...
The back tire on my Aero currently is a 2.75x10. A 90/90 would be approx. .375 wider on each side. From the looks of it I have more than enough room for that. Does that sound right?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Remember I too am an Aerophiliac - '87 model. The 90/90-10 Pirelli fit this SE/AF05E and presumably those of the 87-'93 Elites with room to spare at the front and sides. If the rear shock is stock, replace with a DayWOT 270 Blue or it will frequently kiss bodywork and/or frame if you hit a bump at deep lean. It looks to me like a 3.50 would fit too, but I've never attempted to install one. The advantage would be a smidge more ground covered per tire revolution.

Your calculations sound correct but I haven't done the math. You don't want me doin' math
Wheelman-111