Wideband o2 sensor to tune scooter

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

Re: Wideband o2 sensor to tune scooter

Post by steffen707 »

I finally understand what was meant that the trans and carb need to be tuned together.

I'm going to post this in the other thread I started about more of the tune as well. To some of you guys this will probably sound stupid and elementary, but IÔÇÖm hoping somebody like myself that reads this post in the future can save some headaches.

I was having 1/8-1/4 lean condition as well as a rich bog issue around 6000rpm. I was kinda chasing my tail with making one thing better but screwing up another at the same time.

I read something on another site and it dawned on me, with the PG long I wasnÔÇÖt making any power under 6000rpm, so with the advice from lots of you I finally tried tuning the trans. I ended up breaking the clutch springs that I had on the scooter from before because I couldnÔÇÖt get them off. I put on some (what I think are 2k) clutch springs. My fianc├® doesnÔÇÖt know where her kitchen gram scale is, so I left the roller weights in and took the scoot for another ride.
Now the clutch engages right around 6000-6500, and I donÔÇÖt have the wussy no power lean situation I was getting when it was engaging at like 3500rpm. Also the bog issue around 6,000 is almost eliminated. The scooter is driveable and fun. I need to tune the roller weights and possibly change the 1500 contra/center spring so I get into the 8500+ power range because thatÔÇÖs when its really hauling.

So the moral of my tuning dilemma is that, I should have gotten the carb to run decent, then tune the trans to the desired powerband, and then go back and fine tune the carb if needed.
Thanks to all of you that have given me tips and advice. This scooter is so much fun now, and its not even fully tuned up. :coolcruise:

P.S. I'll try and get some video of the wideband stuff, and also upload some of the datalogging. It uses a serial cable, and I had to find an old laptop that even had a serial connection (or buy a usb/serial adapter)
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Your in the right direction. Any one can slap together a build. Tuning everything is the hardest part. Just keep in mind that a heavy duty clutch set up will eat your belt faster. Your probably going to be fine with the 1500. Any higher is overkill unless your wheeling all over or trying to race. I had good luck with the polini naturals. Im currently running a 2k center and 2k grabbers. Sucks for riding through town and in traffick but my sef copy loves them and they help with 55mph wheelies. I only ran the naturals with a yms typhoon. Polini springs are the way to go they last a good while and installation seems easier than taiwain stuff
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

I ought a gopro hero2 last night for some go kart racing i'm doing for my bachelor party. Now I get get some sweet video of the transmission in action while riding, as well as some footage of the wideband in action for anybody interested.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges