Super Duper Aero Scooter

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Re: Super Duper Aero Scooter

Post by GIJoeBob »

As this is my first custom job, I have decided to just stretch the frame and not worry about the extended swing arm and raking the front fork.

I do want to put a set of drag bars on so I will need to know how to install an aftermarket speedometer.
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

Post by capturedbyrobots »

Usually you can get any small chinese scooter speedo (all in one unit)
and it will just screw onto your old cable.
That's what I did for my Jog.

Now if it's accurate, that's another story.

I personally suggest a small GPS.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I have the machine totally disassembled. Most of it has been put through the parts washer. I'll have my 7 year old son sandblast the wheels (he loves that part) before prime and paint.

I'll be going classic rat rod for the color scheme - flat black frame, engine, etc. with red wheels and hopefully whitewall tires.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I want these tires for my Aero.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/ ... -Tire.aspx

I have been told I can take a Met back wheel and it will fit right on the engine with no modification. That would take care of the back wheel.

What can I do on the front to make it accept a 3 inch tire?
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I don't know what prevents a 3" tire in the front, but I have read about ppl using a heat gun to make the fender soft and remolding it to fit bigger tires.

So if plastic is all that stands in the way this is a proven solution (ppl were talking about it on hawaii forums).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

devenex wrote:I don't know what prevents a 3" tire in the front, but I have read about ppl using a heat gun to make the fender soft and remolding it to fit bigger tires.

So if plastic is all that stands in the way this is a proven solution (ppl were talking about it on hawaii forums).
Well, that's easy enough because I am not using a fender on the front or back.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

im running 90/90-10 in the front, i shimmed the fender up with a washer, works great. with no washer, the tire rubbed through the fender, haha
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Photos of the Aero as it sits now-

z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

GiJoeBob,

looks like a perfect Aero to me!! :D -and it looks like you have a great start to your project... be sure to keep us posted on your progress. -that's the ONLY way to do a scooter project; strip it down to nothing, take your time and go from there.

i need to post pics of what my Aero looked like when i bought it. it looked like it had lived its whole life outside rotting in a junkyard AFTER the numerous owners had jumped it off a cliff. it looked like garbage, and that's an understatement. :lol:

later man, thanks for posting up pics. jon
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I was looking through bikepics.com and found a bike that is setup something like I am hoping to do with my Aero.

As you can see, that is a bicycle front end, so I dug through my stash and did this-

I'll have to cut the neck to get this to work, but I think I can do it. I will also have to stretch the frame more than 3 inches as I was thinking. It is going to have to be more like a foot, but I also plan on having a top tube to mount gas and oil tanks so that should stiffen the frame enough.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

I have a 108cc full stroker aero loaded with every japan option i could find, i have no competion what so ever, i am the aero king and i love it :P
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

maddog wrote:I have a 108cc full stroker aero loaded with every japan option i could find, i have no competion what so ever, i am the aero king and i love it :P
I'd like to see some pics and video of this monster.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

GiJoeBob wrote:I was looking through bikepics.com and found a bike that is setup something like I am hoping to do with my Aero.
You find the d*** most interesting photos. I've had scooter parts on bikes for fun, but it never occurred to me to put bike forks on a scooter.

Tidy shop you run there. Aero parts lounging on shop towels, Hammers all neatly hung together :) :)
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

Post by capturedbyrobots »

What an ingenious design option with the MTN bike forks.
Never thought of that either.......
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

GIJoeBob wrote: I have been told I can take a Met back wheel and it will fit right on the engine with no modification. That would take care of the back wheel.
Its going nicely. Can't wait to see it finished. I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm not really that good at reading the schematics and whatnot so I'll just ask: will the met wheel fit on the back of an 83/84 style Aero? I know they are different in most respects.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree