Alot of smoke after big bore, is this normal?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Alot of smoke after big bore, is this normal?

Post by novs86 »

Ok I installed the new polini bore kit in my Aero 50. It starts right up but there is alot more smoke. Is this normal? I left all initial screw settings the same on my carb and added the new jet that came with the bore kit. I added a couple cap fuls of oil to my gas as well.It starts right up but sounds a little different. I don't think its engine knock but could be wrong, as well as a lot of smoke and no top end.
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Alot of smoke after big bore, is this normal?

Post by burnt_toast »

did u use lots of oil for lube when installing cyl over piston?

could still be burning it all off, how much oil did u add to gas tank and what was gas tank level?
projects galore :nerd:
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

After Big Bore and Keli Variator, no top end at all?

Post by novs86 »

Ok it no longer is smoking. It must have been like you said toast just burn off from when I lubbed the piston before installation. BUT Like all of you have said on here many times to take it easy during burn in which is what I was doing. I was not going to exceed 40MPH. I dont even go 37 now though! I installed bore kit and keli variator. What the heck did I do wrong? Do I need a new belt? Didi I do something wrong with the carb? Do I need to adjust it some how? The Aero 50 went 34MPH before I installed the parts.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Simplest thing first would be to do a plug chop to make sure its jetted right for your exhaust/airbox setup. If they are both factory you may be running too rich - its usually anticipated that a big bore gets added with a performance pipe.

If it had been the standard variator, I would have suspected its just a limitation of stock gearing, but the Kelli should allow more belt travel and give a slightly higher top end. Maybe you can try slightly heavier rollers if your take-off is OK and the jetting does not fix it.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

[quote="Clivester"]Simplest thing first would be to do a plug chop to make sure its jetted right for your exhaust/airbox setup. If they are both factory you may be running too rich - its usually anticipated that a big bore gets added with a performance pipe.

Whats a plug chopand what should I be getting out of my current setup as far as perfomance?
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

novs86 wrote:Whats a plug chopand what should I be getting out of my current setup as far as perfomance?
Plug chopping is the process of checking fuel/air mixture by examining you spark plug. The scooter is run under certain conditions, after which the plug is removed and state of fuel mixture assessed by color.

Check the tech. docs. section for instructions. You absolutely need to do this with a bigger cylinder swap.

Perhaps you could remind us of your current setup (cc, exhaust, air filter).

I'll wait to see if Wheelman jumps in here re: expectations, as he's a regular poster and got plenty of Aero 50 experience.
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

86 Aero 50 is stock with new polini bore kit and keli variator. I set it up according to the instructions from Daywot.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

novs86 wrote:86 Aero 50 is stock with new polini bore kit and keli variator. I set it up according to the instructions from Daywot.
what were his instructions?

regardless, you need to TUNE first, and yes plug chops for sure if you cant monitor cyl head temps

setup should be good for solid 45mph with peppy acceleration
projects galore :nerd:
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

This is what was given to me with bore kit about tunning

"Before putting the side faring and seat back on be sure to start up the engine and listen for anything abnormal. Let it idle a bit before taking it for a test drive. DO NOT GO TOO FAST OR TOO HARD before you have properly tuned the engine.

During break-in period (200 miles) you should place a capful of high quality 2 stroke oil into the gas tank. This is of course in addition to the high quality 2 stroke oil you put into the oil reservoir. Bel-Ray or Motul are excellent choices. These can be found at your local motorcycle or scooter shop. Do not drive too hard during break in period.

It is ok to continue to use your existing oil injector. You do not need to convert to Pre-mix unless you prefer to do this or your engine requires it (free flow exhaust, larger carburetor, etc).

The Polini big bore kit can be used with your existing factory carburetor. Just be sure to richen the mixture as much as possible. A larger jet is recommended. In addition, you will need to place needle clip on lowest notch. This raises needle for max gas delivery. Also, adjust air screw for max gas. Keep in mind that the Polini cylinder kit is a universal kit designed to fit many different scooters (both European and Asian). With that said, the jet (if included) may or may not fit your carburetor. You can also obtain a jet drill kit to increase the size of your factory jet in the event the jet in the kit does not fit. This hand drill kit can be purchased at your local hobby store. "

The jet was included and was installed after I cleaned the carb with gumout carb cleaner and I did adjust needle clip on lowest notch as Daywot said in this instruction sheet.
What do I do now?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

a plug chop is a procedure to get the most accurate information from your plug reading. basically, if the plug is light grey to white, this is bad, your a/f ratio is lean. if its tan/light brown, it is good. if its dark brown or black and sooty, its rich. slightly rich is better than lean, as it contributes to cooling, and lean will eventually put a merry little hole in your piston. carburetor tuning is a vast subject, but with only the polini cylinder, the stock carb is sufficient. a good way i have found is to mark increments on the throttle, idle, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and wot. run each position for a 1/4 mile or so and see if there is any bogging, surging or other funniness. if there is, you must identify whether it is rich or lean, and jet accordingly. usually on these carbs, since there is no pilot jet adjustment other than drilling, playing with the main jet and needle works out any bugs. check your plug, it sounds to me like its rich. 105 is what im running, with a LV SP3 and uni filter.
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

novs86 wrote:playing with the main jet and needle works out any bugs. check your plug, it sounds to me like its rich. 105 is what im running, with a LV SP3 and uni filter.
What do you mean playing with the main jet. Thats the one I replaced and is screwed all the way in. The needle is at the lowest richest setting. I checked the spark plug and it is brown not white. Ive played with both screws starting at the initial setting in the service manual and going in qtr increments from there. As far as the 45 MPH. I 'm no where near that. I'm at 36 to 37MPH now and was at 34 before starting. It seems to have better take off then before. I'm a patiant person and am very appeciative of the help I'm receiving. Just a little disappointed so far. I know its probably my fault in the tuning but even with slightly off tuning I should be doing better than I am with top end speed I would think?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

is there any bogging or surging, anything where the engine does not run completely smoothly? it sounds like everything is close, check the drive belt, i replaced mine and got 10mph on the top speed. service limit is 14mm or so, i think. the larger displacement wont necessarily equal huge gains in top speed. some variator tuning may be in order as well.
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

Thats where I was leaning to. How can you tell if its worn?

Should I decarbonize the exhaust? I dont know if it ever been done. What would the result be from that?
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

novs86 wrote: I checked the spark plug and it is brown not white. Ive played with both screws starting at the initial setting in the service manual and going in qtr increments from there.
Its the shade of brown that's important. Should be gray-brown to chocolate brown. If its dark brown you may be too rich. Plus you should read the plug (preferably a new one) after shutting off at WOT if that is where your problem is.

Changing the mixture screw only affects idle - it won't change your top 1/4 throttle mixture.
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

Taking a break from that. I currently have pipe in drano outside. Its been out there over 2 1/2 hours and tons of carbon has spilled out of it. This has probably never been cleaned out. So far it seems to be working great. I hope this helps my current situation.