How to split a AF16e case for noobs. Plus 120cc install

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Limp1144
Elite
Elite

How to split a AF16e case for noobs. Plus 120cc install

Post by Limp1144 »

Hi guys i am a noob when it comes to splitting cases but i want to do a 120cc stroker. So guys order you spare engine from Mr. Pibb and get it in 2 days super fast. Also talk to your ruima manufacturer and have your wife help

Step 1:
Get your case looking bare like this. I polished the case for 3 minutes then a piece of metal got stuck in my eye. It bleed for 2 minutes. Lesson wear safety glasses.

Step 2:
Go to oreillys auto parts and use there flywheel puller. I used the one for valves i think, could be gear puller. Take your motor there and they will let you use it. Rent it 29.99 then get your money back when you return it. Sorry no pic of this broke a screw driver. Use a 3/8" extension to hold the rod in place. Then say a prayer and get scared when it pops off and hits your friend. Also remove key out of crank shaft

Step 3:
Take the oil injector off and remove a few bolts to get it off. Also remove wiring harness from starter. Then remove starter

Step 4:
Remove the harness from case and take magneto off. Magneto will be stuck on every time. Use my technique very carefully.
Image Is that bird seeds in there. Mr. Pibb youÔÇÖre too kind.

Image Tap Tap please come loose magneto. Now it will pull off.

Step 4: Remove the 6 case bolts and remember order they come out.

Step 5:
Split the case now the trick is to use a rubber hammer and tap all around the case on the flywheel side. I had no luck using this technique. Be like me and say I hate the stock crank and I want a 52.6mm crank to go balls fast. So I put a nut on the variator side and beat the SH%^ out of the bolt on the crank till the case popped apart. YAY
Image Now Beat the SH%^ out of the other side to pop it out.

Step 6: Tap the old seals out use an extension with a 5/8 socket or a 14-15mm socket
Image nice and easy please

Sorry guys this is all I got. I only had an hour to spare.
Last edited by Limp1144 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: How to split a AF16e case for noobs 25 pics.

Post by burnt_toast »

Thanks for sharing, useful info
projects galore :nerd:
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Just beware about the block. new crank bearings to test on crank case , if the bearing flush in too easy, Then you will need a new crank case! bearing wont hold good on a case, then you got problem! bearing need to be very tight in crankcase then it is good. Just need a digital caliper measurement on outer bearing and measure it on a block to see if bearing can hold on it. :mrgreen:

the crank look good and fine , but got damage thread end. If you got a proper tool crankcase split tool and crank installer made job easy. :D just take about 5 mins to split case.
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

sorry guys i do not have any of the big$$$$$ tools for the case they cost to much i know the new bearing will have to be pressed on. I will have to use my secret technique for getting the case to close without having the tools. My secret is the freezer. Freeze crank then put crank bearings on. Free crank and bearing then install int block very easy no need for a high dollar crank puller tool.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

loctite sleeve retaining compound works wonders for a loose fitting bearing
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

thanks guys if i have loose bearings lock tight or jb weld haha :D
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Hey, glad to hear it worked out. Let me know how it goes when it is all finished.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Limp1144 wrote:sorry guys i do not have any of the big$$$$$ tools for the case they cost to much i know the new bearing will have to be pressed on. I will have to use my secret technique for getting the case to close without having the tools. My secret is the freezer. Freeze crank then put crank bearings on. Free crank and bearing then install int block very easy no need for a high dollar crank puller tool.
if you put the bearing on the crank first you will damage the bearing because to much stress will be on the races when pulling the bearing and crank into the case.plus if you pull the crank in the case angled you will damge the case.press the bearing in first than pull the crank through the bearing.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Another method that works is to heat up the bearing seat on the case halves. Depending on the heat source, it may take 10 or so minutes to heat up the area to expand it to allow the bearing to slide in easily. We use a very high wattage heat gun and most of the time we can get the whole bearing to fall in with no problems. We do follow up with the press just in case to make sure everything fits in.

Warning! Just make sure you don't touch any of the hot surfaces, use gloves, eye protection and make sure you don't do this in an area where unburnt fuel, fuel containers, carbs or any other igniteable objects are around.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

do to the feedback i am going to have the bearings pressed in and i am going to freeze the crank for assembly
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Boy i bet when my Dad and i screwed something up when we put the case back together on my 88 SA50.

We had the bearings on the crank and then inserted it into the case. Hammered it in a little with a rubber hammer as it was really tight. Since we were unable to put the case together cause the bearing was'nt in all the way, we just put the other case half on and used the bolts to pull it all together flush. We screwed in the scews a turn each alternating the bolts in a criss cross formation. Sorry late and tired.. hehe brain dont want to work so i cant figure out the correct term for it.

It runs an all.. Just cant get it to change gears. Was suggested that i may need new variator weights or the weights are stuck.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

Thanks eclypse.
The bearings might not be in place if it is not shifting.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Limp1144 wrote:Thanks eclypse.
The bearings might not be in place if it is not shifting.
Well i gota say that dont sound good! Are you sure? How would we beable to close the case if the bearings were not all the way seated correctly?
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

shifting could be the crank not sticking thru enough for the variator and clutch to align good but i am not expert. could be missing some rollers. these guys can answer your problem better than i can. I havent had any problem with scooter shifting gears
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Actually i think i've finally figured out what my prob is with shifting. My Dad and i put the belt on wrong! lol. Unbelieveable! I was looking threw the service manual and noticed where they show how to take the variator on and off and the belt.. We put the belt on after the flywheel was on! So the d*** belt is riding ontop of the variator and not between the variator and the flywheel! LOL!

God i wish i could pull it off and fix it right now but i gota wait for my old man to come over with some tools so we can grab ahold of the altinator so we can get that nut off the flywheel and fix the belt.

Wish i had a impact wrench.. I just bought one on ebay so thats gona take a week to get.