44mm spree big bore kit installation time!!!!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spreetard
Elite
Elite

44mm spree big bore kit installation time!!!!

Post by Spreetard »

:mrgreen: it's here!!!!

time for the 57cc spree!! the tazland big bore kit arrived at Traffic Jamz today :twisted:

instead of taking the head to a machine shop, we clearanced the head with "the magic stick" (dremel with a long flex attatchment and a solid carbide rotozip tile cutting bit, it cuts/grinds just about anything 8) ) then touched up with sand paper and sandblasting. figured if we screwed it up, we've got spare heads. turned out nice. i'll post pics up when my camera is working.
we used the new head gasket as a template and marked out the new, bigger diameter piston opening. then after taping off the gasket surface and screwing a dowel into the spark plug whole, it was off to the bead blast cabinet.
the exhaust port is being left stock untill after the break-in. bored intake, open k&n style cone filter (modified breather filter).
the 95 jet that came with the kit is now in the very clean carb. the bore needs honed, but i'm getting it running tomorrow. i will try to come up with a camera too :roll:

the piston not only 3mm bigger, the rings are thicker. laughed when i saw 49cm3 cast into it, the dmv will NEVER KNOW :mrgreen: just a little white lie :roll:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Re: 44mm spree big bore kit installation time!!!!

Post by Spreetard »

initial compression test: 150 psi. i can't wait till the rings seat :shock: i'm satisfied with the build so far. tomorrow's agenda, mount engine back on frame, listen to the nq57 purr :D
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I'm glad you reported on this. I bought the same kit for my Elite E, but since it is running good, I'll wait for the upgrade. Why fix what ain't broke. Wife is happy with it the way it is. It's her bike.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

well, i've watched the project snowball before my eyes rapidly. while waiting for an engine shroud (thanx a million, bradthree :D ), it was decided that the frame needed streightened and sand blasted. there are no two pieces (short of the now fully assembled engine) that are attatched to one another. the frame will be reciving some bracing to keep the caster angle solidly fixed in place :D
scrapped the oil injection, opting for a nice heavy premix. going to use the oil tank as a reserve fuel tank.
we've got cars to work on, so our toys are being pushed back, but within the week, she should be assembled and break-in started :mrgreen: pics soon on the way, i stole my friend's wife's camera for the day...

question of the day: what is the best way to remove the crappy old paint job without damaging the plastics???
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Post by bigluelok »

pics :shock: and as for the paint i would just sand it a bit since its platic enough to remove the clear. then primer it and paint
CH80
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

what is the best way to remove the crappy old paint job without damaging the plastics???
Elbow grease. :? Yeah, I know... I've got a similar project with what I believe to have been a pit bike rapidly rattle can painted between races. :roll: Nothing wrong with rattle can if done properly, but this one is the pits... No wonder I think it was a pit bike. :|
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Heat cycle #1 is COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!
barely had to bump the starter over, and the mighty nq57 sprung to life!!!!!
the initial plume of smoke was reminiscent of a mighty volcano erupting, acompanied by the roar of the free flow filter on the intake. after the exessive engine pre-lube burnt off, the heavy premix smoke from the 30:1 oil mix took over.

the rat bike looks bare right now, idles great but bogs under throttle at midrange rpm's, still no high revs. i may have to mess with the airflow to match the jetting, and the exhaust probably could use a good cleaning, as it rattles when you shake it...

gotta work out the bugs, but today is a good day :D
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

the initial plume of smoke was reminiscent of a mighty volcano erupting,
I've rebuilt two in recent months and busted them off inside a shop with no windows. Argh!! Just a few seconds and I'm ready to kill it and move outside.

Sounds like you need to play with jetting and airbox. I'm still tuning the airbox situation on the 50mm SR50 and waiting on muffler.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Lunytune wrote:
Sounds like you need to play with jetting and airbox. I'm still tuning the airbox situation on the 50mm SR50 and waiting on muffler.
yeah, i took the filter off today and it runs better, the 95 jet may prove to be a bit much, i'm waiting untill the superheavy premix is out of the picture (40:1 instead of current 30:1) and i still have to clean the mufffler. then i get to enter the relm of plug chops...

tuning is a laborous and rewarding process...
Ol' Red
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

yeah, i took the filter off today and it runs better, the 95 jet may prove to be a bit much, i'm waiting untill the superheavy premix is out of the picture (40:1 instead of current 30:1) and i still have to clean the mufffler. then i get to enter the relm of plug chops...
You don't have to wait until the premix is burned up. The original jet was a 68. You only increased displacement 3cc. That's not a whole lot, definitely not deserving a 95. Tazland needs to send a smaller jet than that . I would think a 78 would be more appropriate.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Lunytune wrote: You don't have to wait until the premix is burned up. The original jet was a 68. You only increased displacement 3cc. That's not a whole lot, definitely not deserving a 95. Tazland needs to send a smaller jet than that . I would think a 78 would be more appropriate.
He increased it 8cc, from 49cc to 57cc
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

toboggan wrote:
Lunytune wrote: You don't have to wait until the premix is burned up. The original jet was a 68. You only increased displacement 3cc. That's not a whole lot, definitely not deserving a 95. Tazland needs to send a smaller jet than that . I would think a 78 would be more appropriate.
He increased it 8cc, from 49cc to 57cc
And that is still way less than a 10% increase. I agree, a 95 is over kill and being that rich can retard break-in or ruin the bore.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Bear45-70 wrote:
toboggan wrote: He increased it 8cc, from 49cc to 57cc
And that is still way less than a 10% increase.
??
8cc is a 16% increase over 49cc. Is this not what you mean?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mr pibbs wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
toboggan wrote: He increased it 8cc, from 49cc to 57cc
??
I need to start using a calculator instead of trusting my old wore out math skills.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Bear45-70 wrote:
mr pibbs wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
??
I need to start using a calculator instead of trusting my old wore out math skills.
It's ok bear. we all do that sometimes. lol