Taiwan 66cc kit installed

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Taiwan 66cc kit installed

Post by SpyderMike »

well my 66cc kit came in the mail yesterday...and it seems legit

the bore just looks to me like a stock bore that has been over bored w/ a larger piston and it uses the stock head w/ no cutting needed
got it installed in a hair over 40min, put the key in, flipped the switch, and looked down to see this

i thought "thats probably not good"...but off kicking i went anyway and it started right up
let it idle for about 20min (meanwhile adjusting the idle for the new 24% displacement increase) and shut her down for about 30min
did that twice last night but i had to work today and i have no other wheels so i was forced to drive it the 2.3 miles to work babying it the whole way
while the bike was parked at work i put her threw about 6-7 more heat cycles before noon (not that busy at work today)
took it out for lunch for a 2.7 mile ride to the tech school, sat for 15 min then took it to the nearest deli for a sandwich, a little over 3 miles
well the rings must have set while my sandwich was getting made cause on my .5mile trip back to work...man... thats all i can say

i figured i had a little room to hold the throttle WOT for a sec or 2 on a straight stretch but as i pulled out the deli parking lot onto a side street i blipped it to about 1/2 throttle and the d*** front wheel lifted off the ground! i almost dumped the d*** thing cause i wasent ready for that s***

as it sits right now the 66 kit pulls harder at 1/2 throttle than my slightly ported stock bore did at WOT...once the break in is over ill give a full report of top speeds

and heres some install pics for good measure
mookie
Elite
Elite

Re: Taiwan 66cc kit installed

Post by mookie »

negative on the pics- cant see.
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hah - 6660 miles at installation day :)
Thanks for the pics, write up and wheelie warnings!
Hard to see but maybe you have a pod filter on the carb? Any other changes - jets, exhaust?
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

mousewheels wrote:Hah - 6660 miles at installation day :)
Thanks for the pics, write up and wheelie warnings!
Hard to see but maybe you have a pod filter on the carb? Any other changes - jets, exhaust?
oh yea i guess i could leave that info too :P

as of right now its stock exhaust w/ a pod filter (UNI) jet drilled to around 97 in the stock carb and it seems to be running a little rich
and ruck vari and 9.8-1 gears
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice job both on assembly and photo-documentation. For the record, what is the engine and in what frame?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Nice job both on assembly and photo-documentation. For the record, what is the engine and in what frame?
99SR motor in an elite E frame :twisted:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

SpyderMike submits:
99SR motor in an elite E frame
:twisted:
Altogether boys and girls, can you say "Power-to-weight ratio?" An enviable project. Nice job!
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

SpyderMike submits:
99SR motor in an elite E frame
:twisted:
Altogether boys and girls, can you say "Power-to-weight ratio?" An enviable project. Nice job!
well for an extra $10 i could have gone your route w/ the 75cc nik-a-sil bore...but ize dont gots none them fancy measurein thangs like youz gots :P

if i would have bought a vapor gauge first then i probably would have went the same route as you, as i could have followed behind you learning from you mistakes/findings 8)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

SpyderMike submits:
if i would have bought a vapor gauge first then i probably would have went the same route as you, as i could have followed behind you learning from you mistakes/findings
Regrets?
I've had a few.
But then again,
Too few to mention. :cry:

If you're sticking with the stock carb sans airbox (Open pod?), try a 105 for starters. With SA box and well-oiled filter it's closer to 88 methinks.
Wheelman-111
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

let us know when it blows cuz it will blow :lol:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

maddog wrote:let us know when it blows cuz it will blow :lol:
so is this something that you know based on experience??? or is this just more random s*** talking you like to take part in??
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Ya been there done that and i had the proper gear ratio meaning you don't want the front end to lift, the rings are cheap carbon and should be chrome molly, the cylinder should be ni-si treated.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

Nicasil is for aluminum cylinders- It is used as a hard surface treatment so an iron sleeve does not have to be used. Iron cylinders have no need for nicasil coating.
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

Actually I take that back- looking into it further some manufacturers do use nikasil on iron bores for friction reduction- my bad.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

maddog wrote:Ya been there done that and i had the proper gear ratio meaning you don't want the front end to lift, the rings are cheap carbon and should be chrome molly, the cylinder should be ni-si treated.
my gear ratio is 9.8-1 right now...but if this kit seems to work ill probably be switching to 8.4-1

the kit looks to me as if they just bored out a stock cylinder and opened the exhaust port slightly (it still says 49cc on the casting)

idk...ill wait and see, if it blows it blows hopefully by then i got the $$ for a more top of the line kit