Carving Out For a Ruckus

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Carving Out For a Ruckus

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So as I understand it, the ruckus variator is a couple mm bigger than the Aero/Elite's. This may give a bit more "overdrive" at max belt displacement, with no downside on the low-end. However the bigger diameter requires carving out some space in the crankcase starter housing.

I also know that some aftermarket variators for the Elite are a mm or two bigger than the stock ones. Does anyone know if the Aftermarket Ruckus variators are similarly oversized compared to the Stock Ruckus units? If so, is there still enough room in the Elite case to carve room for one of those, instead of installing a stock Ruck vario?

Several of the aftermarket Ruckus variators promise better performance than stock on a Ruck, and are actually cheaper than purchasing stock Honda parts.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Wheelman-111

Ruckus & Aftermarket Ruckus Variators

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Does anyone have the diameters? Elite, polini-for-Elite = + 2mm; Ruckus, Polini-for-Ruckus...= ?
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Re: Carving Out For a Ruckus

Post by scooterwerx »

ehhh, i cut about .030 off the OD to get the ruck variator to clear the starter deal...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks, always helpful Werx! My goal is to run as much diameter as I can make fit in the SA16 cases. Next time you pop the cover off, can you shoot me your net diameter?

Stock Elite = 87.55mm
= 3.447" get us started.
Wheelman-111
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i have a ruckus variator coming, when it arrives, i will measure its unmolested diameter
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Did you get yours from Honda? I've seen an aftermarket version called Posh, reputedly an upgrade from stock. It doesn't look any different/bigger than the stock unit, as far as one can tell from pictures. I'm just debating between a stock Honda part, which would run about $60 with the ramp plate and guides. (I gather one uses the stock SA (or SE) pulley boss, as the variator ID is the same?) As long as a Posh isn't any bigger, it might be both cheaper and better.

Spyder, you know anything? How 'bout them pics?
Wheelman-111
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

ive been scooping up all my ruckus buddies stock ones! i think the aftermarket ones are larger, though.
Wheelman-111

Ruckus Vario Measure.

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Werx, have you not measured one?
Wheelman-111
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Did you get yours from Honda? I've seen an aftermarket version called Posh, reputedly an upgrade from stock. It doesn't look any different/bigger than the stock unit, as far as one can tell from pictures. I'm just debating between a stock Honda part, which would run about $60 with the ramp plate and guides. (I gather one uses the stock SA (or SE) pulley boss, as the variator ID is the same?) As long as a Posh isn't any bigger, it might be both cheaper and better.

Spyder, you know anything? How 'bout them pics?
yes i used the stock SA pulley boss

and heres some pics...not the greatest but it shows how close the clearance is

scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

93mm, or thereabouts. thats 3.665" or so.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ever helpful ScooteWerx! Thanks!

Now if I could only get a vendor to supply the Posh's dimensions.
Wheelman-111
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

ruckivation for project sprio

Post by Spreetard »

did anyone ever figure out if the aftermarket rukivator is too big? i'm thinking of ordering one, i need to know if i should go for a stock rukus vari,, or if an aftermarket would be better...
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Wheelman-111

Wheelman Munches Metal

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I finally sourced an aftermarket Ruckus variator. The Vendor said it measured 93mm. Turns out this particular brand - unknown but looks like Polini stuff - was actually 97mm from edge to edge of its generous flange:

That's the Polini for Aero/Elite on the left. It was already a snug fit at 90 mm. Stock is 87.5 as we've seen above. That meant hacking the cases to the tune of an extra 3.5mm, a job too long and tedious for a grinding stone, even with a 30,000-RPM Roto-Zip providing the motive force.

Instead I used a reinforced cutting wheel to remove case material by slices, rather than grinding it away. Turned out pretty good:

OK so my pictures still suck, but here's another view:
Now I'm running the Polini 248.006 long belt (about 15mm longer than stock) with a shim to allow rear-pulley rim-running for strong take-off and now a bigger front pulley to permit full penetration at max RPM. Top speed had been tranny-limited to 57 and change with this setup. I suspect the taller variator "gearing" will now allow something more than that. Testing remains to be done.
Wheelman-111
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Re: Wheelman Munches Metal

Post by sanjuro »

Wheelman-111 wrote:...a bigger front pulley to permit full penetration at max RPM.
That just sounds dirty. :lol:

Anyways, as-far-as Ruckus variators go the Polini has a wider overall diameter, and then the Posh and KN are about stock Ruckus variator size. When I used to have a stock Ruckus motor I always ran the Polini since it ALWAYS gave better topend than the others.

This is what I posted on totalruckus years ago:

Check out their differences in dimension.

The Polini has a wider diameter drive face, but the belt does not ride up to the outer edges.

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Sanjuro:
That just sounds dirty.
Glad to oblige, Sanj! I rise to the occasion and discuss tight clearances with penetrating insight.

I appreciate the specs on the various variators for Ruckus. What brand do you think mine is? No vertical ridges around the edge like the Polini and KN in your pics, but an even bigger overall plate diameter.

I swapped my stock fixed sheave - the other half of the front pulley where the starter engages - for a Kymco a few weeks ago. I'm hoping my Polini belt will ride out farther to the edge presuming my Nikasil/Mikuni TM/Chamber setup has the huevos to put it there.
Wheelman-111