Dio Gears in a SE50?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

A machine shop will do it for cheap/free as will an automotive shop
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg
da808fokai
BMX
BMX

Post by da808fokai »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:With a big * hydraulic press, thats how.

LOL! I love it.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

so, is the se50 gear change much more involved than the sa50 gear change?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yes.......it is.
~2004 Geely Fashion~
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Gotcha, you guys have a link to a how-to for sa50 gear swap? SORRY TO BOTHER.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Pre 94 swaps require a full stock 94 and up gear set minus what your aftermarket gears replace. A 94 and up swap just requires the aftermarket gears.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
da808fokai
BMX
BMX

Post by da808fokai »

Thanks for everyones help on this topic. I have arriving later this week:

-1 set of 7.44? Malossi gears for my bore'd 86 Aero.
-1 set of 9.1 gears from a dio (with dio axle) for my stock 86 Aero.

I will take pics, and keep everyone posted on the spacers/ect needed to fit the dio gears properly.

-VJ
WillyPhister
Noob
Noob

Post by WillyPhister »

Ya once you guys have got this figured out someone should make a how to thread with a parts list and links to buy them. that would be great.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

since i couldn't get chevyguyjay to answer me. I just went ahead and ordered all the stock gears out of a dio, i wasn't sure if all of them were needed, but i wanted them on hand. I finally installed them into my se50 motor. And i can confirm 100% that you do need all 3 stock gears for this to work, plus the aftermarket gears

if you look at this picture
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8650/untilk9.png

1. you need the long shaft with gear on it, at the very bottom of the picture. this picture shows that its the same, but its not exactly the same, and you need a post '93 once
2. the gear all by itself in the bottom of the box that says 93-up
3. the gear/shaft at the top of the box that says 93-up

i have pictures of all of this as i went along, i'll post them later

oh, and i barely gained any top end with 8.4 gears, since i havn't put my big bore on yet. I lost a lot of bottom end, but its totally still driveable and i gained a tad bit of top end, so im happy for now
DorkoElite303
Spree
Spree

Post by DorkoElite303 »

PimpinSpree wrote:since i couldn't get chevyguyjay to answer me. I just went ahead and ordered all the stock gears out of a dio, i wasn't sure if all of them were needed, but i wanted them on hand. I finally installed them into my se50 motor. And i can confirm 100% that you do need all 3 stock gears for this to work, plus the aftermarket gears

if you look at this picture
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8650/untilk9.png

1. you need the long shaft with gear on it, at the very bottom of the picture. this picture shows that its the same, but its not exactly the same, and you need a post '93 once
2. the gear all by itself in the bottom of the box that says 93-up
3. the gear/shaft at the top of the box that says 93-up

i have pictures of all of this as i went along, i'll post them later

oh, and i barely gained any top end with 8.4 gears, since i havn't put my big bore on yet. I lost a lot of bottom end, but its totally still driveable and i gained a tad bit of top end, so im happy for now
This is what I kinda figured. Just buy all the new dio gears. I wanted to try it out on a SE50. But can't find one any where. If i were you, I would have gone with the 9:1. Even with that 65cc kit...I don't think you will get the most out of the gears. I think 9:1 would have let you use all your power band, from the lows to the top end.

Post pictures as soon at possible. :D
da808fokai
BMX
BMX

Post by da808fokai »

I got all my parts in today to install the dio gears in my NB50. I took lots of pictures, and will post them in the next few days. My problem is that the counter gear is a few mm too long, therefore I need to machine it down. Did you have this same problem?

By too long, I mean the shaft is too long out of the dio, so that the case does not completely seal. I took measurements and it seems like machining it down will solve the problem.

Did you run into this same issue? I'm going to the machine shop tomorrow so let me know what you had to do to make it work, and I will do the same.

Sorry, its Thirsty Thursday, so im a bit tipsy... hope this all make sense?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

are you talking the stock gears or the 9:1 aftermarket gears.
i know with some aftermarket gears the smaller shaft is like a 1MM to long, and once you tighten down your gear cover it binds, stopping your rear wheel from moving.
If this is what your talking about then all you have to do is take out the washer from in front of the smaller shaft then reinstall everything.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
DorkoElite303
Spree
Spree

Post by DorkoElite303 »

Yeah... Dac help me solve the same problem. LOL. It's the metal washer in from of the counter gear.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yes, this pic of the counter gear u have to machine. the dio one is to long, and the splines have to be cut down to.
also, if u notice just how big the gear itself is, it also should be machined. u can install the gears, but they will only fit with no red spacer or metal washer. thats one reason y i didnt leave mine in. plus i didnt have a bore kit.
if u can get the machining perfect, its an awesome upgrade.
~2004 Geely Fashion~
DorkoElite303
Spree
Spree

Post by DorkoElite303 »

If you have the elite af16 engine...you just need to pull that metal washer off. No need to machine.