Flash 3.1 Nikasil Bore Update

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Stronger But Maybe Not As Oil-Tight

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Spring steel threaded into aluminum is likely to be stronger than a bolt riding directly in aluminum threads - agreed. However because it creates a second plane of separation, the Heli-Coiled plug may seep unless bonded to the aluminum. Red LocTite or JB Weld would achieve that in a low-pressure application like a tranny case.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Flash 3.1 Nikasil Bore Update

Post by veedubh20 »

time-sert is better than helicoil.
http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

I did on a customer bmw e39 to do headgasket job, on a aluminum block, then customer never came back
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

yea i know about time sert. i asked a guy if he done time sert's i had a bolt stripped out, and he said heli coil. i think time sert's would be better, but i don't think i could find anyone around here who would have one. i haven't asked, i asked the one guy, but, i haven't checked i don't know. i'll check, but to get them, there expensive. i'll probably get a heli coil and loctite, i was thinking that. time sert would be good, but i don't know if i can find one. i'll check, i'll probably get the heli coil i can get that, and get it loctite stuff on. the parts 50 bucks the cheapest i seen it is 35 and then everything else. i can get the part. just, ill find out.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Heli coils are approved for use on things like commercial jets and M16s, IIRC they don't reccomend any sort of threadlocker or glue. .
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

how about just a little bit on the threads. wouldn't it just lock in and then be glued. really thou? heli coils?
Wheelman-111

Latest Update

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Installed JW's expansion chamber/muffler 2 weeks ago, just before the Deepinnaharta Deep-Freeze. (Details in Deepinnaharta Depression...). I have since learned (from Bakaracer and others) that an upjet is MANDATORY when you free up the exhaust to this degree.

I thought I'd add a comment here that the Nikasil bore endured a couple weeks of running LEAN, without catastrophe. Judging by the plug and how much improvement it showed when I went from a 150 to a 165 main, it should have fried, but didn't. Maybe the cold was some protection, but I feel pretty good about Nikasil's durability. Knocking wood now... :) 730 miles or so, run time about 30.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH