Flash 3.1 Nikasil Bore Update

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Flash 3.1 Nikasil Bore Update

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So many seem to buy the Taiwanese bore kits from Taz, VT, and Limp, but I haven't seen much in the results department. Lots of bad-mouthing but not first-hand experience. Here's mine with DayWot's Nikasil 49mm/78cc:

The bore still shows cross-hatching though it's hard to tell from Masterful Wheelman Photography. I can see the gleaming dome of the CC and squish band - no excessive carbon to this point - which is probably expected with only ~350 miles ridden.

The piston is also as shiny as the day it was installed, although evidence of my generous oilage is seen by the brown drippings from the ring lands:
E3Piston.jpg
E3Piston.jpg (142.16 KiB) Viewed 6323 times
I'm taking pride in the complete absence of leaks from the base and head gaskets. The plug is still that weird Calico color discussed previously. Hot exhaust side and/or lean jetting combined with overly-generous oil - Premix @ 50:1 + Pump settling on the cold side is the suspected cause. My last fill-up went to 75:1 Premix ratio and I've now replaced the stock 130 main jet with a 135. Hopefully this will lighten the dark side and darken the light. Ebony, And Ivory.... :crazy:
(Hey, Smiley-dudes, we need music notes!)

I took a long Deepinnaharta Sunset pleasure ride last night before teardown. Still quick on the launches, zips up to 50 with really surprising speed. A couple of pickup drivers were downright Pre-Plexed when I buzzed by them, then gave me the thumbs-up. I guess people don't expect a scooter this small to keep up with - let alone pass - traffic. :shock:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Flash 3.1 Nikasil Bore Update

Post by maddog »

wheelman will learn the hard way that a 9 to 1 gear ratio is only used for a bone stock deresrticted dio= that bore goes boom :surprise:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Madpuppy is a legend in his own mind, a very small mind at that. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Fear not, MadDog! The 8.4:1 gears have arrived. Awaiting only a spare axle shaft (Thanks again Jon of ZR50!! :wink: ) to have it installed on the spare shaft, thus retaining a real "bolt-on" choice of quick ratio changes. I might even find a third for the Stock ratio, in case I enter a Wheelie contest. :happy:
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

speaking of axle shafts- are they interchangable 'tween any models?
specifically the 16 and 05 ?
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Interchangeability is unlikely betwixt the 05 and 16 blocks. ChevyGuyJay did it in the SA Gears Sticky thread, but he re-machined and re-engineered just about everything else. There may be belt alignment issues, never fully defined or blueprinted.

The SE/05 axle features a spline/snap-ring for the big gear connection. The SA/16 axle is a Heavy press-fit without splines. It's so tight that my dealer had to resort to Freeze/Heat to get my 9:1 big gear on, despite their formidable press.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A follow-up on Mookie's axle shaft interchangability question above:

Not only are the 05 and 16 axles non-interchangable, but early and late-model AF16s are also incompatible.

I found out by perusing the parts diagrams at Mr.Cycles.com that the 1999 tranny cover is a different part number. 1998 and earlier models show two bearings in the cover, the axle shaft one being a #6203. 1999 and later models show only the clutch shaft bearing. The rear bearing for the axle shaft is a plain bearing, cast into the cover. That's right, the axle rides directly in the aluminum, like the countershaft on all models!

Makes me glad I'm using Mobil 1! :nervous:
Wheelman-111
Rob
BMX
BMX

Post by Rob »

that is very true i have both motors and wheelman is right 99 and newer is a one bearing trans and the 98 and older is a two bearing
2001 honda elite s 50cc
1995 honda elite s 72cc
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

i got a question. would a 94 transmission cover and a 2001 transmission cover. ok, i have. a 2001 elite. sa50. and my gear oil screw was stripped. someone who had it before tightened bolts and stuff too tight. i went and got a 94 transmission cover. is it interchangable. i didn't even check part numbers. like on th einternet before i went and got it. i just went and found it. is it interchangable, like bolt on, or snap on, or not. and how, and if not, got one for sale. hehe.
yea the 94 transmission cover has 2 gears in it. what do i do.
thanks
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

ldrancer wrote:i got a question. would a 94 transmission cover and a 2001 transmission cover. ok, i have. a 2001 elite. sa50. and my gear oil screw was stripped. someone who had it before tightened bolts and stuff too tight. i went and got a 94 transmission cover. is it interchangable. i didn't even check part numbers. like on th einternet before i went and got it. i just went and found it. is it interchangable, like bolt on, or snap on, or not. and how, and if not, got one for sale. hehe.
yea the 94 transmission cover has 2 gears in it. what do i do.
thanks
Nope it won't fit.You will need the whole gear set from the 94 for the cover to fit.Why don't you heli coil the striped bolt hole.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

i could. do you think a helicoil will keep the gear oil in. or a time sert which i heard is expensive is good for spark plugs. ive heard helicoils will come out, and i don't need that. not on gear oil. i have a stripped muffler bolt that tightens it, that is stripped, i was going to get a heli coil. will oil leak out of it? thanks for any help.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you insist on using the stock bolt/plug, you can cement your Metric 8mm HeliCoil in with Loctite, JB Weld, or any permanent goo. It shouldn't leak enough to matter. However locating the Metric coils and matched taps might prove to be a challenge.

An easier option might be to locate a slightly-larger machine tap and a matching short bolt. It doesn't even have to be Metric! Create threads of the chosen size right in the same drain plug hole, then maybe Teflon-tape your short bolt to serve as a plug, or just add a copper washer.

Go easy on the Wheaties when you tighten any of this stuff. Cast Al-You-Minnie-Yum is easy to strip as you now know.
Wheelman-111
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

no, i don't know now, and i didn't insist. but that would be a good idea, just i like the bolt that comes with it, it's magnetized. i know of a place, that has metric bolts. i know how easy a bolt can strip, i had a chinese scooter. uh. i bougth the scooter used, and someone who owned it before me, as i said, when i changed the gear oil, the bolt was already stripped, and it was straight black, and almost like water. they strripped that screw, i was barely turning it, i think i didn't strip it, i was barely turning it, and i turn like im bolting together chinese shshtuff. so im pretty careful. and he stripped the muffler bolt too, which i can get heli coiled when i get the bolt. i can probably get that gear oil screw heli coiled. i can get the rest of the gears out of that scooter, i left them there. is it just pull them out if i wanted them. do they just pull out, can i go back and grab them all i didn't need them, i didn't think i would need them, so i left them there, i better go get them before they get wet. cost about the same for either.
if i get it rethreaded, a copper washer, to keep leaks out, like a thin one or a different bolt.
someone who owned it before me, when he worked on it stripped 2 bolts, i've seen, and he hasnt done much so, good. so i don't have a bunch of stripped bolts on it. think just muffler was took off, to change tires, gear oil changed, once, a long time ago so maybe 2 owners ago done it, or the first i don't know. since teh bolts are stripped. maybe the gear oil level was just checked. because the bolts haven't been lost and the muffler bolt was just lost.
i bought the scooter used. it wasn't new. i think i just pulled out what metal was holding the muffler bolt in. threads. i barely turned the bolt. it just kept turning. im trying to fix it. i don't know if magnetizm is keeping it in, or wahts going on.
Wheelman-111

Magnetism

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I forgot about the magnetic bolt thing. You're right to use the stock plug if it's magnetized. It keeps the hard treated steel shavings - and there are always shavings - out of the lube, which is very important for the plain bearings supporting the countershaft.

I have bad dreams remembering what the magnetic plug on my Sportster looks like every time I change the tranny fluid. It looks like a young Michael Jackson 'Fro after he whizzes on a bare 220 wire. :shock:
Wheelman-111
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

i thought heli coil was stronger that the original if done right. i would think it would hold oil.
Ride it like you stole it'