ZX trans how-to

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: ZX trans how-to

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've monkeyed with longer Polini 656 x 16.5 x 30 (Part Number 248.006) belt even though I have yet to install the bigger rear pulleys.
Okay, so then u just use the stock variator and shim the trans cover so the kick start doesn't bind?
I used a stack of stock gaskets glued together. Otherwise the toothed crown on the Drive pulley hub tries to engage the kickstarter. I have yet to encounter issues pertaining to the electric starter, because my Drive pulley boss is only shimmed out 1.2mm for the Polini belt.
And I'm just trying to clarify, but this mod will basically give you more takeoff by giving you a shorter gear(higher in number)?
Yes, the larger-diameter rear belt loop should gear it down just a bit for better take-off.
Does this do anything to the top end?
In my experience, yes. Unless the front pulley is also larger, the longer belt won't spread the rear pulleys apart as far, so your overdrive is reduced. My best GPS with stock belt was 59. My best with the 656mm Polini belt was 52.
Will the longer belt give even more take off but lower top end speed?
Yes, I believe so. Bigger loop out back = stronger launch. But see above.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Thanks wheelman! Great info as always. I think I'm gunna do this mod for xmas, also I got a stock exhaust that I'm gunna drill the baffle out and re-jet. Baby steps!
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

dem0nk1d wrote:The Sym and Kymco "Kim Co" engine are pretty much Honda clones of the Honda DIO ZX.

now your question with parts

KYMCO setup would be the following part numbers.

zx 50 - pulley, drive assembly - 2301a-kcx-9000 "rear pulley with clutch"
zx 50 - drive face boss - 22105-kcx-w000 "drive boss"
zx 50 - face drive - 22102-gah-e100 "front pulley in front of variator"

Belt i'm not sure of..
Can you get the driven pulley assembly and just put the stock clutch on it? I'm thinking you can't, but thought I'd ask

Also, I was thinking of getting a polini 2g evolution 2 shoe clutch. This uses a 107mm clutch bell. Is that the size of the kymco/sym/dio zx? Anybody try this yet?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

evilone wrote:
Mookie wrote:i dont see a part number for the belts....
I just search Ebay for dio zx belt,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Di ... ccessories $20 shipped.

and just search the size of the longer belt if you want to use that. A search for 669 X 18 X 30 brought 7 results. I got mine from this guy, cheapest and shipped real fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scooter- ... leQ5fParts
I'm a bit confused, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The stock belt is 654x18x30

You can use a 669x18x30 for more take-off and less top end

And polini makes a 656x16.5x30 belt. With the belt being thinner, how does that effect the gearing?

at what point will a longer belt just slip and no longer give better take-off and just not work?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

steffen707 wrote:Can you get the driven pulley assembly and just put the stock clutch on it? I'm thinking you can't, but thought I'd ask
Yes, my clutch and bell are both stock.
steffen707 wrote:The stock belt is 654x18x30
Yes, but if you look at pics i posted you'll see the belt rides low in rear pulleys. The longer belt 669x18x30 was a tip from well known forum member. I cannot test top speed since snow is in the forecast but i do have bigger diameter Ruckus variator which might help, i don't know yet.

Not too sure about the replies about all the chinese parts ldrancer posted. I believe only chinese part is the longer belt? Again i'm only going on any little info i could get.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

evilone wrote: Not too sure about the replies about all the chinese parts ldrancer posted.
I put the size of that drive boss.
evilone wrote: I believe only chinese part is the longer belt?
and what else what longer belt, than what.
sorry i'd like to help but i don't know * your talking about.
if you want measurements, you could of asked. now i don't feel like it and it seems you need a lot. stick to kymco. stick to whatever, chinese lies. no chinese. i'll use the stuff thou, looking at it, and ive looked at teh honda elite stuff, have you.
and if one side of a pulley if it's drive or driven, both sides should have the same angle is what i don't get.
and i could get into the problems i had with my chinese scooter, that most people deny.
wonder what tehy do that for, maybe it's cause if i was selling dirt as water, and people where going hyuk hyuk, i'd deny any information about the dryness, or whatever.
well.... :jack:
the belt on both sides is angled the same.
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

:*: :nervous: :oops:
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

when i wrote * i should of used the picture. don't pay much attention to the yellow things with half moons on them on the side of the thing unless they hold a sign up or something else that SAYS something. :werd:
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

:b2t: :imo: :*:
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

:b2t: :mrgreen:
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

steffen707 wrote:
evilone wrote:
Mookie wrote:i dont see a part number for the belts....
I just search Ebay for dio zx belt,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Di ... ccessories $20 shipped.

and just search the size of the longer belt if you want to use that. A search for 669 X 18 X 30 brought 7 results. I got mine from this guy, cheapest and shipped real fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scooter- ... leQ5fParts
I'm a bit confused, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The stock belt is 654x18x30

And polini makes a 656x16.5x30 belt. With the belt being thinner, how does that effect the gearing?

at what point will a longer belt just slip and no longer give better take-off and just not work?
So anyway............ anybody have a response to my question about the belts? Won't the 669 belt slip a little if its not as tight on the pulleys?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

don't think it has been actually tested yet.we are all here on this part of the scooter planet on our own with this mod and it is a work in progress. a few of us are,"in the water" so to speak, but as of yet only able to describe the water and not the effects of drowning....

as with all scooter drives there is and never will be a definitive answer-
this will work;that will work
this will work better with this and that and so on and so on...

now we throw in a pretty substantial modification into the mix.

as i see it there are two things we need here-
a willing forum member to drop the hammer and BUY the parts needed.
check
and a decent window of weather for testing and feedback.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

mookie wrote:don't think it has been actually tested yet.we are all here on this part of the scooter planet on our own with this mod and it is a work in progress. a few of us are,"in the water" so to speak, but as of yet only able to describe the water and not the effects of drowning....

as with all scooter drives there is and never will be a definitive answer-
this will work;that will work
this will work better with this and that and so on and so on...

now we throw in a pretty substantial modification into the mix.

as i see it there are two things we need here-
a willing forum member to drop the hammer and BUY the parts needed.
check
and a decent window of weather for testing and feedback.
Bravo Mookie :rock:. I just wanted to get the ball rolling and try to help out with the ZX swap, but i'm down until spring. Hope it explained the swap, it's alot more informative than anything i could find out last spring. It's a start :|

ldrancer, i read your post this morning and just did again. You might as well speak Chinese :roll:. If you want to offer some help then cool, but i got nothing from your remarks. Go ahead and send me some measurements, i'll make sure i throw them away :shock:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

steffen707 wrote:So anyway............ anybody have a response to my question about the belts? Won't the 669 belt slip a little if its not as tight on the pulleys?
I personally don't think slippage will be a problem. The belt will ride lower in front and higher in back on initial take-off but will still have the same forces in effect as the 654 belt since they are the same widths. The longer 669 belt is just as tight as the 654. If you went with skinnier belt i would expect slippage.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

steffen707 wrote:The stock belt is 654x18x30

The 669 x 18x 30 won't neccesarily make top end less. What if...654 x 18 x 30 belt bottoms out in rear pulleys before reaching max in the front? Longer belt would let belt go further in the front before bottoming out in rear pulleys = more top speed. Am i making sense everyone? That's why it needs tested to find out, sorry i can't test. Just theories right now. And maybe the bigger Ruckus variator would let longer belt ride further in rear pulleys?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.