what is a powerband

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

trains420
Spree
Spree

what is a powerband

Post by trains420 »

what is a powerband, and what does it have to do with my
exhaust,
roller weights,
clutch grab springs, and contra springs,
but mostly
* is a powerband.
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: what is a powerband

Post by drizzle »

i believe it's the range of RPMs where the engine gets the most torque. kind of like the "sweet spot".
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

The powerband is the rpm range where your engine makes the most power.
think of it as such;
You climb into your friend's new corvette, put it in 3rd gear, and try to take off. the engine will move the car, but at 400rpm, a corvette makes less power than a geo metro does at 5500 rpm(in it"s powerband) . in that instance, the geo will pull much harder than the stumbling vette, untill the vette comes into it's powerband a few thousand rpms later and flys past the properly driven econobox.

after a certian rpm, the power slowly drops off, giving you the end of the power band. different pipes on a two-stroke will move the rpm at which peak horsepower is achived. some pipes are very peaky, and operate best in a very narrow rpm band, while others make less peak power but more evenly distribute it in your rpm range.

all the other stuff is for transmission tuning, to put down the power effectivly. i would re-cap all that info, but a wealth of knowledge on the topic has already been written on this site by those with more patience and brains than me.

welcome to the world of scootertuning. it's like crack. but better for your teeth. :mrgreen:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Wheelman-111

STEP RIGHT UP!!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Pay no attention to mis-informed "Advisors" who know nothing. Step instead this way, and have your credit cards ready...

WHEELMAN's POWERBAND!

Installs in seconds. Increases low-end torque and DOUBLES your top speed. Prolongs engine life, decreases emissions, and makes the Faire Damsels swoon with wanton lust.

A special one-time-only deal for Forum Denizens exclusively! Just $49.95!! PAYPAL TODAY!!!
Don't delay, ACT NOW!!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: STEP RIGHT UP!!

Post by fightingplankton »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Pay no attention to mis-informed "Advisors" who know nothing. Step instead this way, and have your credit cards ready...

WHEELMAN's POWERBAND!

Installs in seconds. Increases low-end torque and DOUBLES your top speed. Prolongs engine life, decreases emissions, and makes the Faire Damsels swoon with wanton lust.

A special one-time-only deal for Forum Denizens exclusively! Just $49.95!! PAYPAL TODAY!!!
Don't delay, ACT NOW!!
i'll take 3 if it will make the damsels interested.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

i'm sure it would work for 2 seconds. and then be called.. ah i'm getting off, but the best thing that saves the world.
all in 2 seconds of power for 3 hours of work. 2 seconds life too. does it wind around the propeller.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Re: STEP RIGHT UP!!

Post by mustangwagz »

fightingplankton wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

WHEELMAN's POWERBAND!

Don't delay, ACT NOW!!

Whoa..Doubles top speed?.. (does math in head, ok..35 mph x2...divides by 3.14, Compensates for gravity, licks finger and checks wind direction...) s***...ill need z rated tires first. lemme get back to ya!!

...i cant wait to hear em swoon..its gonna be SHAWEEEET!!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I remember back in the late 80's the honda dirtbikes all had stickers on the rear fork that said "PowerBand" and all the kids would ask if your bike had "powerBand" installed... lol
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

patthesoundguy wrote:I remember back in the late 80's the honda dirtbikes all had stickers on the rear fork that said "PowerBand" and all the kids would ask if your bike had "powerBand" installed... lol
haha ya hey man does that ting have a powerband in it?
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

yea i always wonderred teh same thing, now i got a 2-stroke, and still am like what. i think i kinda get it. and i know it has a part where it goes faster. i've noticed it on mine.
i always wonderred, though what a powerband was on a motorcycle. and i knew them where 2-strokes. at least if you want to pull hills. they are.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Reading through this may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_band

Power varies as an engine varies its RPM's. The graph typically looks like an arch in some form as low RPM = low power and high RPM = low power due to decreasing torque from the motor (note: this may be clearer to understand knowing that POWER = TORQUE x RPMs).

If you're on a Spree you can really feel the power band due to the non-CVT drive train. You have a slow takeoff that slowly picks up until you hit a certain RPM at which point it really starts to go. Then you start to lose acceleration (power) until you settle into the max speed where all the motor's diminishing forces equal out with the drag forces (air resistance, mechanical friction, etc.).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Wheelman-111

Powerband

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Devenex is spot-on. I would add that the Spree is ordained by Honda-san to have the widest powerband - the engine produces useful power over a larger range of RPM - of all the 'Smokers. This is necessary because of the single-speed belt. It has to produce some torque down where the clutch engages, otherwise take-off would be nearly impossible.

At the same time, a wide power band generally requires changes in port timing, etc. that compromise peak output. When a Spree is tuned for screamin'-high top-end, the low-end torque (such as it is...) likely goes away. Raising clutch engagement RPM and total output helps some, but the engine has to be able to get out of its own way first at ~3-5000 RPM.

The Variator-equipped models can afford to have a much narrower powerband, because the vario likes to keep RPM confined within a narrow range - the Powerband can be fully exploited at all times.

Motocross bikes provide a lesson. 125cc air-cooled two-strokes could make over 25 HP away back in the late 60s. (1970 Bultaco Pursang 125cc = 25.4 HP) The trouble was they were hard to ride fast around a track. A 4- or5-speed tranny and liberal clutch abuse were not enough to keep the engine singing "on the pipe" for all but the Motocross Gods of the day. Reed valves came along to spread the power a little, but they were still hard to ride fast.

Development focused on engines that made perhaps a little less top-end, but could forgive a rider being in the wrong gear coming out of a turn.[I rode a chrome-tanked early air-cooled Elsinore 125 back in the day. It was better but had the same issues - wick it up... Nothing, Nothing, Nothing - color=#FF0040]OH MY GOD!![/color]

Tricky little valves in the intake and/or exhaust were added, once again to widen the useful RPM range, but the Death Knell came with the advent of light, high-revving 4-strokes. EPA issues aside, with proper Poppet Valves to manage the mixture more accurately throughout the operating range, and a decent top-end surge courtesy of very high RPM, they now dominate the track. Particularly those Teams who are wise enough to purchase my fine Product - See Above. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

power band= rpm range between peak torque and peak power and before a new thread is started: overrev= rpm range between peak power and redline
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

still don't get it i guess i'll ask more later. it's the part where the motor is more powerful. im not sure, why. but i'll figure it out. and i guess when it does it i can go wee. i figure it's from teh muffler and other stuff, and i haven't paid enough attention.