My 87 se50p Iowa just buried the speedometer!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

gixxer9
BMX
BMX

My 87 se50p Iowa just buried the speedometer!

Post by gixxer9 »

I bought an Elite se50p Iowa model for my wife last year, and did not realize that I had purchased a heavily restricted ride until I found this forum shortly thereafter. The top speed was 26 mph which really sucked for my wife since there are few 25 mph roads in Madison, and none within 10 miles of our house! After reading all the posts here ad nauseam, I found out what I needed to do (variator and ramp, unrestricted exhaust, etc.) I bought an se50 muffler and airbox from another member on this forum. Although the airbox will not fit due to different placement of the mounting ears, the muffler bolted right up.

I also installed the Keli variator, ramp plate, and OEM belt I got from Daywot last year. I installed a new spark plug so I can get a read on the jetting, but it already just smells lean...

I had my wife take it to her office parking ramp and back (her usual commute about 1 mile each way) for the new maiden voyage, and she was all smiles when she got back. I asked "how fast?" and she said she didn't know because it buried the 35 mph speedo, and accelerated more quickly (due, no doubt, to the unrestricted muffler)!

It worked! The Iowa model has been un-Iowa'd! I'm going to send the carb to uspmale next week for a rebuild and rejet and hopefully it'll pull even harder...

Thank you to everybody on this board who has helped me to achieve this!
Last edited by gixxer9 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wheelman-111

Re: My 87 se50p Iowa just buried the speedometer!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice de-restrictin' there, Pard! A healthy 05 might run over 45, in fact. Just make sure that Main jet matches your filter setup, or it won't for long.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Nice de-restrictin' there, Pard! A healthy 05 might run over 45, in fact. Just make sure that Main jet matches your filter setup, or it won't for long.
Thanks Wheelman! I'm actually still using the stock Iowa airbox because the unrestricted se50 airbox didn't fit, but I am going to have uspmale install a #85 jet when he rebuilds th carb next week. My wife is only going to put about 6 miles on it before the carb gets rebuilt, so it should be ok I hope...
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

but alas, it might not....

swapping jets is simple as pie, and if it's already running great, why fix (or, in this case, rebuild) what aint broke?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

drizzle wrote:but alas, it might not....

swapping jets is simple as pie, and if it's already running great, why fix (or, in this case, rebuild) what aint broke?
the iowa comes with a 82 main jet which is to small for the unrestricted setup.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

i was talking about a rebuild. of course the jet needs to be swapped.

i guess you can never rebuild these carbs too many times.
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

drizzle wrote:but alas, it might not....

Thank you, that is very sound logic, of which I'm a subscriber -- I could just install the #85 jet and replace the fuel bowl seal. However, in this case I wish to rebuild the carb just to make sure that everything is in order (float, level, air passage ways, etc.) as well as replace the seals because there appears to be some leakage evidenced by a few wet spots on the carb.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Yes, be sure to put that 85 in. That is exactly what I was running with that pipe. :ndance:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

I know it is lean under WOT, which will be remedied by the #85 main, but it seems to be lean at idle too (it stalls like it's running out of fuel)....

To enrich the mixture at idle, do I just turn in the air screw?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

gixxer9 wrote:I know it is lean under WOT, which will be remedied by the #85 main, but it seems to be lean at idle too (it stalls like it's running out of fuel)....

To enrich the mixture at idle, do I just turn in the air screw?
To enrichen the mixture below WOT you raise the needle (lower the clip on the needle raises the needle).

I can never remember which way the idle mixture screw works, but to adjust it properly turn it until you obtain the highest RPM the adjust the throttle stop for proper idle speed.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The idle mixture screw controls air content of the mixture at idle. Turn out for more air (lean). Turn in for less air rich). Bear's suggestion is correct. Once you find the highest idle speed - usually around 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated, stop there. Another way is to turn it inward until the idle speed begins to drop, then come back out 1/4th turn. From there you can turn it in or out 1/8th turn to optimize throttle uptake.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

Thanks Bear and Wheelman.

I noticed in the service manual that the base setting is 1.5 turns out for the se50p and 1.75 turns out for the se50p. Maybe I'm not getting quite enough air in the mix at idle with the se50 pipe? I will adjust the air screw for highest idle and go from there.
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

**UPDATE**

Total nightmare scenario!

I picked up a #85 jet, but it has a slightly larger diameter than the stock #82 so it will not thread in. As I was pondering my options and misfortune, my stock jet rolled onto the garage floor and into the seam where the driveway meets it. I saw it there and had one chance to fish it out, maybe it was because it was 90 and crazy humid and my eyes were burning with sweat, but I failed the retrieval attempt and then watched as it fell all the way in and disappear under my driveway!!

I hope it's just that I received an incorrect jet and not that the se50p Iowa carb uses different physically sized jets than the se50/p carburetors....
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Geez, that totally sux, and we've all been there.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

gixxer9 wrote:**UPDATE**

Total nightmare scenario!

I picked up a #85 jet, but it has a slightly larger diameter than the stock #82 so it will not thread in. As I was pondering my options and misfortune, my stock jet rolled onto the garage floor and into the seam where the driveway meets it. I saw it there and had one chance to fish it out, maybe it was because it was 90 and crazy humid and my eyes were burning with sweat, but I failed the retrieval attempt and then watched as it fell all the way in and disappear under my driveway!!

I hope it's just that I received an incorrect jet and not that the se50p Iowa carb uses different physically sized jets than the se50/p carburetors....
it shouldn't there the same .the only difference is the slide and needle is different from the se50. post a pic of the jet the dealer sold you.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r