spree variator

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ae86guy
Elite
Elite

spree variator

Post by ae86guy »

ive tried a couple of different things to make a vari fit my spree and it just aint happening and i cant seem to find a bike with a smaller vari than most hondas are fitted with could anyone point me in the way of a bike with a smaller vari and taz dont put the variater on hold im sure most people with a spree here would b prepared to pay good money to get one especially since the 48bbk kits are availble now i know id be keen for what eva price you decide PLEASE PLEASE HOOK US UP WITH THE VARIATOR
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: spree variator

Post by tazland001 »

I cannot find anyone who will design one. I have an idea but it would be kinda pricey.

Taz
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tazland001 wrote:I cannot find anyone who will design one. I have an idea but it would be kinda pricey.

Taz
If the variator works it is worth more than any BBK will ever be. I would think all that would be necessary is take a variator off a later bike and run the parts thru a CNC machine in the measure mode, shrink them with the computer and tell it to make the parts, no engineer necessary.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

definitly worth more than a bbk and more important that a aftermaket exhaust and carb it would do so much for a stock spree let alone a modified one i think it should b top of the list if i had the resources to do it then i would please hook us up
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

Check this one out. 82.5mm OD, pretty small:

http://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-va ... riator.htm

The Motobecane variator might be viable too:

https://www.1977mopeds.com/product/1709 ... -Variator/

I'd look for the 4-ball model over the 3-ball for better tunability, though.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

thanks ill hav a look in japan see if i can find any of these at a cheap price
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

ae86guy
Post subject: Re: spree variator
definitly worth more than a bbk and more important that a aftermaket exhaust and carb it would do so much for a stock spree let alone a modified one i think it should b top of the list if i had the resources to do it then i would please hook us up

I would not say it more important than the BBK but a variater is a must have. You are correct on that one. Bottom line is we need a variator for the spree. It is sooo imporant for the acceleration side of things. I will talk to a company I use to deal with in Japan and see if they can help me. I will re-direct my attention to the spree variator instead of the mufflers and the intake manifold adapter.

Taz :hi:
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

thats awesome to hear
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree that is great news, I have an 84 stock spree and a variator would be sooo nice. Thank you Taz for being on the ball making stuff that does not exist for the spree. When you do get in the mode for spree exhaust, will it be tuned for big bore kits or stock or one for stock and one for bigbore kits? Just curious :geekdance:
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

I think taz should focus on exhaust and intake for better and or bigger carbs if you want a variator spend 300 bucks on a dio 2 dollars on a bolt and just make your wallet happy sadly this will probably be the fastest cheapest way to variator a spree...
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

ae86guy wrote: ...im sure most people with a spree here would b prepared to pay good money to get one....

I agree with fastplastic,

If people are willing to pay "good money" to make there spree go fast, They would have spent that $$ on a dio already. :imo:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Trafficjamz wrote:
ae86guy wrote: ...im sure most people with a spree here would b prepared to pay good money to get one....

I agree with fastplastic,

If people are willing to pay "good money" to make there spree go fast, They would have spent that $$ on a dio already. :imo:
Not everybody wants or can do a swap. Some others like the sleeper style, looks totally stock "But". I like the sleeper look myself. My favorite car was a 1969 Ford Torino/Fairlane Cobra with a 428 SCJ under the hood with 3X2 carburation (added), 4 speed, 4.30 rearend, staggered rear shocks and weighed a whole 3200 pounds but all the badges were removed and the only hint left was the blacked out grill which no body ever seemed to notice. Most thought the car had a 351 in it, right up until I mashed the go pedal. So a variator for the Spree would be a must for my Spree.

I still think if Taz is gonna have one made, he should take the existing one and just downsize it. Wouldn't even require any engineering, just testing to find what springs would work best.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree with Bear, I have no desire to swap in another motor in my spree. I like my stock spree the way it is for the most part, the variator would solve what I dont like. Thats just me. I also think that a pipe is so much easier to come up with on my own than a variator would be.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

The varaiter is allmost impossible for the spree. There is no d*** room. That is why no one wants to try to design one for me. Here is what I am going to do for my elite e. I have a brand new honda pal crankshaft that is made for the variated pal. I am going to find the wider kick starter and install this in my elite e engine and I will be variated. Mohahahahhahahahahahahahaha. To bad the bolt patterns on the wider kickstarter do not fit the spree. But I think I can overcome that easily with a new shorter and wider mold.. What do you guys think on that approach??????????? This could be a solution and well worth it. Then we could use the dj1 and the dio(af18) variator packs. In my opinion it would be a nice fix but like I said prior it would be a bit on the pricey side.

Taz
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I 100% agree with bear. People like sleeper bikes. When I had my shop few people wanted the mufflers and carbs. They wanted the scoots to look like stock but wanted the added performance. So my kits allways started using the 50mm BBK and then a gear ratio. Of course I did up-jet and use the free flow filters or used 1inch breather tabs for the stock air box. So not all of us want to use a dio engine. I think the spree engine has just as much potential in the long run but still the dio engine will kick our *. The longer stroke in the dio/elite sr(94-2001) compared to the spree is what will kick our * in the long run.

Taz