spree variator

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: spree variator

Post by bradthreee »

I think he's talking abou KPH... :naughty:
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

im starting to think its just a story or it failed horribley for him cause if any one of us came up with one that worked we would be telling everyone! so till i see pics i call :bs:
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

ive been busy with my sick son so working on the scooter is last on my list i have 3 different things to try when i get to it and the more you talk shi t about me the less likely im going to share how i did it so b patient
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

ae86guy wrote:ive been busy with my sick son so working on the scooter is last on my list i have 3 different things to try when i get to it and the more you talk shi t about me the less likely im going to share how i did it so b patient
Being patient, waiting for pics.
:popcorn: :D

P.S. I hope your son feels better soon.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Trafficjamz wrote:
ae86guy wrote:
P.S. I hope your son feels better soon.
x2
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

me to he has swine flu and is now in the hospital which is where ive been all night home for a feed and a change of clothes then back in no work on the scooter till he is better i will sell it if it would make my boy better
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

ae86guy wrote:...the 3 roller vari i picked up yesterday...
It doesn't happen to be a PA50I variator, does it? If so, Graham Motzig has a good write-up on how to "notch" that unit for greater variation.

As for the rear pulley, I haven't dismantled one yet, but I know it can be expanded. Maybe it just needs a weaker contra spring?
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

unsure of what it was off i got it on loan frm a bike wrecker here had a couple of pics of it but i lost my dam cell phone going to and from the hospitalunsure if it will wor or not havent even looked at the bike at this stagemy boys tests came back positive for H1N1 virus (swine flu) so not concerned about my scoot right now
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I showed mine...lets see yours.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Geez, haven't we already been through this? As I recall, looking at this later, there was a minor issue with this design, but it was in the drawing, and something that could be overcome.
------------------
OK. Here's a Spree variator that someone should be able to make from off-the-shelf stuff, with a lathe, welder, grinder, and some balancing tools. No special molds / dies required. Please excuse the poor drawings.

It's not dimensioned: x is the diameter for clearance to crank (probably +.001" to crank size) and y is arbitrary, though some of the y need to be bigger for clearance to rotate. You can figure it out.

First image is the stock pulley. You'll need a lathe. Machine out the inside, enlarge center hole, remove outer boss. Drill and tap for screws to attach rear cover.

Second shows the blow-up. Ramp plate is not well detailed. Note flat variator back, of thin sheet steel. Simple to fabricate. Center bushing can be off the shelf or made on lathe. Weights could be ball bearings or rollers.

Last, detail of ramp plate. Since the variator outer is simple, the ramp plate is more complicated. It needs to have channels to hold the weights in place. Not sure if this will work without channel guides on the variator outer, but since the throw is short (1/8") if the balls are larger than that (say 1/4") then they shouldn't be able to fall out. I think you make the guide from steel U-channel, then weld it together in the cross-shape, bent back. You will want to balance (probably dynamically) this part when you're done, as it needs to rotate fast. The cross-design is arbitrary; it could be a three-channel design as well. I think it would need to be tapered as you go out (thicker in the center,) but it's beyond me how much or what it would look like complete.

ERROR IN DRAWING: That center hole should be x, not y. Otherwise it won't work. And for that matter, all the variator back needs to do is keep the ramp plate inside the variator outer. Center hole could be larger, as needed.

One thing I forgot to design are the guide sliders for the ramp plate (the ramp plate would not rotate with crank as shown.) You could weld fins to the variator outer and let the ramp plate slide on that. You would then need to balance the variator outer as well. Probably should do this with the whole thing assembled and without the balls.

This can all be made from off-the-shelf parts and materials, but will require some skills with machine tools. But there's no expensive one-off tooling to buy.

If anyone builds this, I'd like to see it. Have fun!
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

what about the rear pully though.....
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Ack; the rear pulley's fine as-is.

The rear pulley doesn't change basic design, but you might change the spring rate.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

what gains to you think could be had by this design?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

fastplastic wrote:what gains to you think could be had by this design?
Greatly improved launch.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

do u belive it will push it to 52 like ae86 guy clams?