swapping gears to 9.8:1

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ktroy
BMX
BMX

swapping gears to 9.8:1

Post by ktroy »

I'v been doing some searching on this forum about swapping gear on a 94+ SR elite. I decided on the 9.8:1 from VTcycles because I have lots of mountains around here.

When I remove the rear wheel and the tranny cover, does the whole shaft slide out so I can take it to the machine shop to get the new gear pressed on? Or does the entire shaft and gear need to be pressed out FROM the case? I need to know this because if I have to take the whole bike somewhere, then I may skip the whole thing.. even though I really want to to upgear it.

It's so silly I can hit top "comfortable" revs on flats instantly and even uphills. I went up a mountain hoping to actually take advantage of the low gears.. sure enough.. 35mph screaming.. *?! Downhills is a joke and may as well just shut off the bike.
I'm literally cruising on flats with as small throttle as my wrist allows because it just revs so darn much. Bike is stock!

Thanks
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Re: swapping gears to 9.8:1

Post by tw39515 »

need to take off rear wheel and the whole shaft will slide out. then then take the shaft to a shop and get the gear pressed off and the new one on.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Yeah, what he said :smile:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
axo
Spree
Spree

Post by axo »

Be careful with a plastic washer in there behind one of the gears, and remember to get a new gasket too for the cover.
Take care if you will use a flat screwdriver to help pop the cover off the case, try to not stick it too deep ... just a bit on the edges or you will get a leak later.
You will need to fill it up later with 90cc of oil. I used 10w40 honda motorcycle oil.
1989 Honda Dio SP
AF18E - 82cc Taiwan kit - 24mm Oko - KRS pulley kit - Kevlar belt - 8.44:1 gears - 1000RPM Center spring - 7 grams roller weights - R1 sectional exhaust - 130lb pilot :)
ktroy
BMX
BMX

Post by ktroy »

I am confused on what washer everyone is talking about to replace. Is it number 10 or 9 in the parts digram? Is it this plastic one here in red?

Also, what is a good way of removing the old gasket meterial. Mine is a 94 model and it is welded on there. Any ideas?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ahh, gasket clean-up: The bane of rookie Mechanics around the world. There is a commercial spray product that's designed to facilitate the process, but carb cleaner sometimes works just as well to soften up the bond. Then, taking great care with a razor knife or specific gasket-removal scraper, work your way patiently around all the surfaces to remove every last trace of the delaminated petrified paper that's glued to the mating surfaces. If it gets thin, be careful not to gouge the soft aluminum with the corner of the razor/scraper. You can finish with fine sandpaper, using a BLOCK to make sure you don't round off the edges of the mating surfaces.

To facilitate things about a thousand percent for next time, liberally coat both sides of the new gasket with a slathering of high-temp grease. I've had my back cover off 3 times and done several base gaskets with no damage to the gasket itself. I've even re-used them without incident since starting this practice, with NO leaks! YMMV, and the correct thing is to use a new gasket anyway.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ktroy
BMX
BMX

Post by ktroy »

Finished.
Wheelman, wished I read your comment before I got started. I had nothing to remove it but a sharp pocket knife. Took me an hour or so with many finger cuts. Some places I did cut gouges into with the tip of the blade. Finally got it all done and filed it down nice with a flat file to make sure the gouges were minimal.
I did think to dampen up the gasket.. I just used the oil I was filing it with .. 20-50w motor oil. Grease would of been a great idea!
It was a very large job for me and my handful of tools.. most all of it was pretty difficult doing it in the dirt hunched over trying to keep everything as clean as possible.

WORST PART was the rear wheel nut.. WOW that thing was on there. Had to use a 7/8 6 point impact socket with a monster breaker bar. SUCKED had to remove the pipe as well! Did not have a new exhaust gasket either.
ktroy
BMX
BMX

Post by ktroy »

So the verdict is in:

with the new keli variator and these gears...

Never knew it was possible to have 1mph per CC.
With these VTcycle 9.8 gears the top-end is so daunting it had me yelling and bellowing in excitement inside the helmet. Needle was pegged almost vertical straight down into the dash. WOWWWWW!!!!!

It just hauls....flat out hauls. UNBELIEVABLE.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Flash 3 was good for GPS 49 MPH on completely stock power with 9.1:1s - and a tailwind. 9.8s are probably better. However if you ever install a big-bore, they'll be too low as the engine will have more power than gearing, resulting in the risk of over-rev. Honda's stock bore can handle the RPM, but only the Italian aftermarket kits can do the same.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH