Now the Elite is TOO jumpy and herky querky II

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Now the Elite is TOO jumpy and herky querky II

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry if my message was lame and confusing. The brand of variator used does not affect the clutch if the tuning is correct. However the suggestion from someone was to Increase the roller weight as a solution to launch abruptness. I believe this isn't going to solve Ms. Bean's problem, because that's not the immediate cause of the Herky Querky. Heavier rollers can contribute to a slower launch, however, and I stand by my assertion that it can overheat the clutch and cause other issues. Here's how I came to this conclusion:

A while back on an early Flash build, I had no clue about Vario tuning. Some might say I still don't. :oops: But the observation was made on the centerstand. What was happening was that a heavy-ish stock load of rollers was combined with stiffer clutch springs. Applying throttle, I noticed that the variator began shifting pretty soon as the RPMs increased above idle. In fact, the belt was a third of the way down the rear pulley before you could see and feel the clutch beginning to engage.

This produced the CVT equivalent of starting in 2nd or 3rd gear in a Manual-transmission car. Smooth and slow, to be sure, but hard on the friction surfaces of the clutch. That's why I asserted that heavier rollers alone would not be a good solution to Ms. Bean's launch issues, and would create a new set of issues with potential clutch overheat, wear, as well as poor midrange performance. Make sense now?

If the CVT has a purpose, it is to match and maintain engine RPM at an optimal level through a variety of Groundspeeds, including 0 MPH. To take off with any conviction, the CVT has to stay in "low gear" (the belt in the lowermost position on the front pulley, uppermost on the back sheaves...) until the scooter is underway. Only then should the variator start to... uhh... Variate, and keep the engine spinning happily in its powerband. If it shifts before momentum is achieved, the controlling factor becomes, once again, the clutch - which isn't designed for that purpose. Thus concludes Wheel-Dissertation on Variator/Clutch Interaction.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

why don't everyone just about minus around 3 or somethig people, such as king kong guy, ktroy and someone else, i think. kiss my *.

get some gears. i said it all along. this is all a copy. read 3 pages of crap. you guys can't let someone answer a question. and you can't tell noone how you've done stuff. thanks for not gibving credit guys.
the answer to your takeoff is another post, posted within the last week or soemthing. see how these guys are liars. check a search for zuma and elite. or it's yamaha and an elite. that's wht it was. yamaha makes, a zuma and i just think it was zuma but i don't remember if he wrote zuma. it's in the same post. so recently a post. you'll see.

variators
springs
weights.

all a good idea, to make it go faster with. bwahahaha.
all them, are crap with more problems than answers or not related. they all are information about a gear change. you guys are NO help and you allow that to continue from that one guy.
oh.
f you *.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

trains420 wrote:why don't everyone just about minus around 3 or somethig people, such as king kong guy, ktroy and someone else, i think. kiss my *.

get some gears. i said it all along. this is all a copy. read 3 pages of crap. you guys can't let someone answer a question. and you can't tell noone how you've done stuff. thanks for not gibving credit guys.
the answer to your takeoff is another post, posted within the last week or soemthing. see how these guys are liars. check a search for zuma and elite. or it's yamaha and an elite. that's wht it was. yamaha makes, a zuma and i just think it was zuma but i don't remember if he wrote zuma. it's in the same post. so recently a post. you'll see.

variators
springs
weights.

all a good idea, to make it go faster with. bwahahaha.
all them, are crap with more problems than answers or not related. they all are information about a gear change. you guys are NO help and you allow that to continue from that one guy.
oh.
f you *.

Totally unnecessary!! Everyone is trying to help in one way or another. Speak like an adult and be recognized.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

to prove it, there's nothing you can do with that power. it's just gonna throw you off the back. oh there is something you can do with that power. there's a restricted version versoin of this scooter, called an s version or sa50p. elite s or sa50p. switch to it, and you'll have less power. you put a restricter on your variator, i'm sure cheap from anyone. switch your sr exhaust with a s exhaust. make sure they haven't drilled out the washer. if its stopped up, just unstop it. i'm sure someone would want to trade. and switch your main jet to a 68 from 78. there you go. oh your oil pump will oil more, but maybe you can just loosen the cable, just a little bit. that's about it. probably wouldn't hurt it with the oil, but whatever. just loosen that cable, just a little bit. i mean tiny amount. the oil cable.
there. 2 answers. restrict your scooter, turn it into the s version and have less power. or upgear, and put something to make it have to push. it's like me knocking down a wooden pine door. ok, same thing, oak. see. these people are liars. the 2 right answers are turn it into an s or upgear. didn't think about s version, but i thought upgear. best thing. more top speed. cool scooter. hah.
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

martynkim wrote:
Totally unnecessary!! Everyone is trying to help in one way or another. Speak like an adult and be recognized.
yea totally unneccasary. whatever. oh EDIT.
Last edited by trains420 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

trains420 wrote:to prove it, there's nothing you can do with that power. it's just gonna throw you off the back. oh there is something you can do with that power. there's a restricted version versoin of this scooter, called an s version or sa50p. elite s or sa50p. switch to it, and you'll have less power. you put a restricter on your variator, i'm sure cheap from anyone. switch your sr exhaust with a s exhaust. make sure they haven't drilled out the washer. if its stopped up, just unstop it. i'm sure someone would want to trade. and switch your main jet to a 68 from 78. there you go. oh your oil pump will oil more, but maybe you can just loosen the cable, just a little bit. that's about it. probably wouldn't hurt it with the oil, but whatever. just loosen that cable, just a little bit. i mean tiny amount. the oil cable.
there. 2 answers. restrict your scooter, turn it into the s version and have less power. or upgear, and put something to make it have to push. it's like me knocking down a wooden pine door. ok, same thing, oak. see. these people are liars. the 2 right answers are turn it into an s or upgear. didn't think about s version, but i thought upgear. best thing. more top speed. cool scooter. hah.
She started with an Elite S.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

wouldn't matter if it was a toy car, remote controlled, battery operated.
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Post by GJbean »

Let it be known that Ms. Bean does not respond to rude crazy idiots. :drama:

seriously, dude you have some real anger issues.

OK, Sunday, after church, I will do the easiest thing which is to gently take apart the throttle, clean, adjust it a bit and go from there. It is free and after we knock that out we can do the other stuff.

Thanks Marty and Wheelman.

. .. . until then, Ms. Bean leans over the handle bars, has Queen pumping in her MP3, and holds on for dear life. :peace:
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I read through this post and am with wheelman. If it's TOO jumpy and you're afraid of being thrown off the back then something is wrong. I'm betting it's a clutch issue. My wife has a 2000 Elite SR, she weighs 120 pounds and has no problem taking off without the scooter wanting to throw her off the back. Sure you can do wheelies, but these Elites were not designed to hurt people by suddenly taking off and leaving rider on the road. :roll:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

trains420 wrote:mine must of been missing the adjuster. have you ever done it?
trains420 wrote:thanks for not gibving credit guys.
trains420 is correct, there is no adjuster. Martynkim can adjust his since his 87 does have an adjuster under the throttle grip.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

My Spree has an adjuster as do all my Aeros. I don't remember ever seeing a throttle cable on a bike or quad without the ability to adjust the d*** thing.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

My bad Bear, I just realized that most of my newer bikes are running custom cables. With more and more bikes being made in Taiwan and China, I agree about the tolerances.
Last edited by eliteguy50 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

How do producrion tolerances allow there no to be an adjustment? I'm mean, cheap and stupid may not want to adjust the throttle linkage, but no smart and safe d*** well does.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

We could all switch to the throttle cables off the Spree, aeros, or a quad just to make you happy :crazy:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

eliteguy50 wrote:My bad Bear, I just realized that most of my newer bikes are running custom cables. With more and more bikes being made in Taiwan and China, I agree about the tolerances.
They are still not adjustable.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.