Help with 28mm OKO Throttle Cable Please

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

stopsign31
BMX
BMX

Help with 28mm OKO Throttle Cable Please

Post by stopsign31 »

Installed a brand new 28mm OKO carb today, CT manifold and Korso air filter. Installed new throttle cable and routed it correctly. Hooked the end of the cable in to the carb throttle body but can't seem to make it stay attached. Scooter will start and idle fine, can pull some throttle to rev on the stand, but soon thereafter the cable slips out of the white cable holder and can be pulled right out of the carb itself. I tried adjusting the 3 tension points to hold the cable more firmly, but still had the cable end come undone. What's the secret to having this hold in place for the long haul? My thinking was that a "C" clip similar to the one on the needle adjustment would do the trick. Please help !!!
1994 Elite SR (Black & Purple)
Tazland 51mm BBK (2nd kit -- fried the 1rst)
YMS- V8 pipe
9 : 1 gears Pirelli SL26 3.0 Tires
OKO 28mm carb // chrome CT manifold // Koso filter
Ruckus variator
Blue tension spring // 2K clutch springs
axo
Spree
Spree

Re: Help with 28mm OKO Throttle Cable Please

Post by axo »

My cable has a small round head that gets stuck between the metal flat slide and the white plastic where the spring rests. Can you get a picture of whatever you have and post it?
1989 Honda Dio SP
AF18E - 82cc Taiwan kit - 24mm Oko - KRS pulley kit - Kevlar belt - 8.44:1 gears - 1000RPM Center spring - 7 grams roller weights - R1 sectional exhaust - 130lb pilot :)
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

stopsign31 wrote:Installed a brand new 28mm OKO carb today, CT manifold and Korso air filter. Installed new throttle cable and routed it correctly. Hooked the end of the cable in to the carb throttle body but can't seem to make it stay attached. Scooter will start and idle fine, can pull some throttle to rev on the stand, but soon thereafter the cable slips out of the white cable holder and can be pulled right out of the carb itself. I tried adjusting the 3 tension points to hold the cable more firmly, but still had the cable end come undone. What's the secret to having this hold in place for the long haul? My thinking was that a "C" clip similar to the one on the needle adjustment would do the trick. Please help !!!
I had the exact issue when I was trying to hook up my OKO 24 for the first time. The white plastic piece is NOT what holds the cable. You need to feed the cable completely through the white plastic piece about and inch or so. To do this you will have to hold the plastic piece and compress the spring a little so the cable end hangs clear by a little bit. Now there is a small recess on the slide- start cable end into the slide lay the end of the cable in this recess and slowly let out the spring tension. The end of the cable should now be captured by the slide and will be held against the the little shoulders on the recess by the spring tension. Now put the slide back in the carb, you may have to turn the plastic piece so the round part is in the correct position to slide down into the carb and pull the cable holder down and tighten the two screws. Done. Now the slide is pulled up directly by the cable.

Let me know if you have and questions about the above and I'll try and get a picture of what I am talking about. When you are finally able to get the cable hooked to the slide it will seem like a no-brainer- but I did the same thing you did and thought that the cable end was held by the white plastic piece. I works fine for the first couple of times you twist the throttle but then the end comes loose again and you wonder what idiot designed this thing.....
But when you get the cable hooked up correctly there is that OOOOH, I see moment.

Later,

Nathan
Last edited by nacree on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

Steps to hook up flatslide cable steps 1-3
Attachments
Cable end through plastic piece
Cable end through plastic piece
Cable Through Plastic.JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 7545 times
Recess in Slide
Recess in Slide
Recess in slde.JPG (43.8 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Cable end goes through slide
Cable end goes through slide
End through Slide.JPG (45.82 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

Steps to hook up flatslide cable steps 4-6
Attachments
Start the plastic piece back in- make sure the cable end is still held by shoulders in slide recess
Start the plastic piece back in- make sure the cable end is still held by shoulders in slide recess
Start Plastic Piece In.JPG (48.27 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
Plastic peice almost seated (goes over cable end)
Plastic peice almost seated (goes over cable end)
Plastic Piece almost Seated.JPG (39.41 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Finished cable attachment- put slide back in carb
Finished cable attachment- put slide back in carb
Finished.JPG (52.27 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Very helpful Nathan! This goes in Tech Docs soon as I can get to a computer. Thanks!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
stopsign31
BMX
BMX

Post by stopsign31 »

Perfect explanation!! Thanks a million. And yes, I did think the exact same thing -- what type of engineering is this that allows the throttle cable to come undone every third time you pull it? This has been a huge help. Much appreciated.
1994 Elite SR (Black & Purple)
Tazland 51mm BBK (2nd kit -- fried the 1rst)
YMS- V8 pipe
9 : 1 gears Pirelli SL26 3.0 Tires
OKO 28mm carb // chrome CT manifold // Koso filter
Ruckus variator
Blue tension spring // 2K clutch springs
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Great explanation. :2thumbs:

Pictures are.....well......wheelman quality at best. :oops:

I will try to take some better pictures on monday to go along with your excellent tutorial. :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

TJ, are you saying Wheelman is a better engine builder than photographer? :lol:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

Trafficjamz wrote:Great explanation. :2thumbs:

Pictures are.....well......wheelman quality at best. :oops:

I will try to take some better pictures on monday to go along with your excellent tutorial. :wink:
Sorry about the pictures while Wheelman sets the standard for fuzzy close-ups :smile: those actually came from my camera. My digital camcorder does not have the ability to adjust focus for objects that close. By all means if someone can get some decent pictures that would be great.

At least mine aren't in technicolor :lol:

Later,

Nathan
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Shoot through a pair of +2 reading glasses. Before my BB camera went south, it made some of my close-ups a little better. Thanks to EliteDio for the original idea.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I got a couple pics to day.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I actually lost the white plastic part and the spring holds the end in place without it.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Here's a pic from another site showing the white cable retainer being slid into position:
Attachments
Oko_slide_keeper.JPG
Oko_slide_keeper.JPG (13.92 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I wasn't really complaining but z50r-blank said to me that he had an extra white cable clip and I should have it. Thanks much z50r-blank
elitedio wrote:I actually lost the white plastic part and the spring holds the end in place without it.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA