Exhaust Problems?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

catsailor
Spree
Spree

Exhaust Problems?

Post by catsailor »

I have been having major power loss issues on my 84 spree. Compression is good (118), carb has been cleaned a bazillion times, and exhaust has been blown out with high pressure air in both directions. Last winter I did a lye dip of the exhaust and the mud that came out was amazing.

Each time I do my carb to exhaust cleaning, the bike runs fine for a mile or 2, and then looses power. If im lucky and the wind is behind me I will see 20 mph, taking forever to get there. Today I did the same thing, and had no power right from the start. I had an exhaust from a parts spree that I have that looks like it came from an old dirt bike, and was fitted to a spree mount. For the heck of it, I installed it. The bike fired up and had an amazing amount of power! I took it for a test run and was up to 38 mph in a flash. The problems are, it is loud as * (way too loud!) and I cant fit my plastics back on over it. Here is a pic of the exhaust. Any ideas on what to do with my old exhaust to make it work like this one?

1984 Spree With Taz BBK and Gears
1988 Seawind 24 Catamaran
Wheelman-111

Re: Exhaust Problems?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

After a very clear and concise summary of symptoms, CatSailor axt:
Any ideas on what to do with my old exhaust to make it work like this one?
Besides giving up and replacing it, could you consider the Bake-and-Shake decarbonization? If that doesn't work and you can re-weld it, maybe cut it open? I'd suspect you'd see some baffles have collapsed with corrosion and become hopelessly obstructed. (If there's any glass packing in those stock-ish pipes, that could be the issue, too.)

Since the issue quite clearly seems to be exhaust-related, perhaps the Loud-as-* pipe could be toned down with further surgery and a stinger silencer?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Strange Update.
After the loud pipe cooled down, I re-installed my old exhaust. She now seems to be running fine. Does not get up to 38 mph as fast as the other exhaust, but gets there pretty quick. I filled the tank and took a 38 mile ride with no problems at all (except for some a**hole passing me on the right!). Im a bit concerned that my problem may just pop up again out of nowhere. I could try the bake and shake method, but will have to wait till next weekend to build a fire pit and light the fire.

If anyone has a spare working exhaust that they would like to trade for my stock exhaust as well as the test pipe that came off of my parts bike, pm me. Thanks.
Todd
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

a stock Spree running 38 mph.....................................NOT!
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

bear,
it is NOT a stock spree. It has a 44mm taz big bore and his stage 2 gear set. I say that on every other post i write about my spree. In fact, it was said in my last post where you gave your common response of check compression. I appreaciate your knowledge and have taken your well thought out advice in the past. You are a wealth of information. My question is, why do you have to be such a *??? Im here asking advice, not to pick fights behind a keyboard and computer screen. You are obviously a person whos parents did not pay attention to while growing up, and you are screaming for it now, or the dweeb who was roughed up for his lunch money on a daily basis. Go and bully some one else. I have held my tongue for a long time reading your nonsense on this forum because i have personally not been affected by it. Take a few paxils, and have a long nap! :*:
Regards old man,
Todd
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

catsailor wrote:bear,
it is NOT a stock spree. It has a 44mm taz big bore and his stage 2 gear set. I say that on every other post i write about my spree. In fact, it was said in my last post where you gave your common response of check compression. I appreaciate your knowledge and have taken your well thought out advice in the past. You are a wealth of information. My question is, why do you have to be such a *??? Im here asking advice, not to pick fights behind a keyboard and computer screen. You are obviously a person whos parents did not pay attention to while growing up, and you are screaming for it now, or the dweeb who was roughed up for his lunch money on a daily basis. Go and bully some one else. I have held my tongue for a long time reading your nonsense on this forum because i have personally not been affected by it. Take a few paxils, and have a long nap! :*:
Regards old man,
Todd
Fine fix it without my help.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Thank you bear. You have proven my point exactly with your response that I would have expected from my 11 year old daughter 4 years ago. I think the agent orange has finally reared its ugly head in your mind. Give it up, and please, please, please, bear, ignore any posts fromCatsailor in the future. Im here to get and hopefuly give useful information. Your feable mind has obviously gotten past the point where it can recognize what is useful and what is not. Perhaps you should be on the Scooter Store power chair forum, vs the Honda Spree/Elite 50 forum.
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

haha he's a grumpy old c u n t there are others here that also dont have a open mind to experimenting and then getting a solution that they couldnt do
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

catsailor wrote:Thank you bear. You have proven my point exactly with your response that I would have expected from my 11 year old daughter 4 years ago. I think the agent orange has finally reared its ugly head in your mind. Give it up, and please, please, please, bear, ignore any posts fromCatsailor in the future. Im here to get and hopefuly give useful information. Your feable mind has obviously gotten past the point where it can recognize what is useful and what is not. Perhaps you should be on the Scooter Store power chair forum, vs the Honda Spree/Elite 50 forum.
Keep talking *, you will only prove you not only can't fix it but never will without help. I feel sorry for your daughter, handicapped by heritage.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Don't forget to air up that tire before your next run :wink:
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Johnny5
Spree
Spree

Post by Johnny5 »

eliteguy50 wrote:Don't forget to air up that tire before your next run :wink:
What'ya talking about? 4psi hooks the best on the dig.

Love the pipe. Make it work. :D . . . . . . wish I had something constructive to say.
06' Genuine Rattler 50 -Minarelli clone- 70cc pre-mix 32:1, Prima pipe, vari, clutch/center springs
84' Aero 50 "Blue Demon" Vari, airbox/muffler mod, jetted
83' Aero 50 "Red Demon" Stock
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

The rear tire in the photo of the exhaust is an old photo of the exhaust attached to the parts bike engine that I have. I am running the bike with the proper psi in the 3.0 X 10 tires that I have installed.

An update. After running the bike with the non stock exhaust and having it run fine, I did do the bake and shake procedure on the old exhaust, put it back on, and have cruising at 36-39 mph (GPS verified) for the past 400 miles. Before Bears panties get in a bunch, I do have the Taz BBK 44mm, and his stage 2 gear set, so again, this is not a stock spree.

As for my daughter Bear, she is brilliant. Will graduate at the top of her middle school class. She is lucky if she gets her intelligence genetically. I finished a masters program in 5 years instead of six, from the best college in the world for my field with a 3.92 GPA, and my wife, her mother, graduated from her University Valedictorian. So I can only hope that her intelligence is cursed by my genetics. I was able to fix this problem without ANY OF YOUR HELP. As I said, you are a wealth of info, as are most of the others on this board, and I read each of the posts trying to gain as much inforamtion as I can. My problem with you is how you take something that is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby to all of us, and turn it sour with your * poor attitude. Really Bear, what constructive use did anyone reading this post get out of your comment "38 mph on a stock spree, NOT"? If anythig, it proved who the real "*" is. I will continue riding, reading this forum, and even taking the constructive advice that you give, because when it is constructive, it is good. Its the days that you wake up with a hair across your as* that you ought to think twice about posting.

Enough time wasted on Bear. To everyone else who has given constructive advice, thank you. I hope that I may be able to do the same for you.
Regards,
Todd
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quit poking The Bear. :twisted:
Quoth CatSailor:
As for my daughter Bear, she is brilliant. Will graduate at the top of her middle school class.
Middle-school was the best six years of my life...
Nice job decarbonizing the Spree exhaust! How's the Zero-to-Ten with the tall Taz gears?
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

It is a bit slow (no slower than stock) at the start, but picks up really fast. I usually give a little Fred Flintstone push to help along. By 6 or 7 mph she climbs quickly to 25-30 mph. Then takes 4 or 5 sec to get from 25mph to 38 mph. This past weekend, it was very cool out in Rhode Island, and I had the Speedo burried past 40 on flat ground, multiple times. Did not GPS verify, but I have never seen that on the speedo before. I am very pleased with the results of my bonfire cleaning.

I dont take kindly to un-justified pokes from the ignorant, and will usually come back swinging hard when it is aimed at me.

If anyone is interested in the exhaust, pm me for trades. I also have the stock gears that I removed to trade also.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Again, nice job. Very cold weather often produces the best performance, particularly in a two-stroke. I had a '73 Skiroule that normally ran not much faster than 60 MPH. One incredibly dark and star-lit night, extreme high pressure and temperatures hovering near Minus 40, that sled hit 74 across an icy lake with my girlfriend riding behind me.

That said, the improved performance comes in part from the low Density Altitude, which means more O2 in the air, which means your mixture is effectively Leaner. Despite the colder air coming off the fan, the engine runs Hotter in the combustion chamber. Some say there's a need to jet up a size when it gets that cold. I run mine pretty far on the rich side so's I don't have to sully my lily-white hands so often, but be advised if you're close to ideal in "normal" ambient temperatures.
Wheelman-111