what weights?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

konaking
Spree
Spree

what weights?

Post by konaking »

I'm running the 9 gram weights that came with my variator and I was wondering what weights you guys suggest I use. I'm running a malossi 72, 8.4 gears, v8 pipe and polini natural clutch springs with a 1.5k center spring. I go up a fat hill on my way home from work. Oh yeah and I think I may be running a little rich with my 148 main 52 pilot. Some advice?
KINGÔäó
Goped
Goped

Re: what weights?

Post by KINGÔäó »

heavier weights= high end, low start off
lighter weights= low end, high start off
is your moped not getting enough performance?
I suggest you try 8 and 7's that is what I use on my 72 malossi. :geekdance:
try to get your weights in between high and low end. so its perfect.
IF your going to race far distances try the 10g-11g
Short distances 5-7g
mahalo
Graphics Artist Vfx Car Collision
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

konaking wrote:I'm running the 9 gram weights that came with my variator and I was wondering what weights you guys suggest I use. I'm running a malossi 72, 8.4 gears, v8 pipe and polini natural clutch springs with a 1.5k center spring. I go up a fat hill on my way home from work. Oh yeah and I think I may be running a little rich with my 148 main 52 pilot. Some advice?

How much YOU weigh affects the answer too much to answer this question.

What size shoes should I buy for my feet? I have heard that big shoes can make me run faster. :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Which V8 Pipe?

The process is to determine the engine's "sweet spot" for torque, and then select weights that hold the engine in a span close to that RPM range. A tach can make things a lot easier. With the V8 I had, I'm guessing, but look for around 8500-9000 RPM. Mix weights that allow the RPM to rise to that RPM - but no more - when you go WOT. Because the ideal setup for your engine occur between round numbers, you should have gram weights between 9 and 8, like 8.5. A gram scale makes things more accurate too. 6x9grams sounds heavy, even with the 1.5K center spring.

I'm using a +1,000 center, and my variator TOTAL is around 32 grams at the moment. Different variators, different pipes, different porting, different rider weights and riding styles all make it hard to be sure what yours needs.

Buy a variety of rollers and experiment with small changes - like 3 grams total at a time - until you like it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

With a v8 I usually run 36g (all 6's), but that is with a 1k center spring, and I weigh 200+

I'd start at all 8's and work down from there, if you go too light you'll lose too much top speed
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

I ran through a half set of threes to eights and 8s and 9s felt the best. The lighter weights felt like my motor was revving way too high out of the powerband. I also picked up a sef ramp.
StrokedSr
Spree
Spree

Post by StrokedSr »

what carb setup? i dont even have a 148 on my 28mm ,,but hey depending on where ur located that can differ
1988 yamaha zuma
polini evolution kit
polini evolution 2 exhaust
polini big reed manifold
dellorto 21mm
keli clutch
keli variator