HELP me finish my elite!!!!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

thatguy80
Noob
Noob

HELP me finish my elite!!!!

Post by thatguy80 »

Hey guys, you have always been super helpful when i needed some information. I could really use some help again!

The scooter in question is a 1989 elite e sb50p

So far i have put in a 48mm bbk and am working on breaking it in. I have the gears for it too but have yet to get them shaved down and install them. My plans were to do a little more in there while i was at it to try to squeeze a little more out of my scoot!

I have read alot on here about roller weights... i feel like i have a pretty good handle on what they are and their purpose. I figured my scooter has nearly 4k miles on it and they are pretty d*** near warn out. While i was installing the new gears i thought i would swap the old weights for some new ones... possibly ones that would help my top end. Also figured my belt is prolly pretty worn so better replace that too! I read that goin form a 15mm to a 17mm belt will also help.

So scooter gods please help me!! :worship: heres what i need....
1) a link to a thread on how to do the gear swap, pulley mod/ roller weights
2) what kind of weights would be suitable for my application?
3) is the belt thing a good idea? if not what belt should i get???

Thanks in advance! if theres anything im missing please let me know!!!
Wheelman-111

Re: HELP me finish my elite!!!!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That Guy asserted:
So far i have put in a 48mm bbk and am working on breaking it in.
And axted:
1) a link to a thread on how to do the gear swap, pulley mod/ roller weights
2) what kind of weights would be suitable for my application?
3) is the belt thing a good idea? if not what belt should i get???
Really, you've installed the BBK and didn't have a look behind the belt cover, Dawg? If its original NQ/05 engine still hangs thereunder, your Roller Weight problems are Solved!: They ain't none.
Pulley Mod can be read in Advanced Tech docs, and gear swaps likewise, though there are but two on the NQ/05 - SB/05 block.
A new belt and yes, a pulley mod to gear it taller are both a good idea.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

Really, you've installed the BBK and didn't have a look behind the belt cover, Dawg? If its original NQ/05 engine still hangs thereunder, your Roller Weight problems are Solved!: They ain't none.
Well i feel like an idiot... shortly after posting i did a little more snooping around and figured out that there really are none! haha :oops: im new to scooters and have only had this thing for a couple weeks and am just learning new things as i go.

I also figured out that the stock belt is 10.4mm not 15... i understand that the pulley mod involves shaving off the face of the pulley... is this a route i should take??? or would just a wider belt help give me a little more? if so what size? how much larger should i go??

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry my post sounded a little harsh. I didn't want you to feel stupid. Well, maybe a little fun at your expense...

Basically all this newfound torque and power now needs something to chew on. Taz's gears and perhaps a 2.75 or 3.00 rear tire if it'll fit are a good start.
Belt choices will be limited by the availability of suitable belts. Pinching the front pulleys a little closer together will increase the gearing a bit more. I'll leave the How of the pulley mod to those who've actually done it.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

haha wheelman dont worry!

Thanks for all of your help!! I appreciate it!

I guess i will get those gears shaved down, look into the pulley mod a little more, and search for a new belt, and possibly a new tire!!

If anyone out there has any links as to where i can find a new belt it would be much appreciated! and maybe a little help with the pulley mod! Thanks! :D
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

thatguy80 wrote:haha wheelman dont worry!

Thanks for all of your help!! I appreciate it!

I guess i will get those gears shaved down, look into the pulley mod a little more, and search for a new belt, and possibly a new tire!!

If anyone out there has any links as to where i can find a new belt it would be much appreciated! and maybe a little help with the pulley mod! Thanks! :D
Don't do the pulley mod and the gears.
That will be too tall of a ratio.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

K thanks that makes sense... and it helps cuz thats one less thing i have to research! haha

anyone got any thoughts on the tire size??? should i go with a 2.75 or 3?? and how much will this do/help??

any good ideas on where i can get a belt and the new tires? ive checked ebay and can get tires but any place cheaper??

Thanks again! :mrgreen:
red spree
Goped
Goped

Post by red spree »

thatguy80 wrote:
K thanks that makes sense... and it helps cuz thats one less thing i have to research! haha

anyone got any thoughts on the tire size??? should i go with a 2.75 or 3?? and how much will this do/help??

any good ideas on where i can get a belt and the new tires? ive checked ebay and can get tires but any place cheaper??

Thanks again! :mrgreen:
These fit good for sure...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/ ... -Tire.aspx
Red 85 Spree 87 afo5e swap, 3.5in rear tire, 9.8 to 1 gears, 43mph gps

01 Elite S 72cc corsa, 24 mm oko, pg long pipe, 8.4 gears 62.2mph @11000 rpm

Black\Red 85 spree stock
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

These fit good for sure...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/ ... -Tire.aspx
These are 3.5's if im not mistaken... will these fit on the elite without any clearance problems??? :nervous:

The price is great! Just wonderin what size i should go with... 2.75,3, or 3.5??? please let me know what you guys think!!

Should i get two or is the front one fine staying stock? Thanks!
red spree
Goped
Goped

Post by red spree »

I pretty sure its only 2.84in less then 3 more then 2.75. I had these exact tires on my stock spree I just sold so I know they will fit... Id buy two.
Red 85 Spree 87 afo5e swap, 3.5in rear tire, 9.8 to 1 gears, 43mph gps

01 Elite S 72cc corsa, 24 mm oko, pg long pipe, 8.4 gears 62.2mph @11000 rpm

Black\Red 85 spree stock
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

Thanks red spree! I actually just bought 2! 35 bucks shipped!!! not too bad i thought!

Am i going to need to buy new tubes for them?

Oh and ive been meaning to ask someone about the taz gears! I have an elite e so i need to machine them down but i dont know which one and even where to go to get it done! Can someone PLEASE help me with this?

Is there anyone out there that would let me ship it to them and have it done for a good price? PLEASE!!!
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

Is there anyone here that will let me ship my gear to them and have it milled down to fit my elite e transmision??? Please help! has anyone done this?

and the tires?? new tubes or are the old ones ok?? :?

Thanks guys you r very very helpful! :thumbsup:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Tubes can get damaged in tire removal/reinstallation process. If they hold air now and you don't pinch them taking off the old tires, they should be fine. A few Forumistas have the mills and talent to take the shaft down to E size. Hopefully someone will offer. Sorry my Rock-and-Stick tool kit won't do.
Wheelman-111
thatguy80
Noob
Noob

Post by thatguy80 »

Thanks wheelman!!

Where do you think i should post to see if anyone would help me with the gears?? is there anyone that knows a forum member that could do this for me so i can pm them?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

thatguy80 wrote:Thanks wheelman!!

Where do you think i should post to see if anyone would help me with the gears?? is there anyone that knows a forum member that could do this for me so i can pm them?
Your local machine shop can do it. They will ask for the size and tolerance. I just gave them my case and said I wanted a slip fit.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.