41 mph Top Speed?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

acm77
Noob
Noob

41 mph Top Speed?

Post by acm77 »

I have recently acquired a 2000 Elite 50 S with 426 miles. I have since been on this site trying to soak up as much info as I can with regards to modifications. My goal is to keep it as stock as possible and to be able to cruise at 40-45 mph. Here's what I've done so far:

Checked compression - 120 psi
Drilled out exhaust washer
Replaced variator with a Keli, running 51 gram weights (3x8 grams and 3x9 grams)
Replaced gears with a Ruima 16x42 (9.187:1)
De-restricted stock air box, cleaned and re-oiled air filter
Cleaned out Carb and replaced main jet with an 85
Drained oil and replaced with Honda GN2
Oil pump has been zip tied wide open
Drained and re-filled gas tank
Added 1 oz of Castor 927 oil to gas tank
Replaced spark plug with an NGK BR8HSA
Performed plug chop - tan color

Based on info from several threads, shouldn't this setup enable me to cruise at 40-45 mph?
I have made several runs and the scooter tops out at 41 mph WOT, GPS verified. I've played around with different roller weights. 6 x 6g gram weights made the scooter rev like crazy and topped out at 34 mph. 6 x 8 grams took off a little better and top speed was at 40 mph. Is there anything else I'm missing? I should mention I weigh about 195 lbs.
2000 Elite S
Stock Bore
Stock Carb, 85 main jet
Stock clutch and center spring
De-restricted exhaust and airbox
Keli Variator
Ruima 9:1 gears
Pirelli SL 90/90 tires
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Re: 41 mph Top Speed?

Post by killerpancake »

exhaust clogged the slightest bit? carb clean? jet the correct size(stock i assume)? leaning way forward for aerodynamics!? :naughty:
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
SpreeMadness520
Elite
Elite

Post by SpreeMadness520 »

No its should be upjetted for the airbox de-restriction. Im in the same boat
130cc Stroker
1984 Porsche 944
1965 Vespa
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Magic Marker your pulleys to see if the belt is going all the way out in front, in in back.
A worn belt will slow you down.

Flash 3 went 49 with similar changes + a 90/90 rear tire. If you're premixng at 120:1, maybe the oil pump doesn't need to be zip-tied, but consider adding a throttle controlled split cable to the pump.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

acm77 wrote:I have recently acquired a 2000 Elite 50 S with 426 miles. I have since been on this site trying to soak up as much info as I can with regards to modifications. My goal is to keep it as stock as possible and to be able to cruise at 40-45 mph. Here's what I've done so far:

Checked compression - 120 psi
Drilled out exhaust washer
Replaced variator with a Keli, running 51 gram weights (3x8 grams and 3x9 grams)
Replaced gears with a Ruima 16x42 (9.187:1)
De-restricted stock air box, cleaned and re-oiled air filter
Cleaned out Carb and replaced main jet with an 85
Drained oil and replaced with Honda GN2
Oil pump has been zip tied wide open
Drained and re-filled gas tank
Added 1 oz of Castor 927 oil to gas tank
Replaced spark plug with an NGK BR8HSA
Performed plug chop - tan color

Based on info from several threads, shouldn't this setup enable me to cruise at 40-45 mph?
I have made several runs and the scooter tops out at 41 mph WOT, GPS verified. I've played around with different roller weights. 6 x 6g gram weights made the scooter rev like crazy and topped out at 34 mph. 6 x 8 grams took off a little better and top speed was at 40 mph. Is there anything else I'm missing? I should mention I weigh about 195 lbs.
you got 2 things going against you right now. 1 is the 120psi compression. your a bit down as 114 is the service limit. you need torque to help get you to the higher rpm. 2 is the 195lbs you weight. keep in mind that these bikes where designed for light weight asians that at most weight 150lbs. for that stock bore to pull the 9to1 gears plus your weight and be down on torque is asking alot for it to go 45mph on the flat. down a hill it will do it for sure.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
acm77
Noob
Noob

Post by acm77 »

Thanks for all the insights. I guess that's another reason for me to get my fat * in shape. I did the compression test on a cold motor so would it be any different if I tested the engine warm? Sorry, total noobie here. And if compression is indeed on the low side, would that mean I have to rebuild? Bit strange for a low mileage motor isn't it? I also did the magic marker and it tested out fine.

I did another run last night, longer route this time. I did hit 47 mph for a while, down hill though. I was on WOT for a good 5 miles cruising at 39-40 mph. Should I be concerned about being on WOT for a long time? Also, after the ride the tranny seemed the a bit noisier, considerable whining sound. Now I'm worried I might have put the wrong oil. I had extra Redline MT90 tranny oil lying around and that's what I put in. Yikes, hope I didn't destroy anything...
2000 Elite S
Stock Bore
Stock Carb, 85 main jet
Keli Variator
Pirelli SL 90/90 tires
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The tranny's a pretty low-stress, low-temp affair. I wouldn't try it, but feel it would do just fine with Mazola Corn Oil running in there. Don't sweat it. The noise will change as the warmer oil gets runnier and perhaps the countershaft socket widens a bit. It's pretty rare that the tranny goes south on stock power. TrafficJamz did manage to mangle some teeth with a Stroker, though.

Low compression can be rings, but can also be reed valves or faulty crankcase seal. Test with the carb off or at least throttle held open.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpreeMadness520
Elite
Elite

Post by SpreeMadness520 »

That was a sight :nervous:
130cc Stroker
1984 Porsche 944
1965 Vespa
acm77
Noob
Noob

Post by acm77 »

Did some more tuning over the weekend. Made a makeshift stone fire pit, fired up some charcoal and threw my muffler on it. Muffler must have been really clogged, it smoked and the tip lit on fire for a few minutes. Bit scary to be honest, didn't want to melt it or anything. Soon as the smoking stopped, took it out and let it cool. Then painted with high temp bbq paint. While paint was drying I decided to go change rollers and am now running 54 grams (6x9g). I decided to measure the belt and it was down to 14.68 mm, way below 15 mm service limit. Put everything back together. Did a test run. Was able to cruise at 42-43 mph. Did a compression test while engine was warm - 140 psi

Not quite 45mph but pretty close. New belt is on the way, as well as an 88 jet.
2000 Elite S
Stock Bore
Stock Carb, 85 main jet
Keli Variator
Pirelli SL 90/90 tires