front suspension upgrades? (Spree)

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

lilredspree
Spree
Spree

front suspension upgrades? (Spree)

Post by lilredspree »

So I'm on the tail end of my spree-dio build. Have done frame supports, foot peg mounts, nice grab bar and mounted up the motor. Went to pull the front forks off so I could bring it all to powder coat and it appears as though whomever owned this last didnt understand how to put a nut on correctly. Its halfway stripped and crossthreaded. I can't for the life of me get it off. I'm upset I didnt notice this before. I took it to the local honda shop and they said the only thing they could do was cut it off!

If I'm going to hack up the stock suspension to get it out of there I might as well do some consideration into what kind of nice front suspensions anyone out there has tried. At the beginning of the build I was contemplating doing a front end with disc brakes. I do realize I'll have to cut the frame up and put a new mount, but anyone know of any front ends that will still clear the stock front plastics?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: front suspension upgrades?

Post by bakaracer »

nope!! if your planning on doing a swap,you have to use the stock stem or get a donor bike and weld in the stem neck to use that frontend. most of the disc brake swaps done on spree's were from disc brake dio's or sym dd50 that used the spree stem.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
lilredspree
Spree
Spree

Post by lilredspree »

Thanks baka. Looks like I already located a new front end which is needed even if I want to do a swap... I'll save that thought for the future if I want to upgrade.
Roaster
BMX
BMX

Post by Roaster »

Hey BAKA, while we're on the subject... what do you recomend for an easy front end swap on an 87 elite?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Roaster wrote:Hey BAKA, while we're on the subject... what do you recomend for an easy front end swap on an 87 elite?
live dio zx frontend. its a direct bolt on. the only thing you have to do is use a heat gun to push the inner panels out so it can clear the triple clamp.

this my race bike with the live zx triple with the standard function G2 adjustable forks

my street bike with live dio zx triple and full ncy fork and brake kit

this is the full live dio zx frontend with rim
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Jordan_l
Noob
Noob

Post by Jordan_l »

where could i track down that front end setup? and it would work on my 88 elite correct?