Variator questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Variator questions

Post by TiffanySpree »

I made Sharpie marks on my variator, which is stock. The only mod i made to the transmission other than the 9:1 gears is a 1500 rpm center spring. After a ride with revs up to 7000 rpm, I checked the variator marks and found that the belt (5O miles on new oem) does not ride near the edge. It is about 10mm or so short. Is the heavier center spring preventing this? I have oem 10g rollers that are not flat spotted. At what rpm should I expect the tranny to fully upshift? In my previous stock af05, it was about 5000 rpm. Shouldn't this one upshift about 6500 rpm? My understanding is that the sa50 and se50 belts are the same, although the part numbers on my two belts are different. Se50: 23100-gz5-0130. Sa50: 23100-gg2-7500.
----
1986 NQ50d Spree Tiffany green/white - wifeys. Currently modding to get more *!
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Variator questions

Post by maddog »

dump the stock variator for a hi-speed one, use 8.5 gr.weights, use a washer between the boss & ramp this will bottom out the belt letting it ride the entire pulley, change the clutch springs to polini greens if you hit 53mph you are there :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Ok, I'll shop for a variator. Now, will a Ruckus variator fit without grinding? Also, if I get a bigger variator, is the belt long enough? If the belt is long enough to hit the extreme ends on the stock front and rear pulleys, it seems it won't be long enough for a bigger front pulley. Unless, it does not go all the way down on the rear with a stock variator.

For now, I'll try the washer idea along with lighter weights. I have three 8 gm rollers I can try with three stock ones. The next size down in my kit are 6 gm rollers. What size washer should I get? ID and thickness?
----
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

TiffanySpree wrote:Ok, I'll shop for a variator. Now, will a Ruckus variator fit without grinding? Also, if I get a bigger variator, is the belt long enough? If the belt is long enough to hit the extreme ends on the stock front and rear pulleys, it seems it won't be long enough for a bigger front pulley. Unless, it does not go all the way down on the rear with a stock variator.

For now, I'll try the washer idea along with lighter weights. I have three 8 gm rollers I can try with three stock ones. The next size down in my kit are 6 gm rollers. What size washer should I get? ID and thickness?
Rule one is never do what maddog, AKA * puppy, says to do, ever. First off each scooter and engine is an individual and at best a variator setup is a guess. Just do the weight thing, skip the washer.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Hmm, ok, I'll keep that in mind. I guess I haven't been here long enough to notice.

Anyway, since I'm still in the break-in period, I'll just leave it alone. I had the lighter weights before I notice the variator not fully extending. That's why I put back the heavier OEM weights, thinking it will push out more for the same RPM. I don't want to push the motor right now just to see where it will max the variator. I'll wait until next spring. I doubt I'll break it in before winter comes. So while I'm breaking it in, it is all stock except for the 1500 rpm c-spring and lighter clutch bell.
----
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

ha ha, i will let the local boyz make the bear look like a piece of s*** on this one, they also sell shims contact vt cycles, thats why "whinnie the poo" can't go 103mph on his sorry * aeros like i can :bowrofl:
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

if your running stock you need to do all the derestrictions which the bear has no clue about :crazy:
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

"
103mph on his sorry * aeros like i can
"
:*: * puppy really? i think somebody yanked on your yard chain and you are making up as you go along, im noe expert but i dont think you could get enough rpm to go that fast. we dont believe unless we see proof. * we havent seen these machines of yours. :jack: :roll:
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

* head never shows proof of anything. Never shown a pic of a supposed scooter much less a time slip or a GPS readout. He lies more than obozo does.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
atomicareprise
Goped
Goped

Post by atomicareprise »

u have a high expectation over a stock engine bro....

running a 1.5k rpm on a stock engine is a little bit off...

1.5k rpm is too stiff for an engine of urs...

try using a 1k rpm clutch spring then a stock center spring...

try to observe when does ur rpm drops..

if it drops in the middle try to use lighter rollers...
PINOY SCOOTERISTA!!!