Air hungry spree's

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Me and tippmann98 worked on this project together. I have the air hungry spree. The problem I think is that the jet in my carb is an 80! I ordered carb with a 68 for it from paul. I think that will fix the problem. The spree is running very lean and probably doing some damage to the rings.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

80? Whoa. You'd usually be running rich with that jet, but w/o an airfilter, who knows. How's the plug look?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

You're going to find that a #68 is too large also. #65 is what you want........
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

*, at least it's closer than 80. Might as well disconnect the carb and dump the gas into the vacuum fill hole on the manifold :D

BTW Jerry, do you still have the #70 jet for these bikes?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I have a small selection of jets in the workshop. I'll check for you and get back tomorrow.
Scoot safely
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

You say 65 is the best jet to have? I just ordered a 68, I'll see how that goes. I may want to buy a 65 off of one of you guys. Thanks
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Will a 68 be too rich or too lean? Do you think it will work decently?
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

My friend has a spree as well. We always ride together. I noticed with my 80 jet it always cost me less at the pump, significantly actually. This is because of how much darn air my spree is sucking in. It is louder than a chopper. My spree eventually began going slower and slower. Probably ring damage due to the excessive air. My compression I think is lower and that is what caused my sluggishness. It has to be something else because There wasn't much carbon so I don't think it was that. My friends spree still runs perfectly, so whatever jet he has is just right. I have since ordered a different engine, cheaper than the rebuilding way, and am getting a new carb for it as well, with a 68 jet. I hope the 68 will be fine, definately better than the 80! I'll keep you posted on how this all goes.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

I need to add that with the 80 jet the only thing that would make the spree run fast enough is to have the air cap open.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Stick with a # 65 and you won't have a problem. I've gone 68 and it's still way too rich. 80 is hard to believe that it will even run. (Idle fine maybe but at 1/4 throttle or above, it's really getting juiced).
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

What surprized me was that fuel economy improved. That's not the way that should have worked.

On a 4-stroke, running too rich for too long ruins the piston ring's ability to hold oil and keep the wall lubed. The rich condition will eventually eat the cylinder wall up. I'm guessing that this will hold on 2-stokes too. Also, the additional fuel is not compensated b/c of the way the automatic oiling works, ie you've increase the amount of gas w/o increasing the amount of oil.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Then engine would have to have been running lean though. The amount of air it was intaking was enoromous. I had holes drilled in the air cap. The intake was extremely loud. Even with the big 80 jet there still was so much air it worked ok. It actually ran quite well for about 300 miles. Then later it started getting slower and slower. I think the rings finally withstood all they could.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

neon lights

Post by darat »

i have a 1985 honda spree it is sparkling red and i have blue neons on it. It looks good. :idea:
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Haha, Nice. If yo send me some pictures i will post them sometime on my site. Then you can show them on here. It may be a week or so. But i can get them on eventually. (e-mail: zigzags560@gmail.com)
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

I appreciate the advice on the #65 jet, it is the ideal jet for the job.