Air hungry spree's

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Air hungry spree's

Post by Tippmann98 »

What makes a spree air hungry? The motors can be strange. Even with different carbs and adjustments, they still eat up the air. My old one actually didnt like much air at all, i am just wondering what to do? Is there a way to adjust this problem? Maybe something to do with the reed valve? I know not to bend it or anything, maybe tighten up the screws in the back?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

What is 'air hungry' ?
Are you running rich or lean or what is the problem?
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

The spree will run fine and everything. It is just that it will be slow as *. (like 5 - 13 max) and thats fast. But when the air box cover is taken off, it will go about 30 mph...
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

re-clean your a/f
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Me and tippmann98 worked on this same project. The air filter made no difference. It still ran slow if it was not sucking all the air in the world in.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

To start off, I can tell you what it's NOT - the reed valves.

What it MAY be:
1. Air filter
2. Air inlet box cover plugged?
3. Choke assy not closing all the way when warmed up properly
4. If you are attaching the screw in the middle of the air cover, I had one (truly odd) that collapsed the inlet box when over-tightened.
5. Maladjusted carburetor.

Probably in that order. Does it run good with the cover off AND the filter off? What about if just the cover is on but no filter? Just filter no cover?
Are the two square inlets on the cover plugged with anything? Mud dauber wasps love this area for some reason.

You state that the bike runs alright with the filter and cover on, but slow. Is it missing at all when it's doing this? That would point to rich mix. By taking the air cleaner off, you compensate for the excess fuel going in if it's missing.

This is an interesting one....keep us informed.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Huh. Any chance someone went in and changed the main jet, or the needle position? How do your plug chops look? Are you running really rich with the air filter on (4 stroking, etc.)

If you don't know how to do a plug chop, I'm posting it into the tech docs.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Yes, one of the carbs is over-jetted. That probably explains a little. But, this is the strange part. Even with different carbs, one ot two of our engines is still reluctant and craves mass amounts of air. Its internal i think, my guess is that somebody tampered with the block and widended the intakes.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

- Has the case been split? If not then any intake mods were done to the removable bits. Check the intake runner for filing.
- Has the exhaust been drilled/modified/rusted out?
- Has your "good" carb been filed? Some guys will enlarge the "choke" point on the carbs for airflow. Doesn't always work.
- Did you check to see if the "good" carb has an enlarged (drilled) idle jet?

Sounds like you're running rich. Is it any faster with the air filter disconnected? By disconnected, I assume you're still running the rubber tube, but not the filter element (or tube disconnected from airbox.)
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

No, it all looks in order. It just runs well without the airbox cover off . Its a strange problem. I may type more when i get home
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

I would just leave well enough alone and leave the airbox cover off or just run a clamp on K&N.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Haha yeah. I was just wanting to make it quieter. I figured it would be more desireable to buy that way.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Tippmann98 wrote:Haha yeah. I was just wanting to make it quieter. I figured it would be more desireable to buy that way.
To make it more desirable to sell, I think you should run down to the nearest Wal*Mart/farm supply and pick up a bagful of $1 yellow marker lights. You could do up the entire undercarriage with a few dozen of those... and yes, I've been drinking.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

To make it more desirable to sell, I think you should run down to the nearest Wal*Mart/farm supply and pick up a bagful of $1 yellow marker lights. You could do up the entire undercarriage with a few dozen of those... and yes, I've been drinking.
lol your crazy
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Lmao, how about some neon lights? lol. I will submit a picture of a blue light under a black spree later on.
Last edited by Tippmann98 on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.