Wow has it been a while! wanna make a gyro faster?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Wow has it been a while! wanna make a gyro faster?

Post by MySpree »

hey guys, it has literally been years since i have been on here, and at least 6 years since i was an active member, i dont know if any of you remember me, or what i contributed to the Honda spree forums, i owe basically everything i now have to my beloved Honda spree that did 45 mph with a actual spree engine and stock sized piston ( which i no longer have :( ). it got me into engines, and fabricating, and painting, and body work, porting, everything... i was able to use the knowledge i learned with that honda spree to start a business that barley made me enough income to pay for my bills... now im a fully cert mechanic, i can do everything from carbon fiber work to tuning and porting, painting, body work, milling, machining custom parts ect... it has turned into my dream, i am able to play and have fun and make a living. i also invest my money into cars, boats, anything that i can turn a profit on. i also invest in my friends. to this day i still fix small engines for people locally just because its fun to me and gives me something to do, mopeds are just so simple and fun! so i am fixing a gyro s for a guy, it looked at first to be in great condition, and it was, mostly... someone who wasnt too good screwed it up real good, it had multiple things wrong... got it running right topped at 25 when i got it, after cleaning the carb, porting the intake, re spacing the reed valves, and adding a new spark plug i got it to about 28. milled a 85 aero head down slightly and added studs to mount the cooling cover, domed piston, spitfire plug, SS race coil from an elite, re-jetted the carb, made a custom airbox, ported the exhaust flange and port, port matched the case and cylinder, polished the skirts up, lightened the flywheel and it will now actually whine out in second gear instead of putting to a top speed of 42mph gps tracked. i took some pictures at the time which id like to find... once i do, ill post them.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wow has it been a while! wanna make a gyro faster?

Post by noiseguy »

Haven't seen you around in awhile. I was actually just looking for Darat's old myspace page. Still in Troy?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

Rochester now, but i still do alot of work out of troy, while i bought a house, it doesn't have a garage, so in the spring i am having a pole barn put up. i haven't talked to darat or any of those guys in years.
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Sounds good Photos would be great .
On this 42mph was that downhill ?
Kidding 42 on a gyro good work all you need is squeeze another 3 mph and your done .
Attachments
IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
I tried to use liquid laundry detergent instead of gas .
I tried to use liquid laundry detergent instead of gas .
100_8679.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I told you six to stop humping those engines. lol

Wow that is good for a gyro. I bet motormike wishes his gyro went that fast. How is the acceleration?

Taz
motormike

Post by motormike »

HEY !!!!.....GYRO ???......FASTER???......MySpree, I love you man....will you let me buy you a beer and let's talk about this....I might just go from respectable on the track to feared.. :twisted: check your pm's for my contact info and let's get some real biz done during the winter......I gotta pee..... :geekdance:
Attachments
print shot 2.jpg
print shot 2.jpg (85.23 KiB) Viewed 9321 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

accel is beautiful, basicly normal from a start to about 10 mph and after 10 its screams all the way to the shift point, then after it shifts keeps pulling pretty beautifully, gets to 38 really quickly and those last 4 mph are slow but steady and it always tops out at at least 41. and im pretty sure i know were my sd card went with the pictures, once i find them ill post them up. there is still some more room to move forward on this gyro too, and he will be bringing me another s to do the same things to, im going to try and make a expansion chamber for it ( along with some other secrete stuff that i will let you know after it works or fails ) that will hopefully bring it up those last couple of miles!
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

also, i dont want to get anyone too excited yet, but after doing some measuring and speculating, i may actually be able to put a 65cc kit off a bike you would never expect!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi MySpree!
Good work on the Gyro, and welcome back! The board has pulled in the best collection of Gyro folks anywhere. Post some Spree performance stuff too.

I looked into getting an AF05 cyl onto the Gyro - first step to a bore kit, and found there's issues with the exhaust port vs case interference. The angled exhaust exits to the flywheel area. It looks that case cutting or cyl mods are required. If you have this cleared, that will be a good thing for all.

Also - there's a vid on YouTube of a claimed Polini bore on an NN50, but other than idling and limited view of the engine - not much to go on.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

i would put it this way, if it was meant to go fast i would own one, certain honda models were never made to go fast :confused:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

maddog wrote:i would put it this way, if it was meant to go fast i would own one, certain honda models were never made to go fast :confused:
Hey Maddog,

Gyro's aren't meant to go fast, but a little faster would be nice. Not trying to win any races, just trying to keep up with traffic :confused:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

You guys know you can bore the gyro cylinder to a 44mm. :) I will have some more 44mm pistons this spring. Thats what you need mike is a bored gyro 44 and a good port job.

Taz
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

alright, spent some time working out some mods for the gyro that people could buy. I have some other things in the works, but for now id like to introduce you to, from what i understand, the first Honda gyro performance exhaust pipe ( expansion chamber ). as the pipe is tuned right now, it adds very very noticeable power and acceleration from a dead stop to 25 mph, it also has quite a * off sound to it. :twisted: the flange is going to be redone with thicker steel, im going to make the full bend nice and smooth from flange to tip, and see about putting a heat wrap on it to make sure nothing gets melted. with all that said, i think it makes it look pretty menacing. let me know your input, im also going to see if i can make a pipe specifically for top end.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Nice very nice id do what taz said bore and port that little MONSTER
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

Ooo she is ported out all right.