AF16 to Ruckus Clutch Swap

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

silentheaven
BMX
BMX

AF16 to Ruckus Clutch Swap

Post by silentheaven »

Has anybody done this? I have a few Ruckus clutches and when building my AF16 i wondered if they could be swapped. The area where the belt rides on is much larger on the ruckus clutch and it all seems to fit. Any ideas on what kind of performance I can get with this?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: AF16 to Ruckus Clutch Swap

Post by swimmingfree »

Ruckus clutches or Ruckus variator????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
silentheaven
BMX
BMX

Post by silentheaven »

I already run the ruckus variator, I was shaving the inside of the case when I had a "hummmmm" moment. I looked at the two clutches and the only real difference I saw was that the area that the belt rides on is larger. Everything else is the same as far as the size. I even put it on with a belt and the ruckus variator and nothing rubbed or seem to be outta line so I think it might physically work. Just don't know of the performance of doing this. Has anybody tried this?
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

it sounds like a ZX trans setup

do you have a bigger/wider belt to try? a 669 18 30 belt is best for a zx setup.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
silentheaven
BMX
BMX

Post by silentheaven »

Trafficjamz wrote:it sounds like a ZX trans setup

do you have a bigger/wider belt to try? a 669 18 30 belt is best for a zx setup.
No I don't. I am still in the middle of my build so it might be a few weeks before I get to do some testing. I haven't bought all the small things yet and a belt is one of them. I was just wondering if it will work since I have like 4 Ruckus clutches in my garage.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

silentheaven wrote:

No I don't. I am still in the middle of my build so it might be a few weeks before I get to do some testing. I haven't bought all the small things yet and a belt is one of them. I was just wondering if it will work since I have like 4 Ruckus clutches in my garage.

zx drive face, a belt, and a new from pulley boss is all you need to complete your zx conversion
silentheaven
BMX
BMX

Post by silentheaven »

Trafficjamz wrote:
silentheaven wrote:

zx drive face, a belt, and a new from pulley boss is all you need to complete your zx conversion
so the Ruckus clutch/variator combo will work? and I use a 669 18 30 belt to strap them together?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I think we're being thrown off by your use of the term "Clutch" where I think you mean Driven Face. The clutch is the thingy under the bell that has pads like a drum brake. The Driven Face consists of the two pulley sheaves that sandwich the drive belt. Although they live on the same shaft, they are not the same assembly.

The larger rear pulleys found on the ZX model scooters can be made to fit with shaving the belt cavity similar to the work you did on the variator. The ZX rear pulley could be purchased from VT Cycles complete with 18mm belt and longer variator boss to make it work. See ZX Trans in the Perf Tech section.

It is not so clear that the Ruckus Driven Face assembly fits as easily - the shaft diameters and lengths may be different. I don't know if anyone has tried to fit them. If you really do mean the clutch, the Ruck's may be no better than the Elite item, since it's designed for a less-powerful 4-stroke 50.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
silentheaven
BMX
BMX

Post by silentheaven »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I think we're being thrown off by your use of the term "Clutch" where I think you mean Driven Face. The clutch is the thingy under the bell that has pads like a drum brake. The Driven Face consists of the two pulley sheaves that sandwich the drive belt. Although they live on the same shaft, they are not the same assembly.

The larger rear pulleys found on the ZX model scooters can be made to fit with shaving the belt cavity similar to the work you did on the variator. The ZX rear pulley could be purchased from VT Cycles complete with 18mm belt and longer variator boss to make it work. See ZX Trans in the Perf Tech section.

It is not so clear that the Ruckus Driven Face assembly fits as easily - the shaft diameters and lengths may be different. I don't know if anyone has tried to fit them. If you really do mean the clutch, the Ruck's may be no better than the Elite item, since it's designed for a less-powerful 4-stroke 50.
OK I see what you mean now and I was calling the "clutch" the whole assembly. Thanks for the clear up.

I see two main differences between the two assemblies when compared side to side.
1. The "Drive Face" on the Ruckus assembly is larger. Maybe more speed because of more belt travel?
2. The "clutch" on the Ruckus only has two pads as compared to the Elite that has three. Less grip then the Elite.

Everything else seems to be ok as far as not rubbing and lining up. Maybe I should take pic for everybody to see and once I get rolling i will have to do some R&D.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

the two pads don't always mean less grip look at the high performance polini two shoe clutch....
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Post by az_slynch »

fastplastic wrote:the two pads don't always mean less grip look at the high performance polini two shoe clutch....

Very true. The Sprees have a three-shoe clutch, but Honda changed up to a two-shoe on the Elite E. Lot more pad material.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
silentheaven
BMX
BMX

Post by silentheaven »

IMAG0583 by GT RR, on Flickr
Elite left Ruckus right

IMAG0585 by GT RR, on Flickr
Elite top Ruckus bottom

IMAG0587 by GT RR, on Flickr
Elite

IMAG0589 by GT RR, on Flickr
Ruckus

As you can see the Ruckus assembly looks like it will work. The drive face is larger and makes me think higher top end. I am going to run the Elite on until I complete the break in. Then I will do some R&D with the Ruckus assembly.
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

Does anyone know if the polini variator for the elite is the same size as a zx? If it is i would just need ruckus clutch and belt,? Correct?
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

silentheaven wrote: The drive face is larger and makes me think higher top end.
A larger driven pulley does not mean better top end.

A larger variator (drive) pulley means higher top speed,

When both pulley sizes are increased, the ratio between them stays the same.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Trafficjamz wrote:
silentheaven wrote: The drive face is larger and makes me think higher top end.
A larger driven pulley does not mean better top end.

will it help tack off???
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet