Why wont my spree do over 25-26 mph ?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Freek-Nassty
Noob
Noob

Why wont my spree do over 25-26 mph ?

Post by Freek-Nassty »

I just got my 85 Honda spree HQ50 - I'm in love it was in very good shape - i have only been into GSXR1000s , Now I'm liking the scooters but the thing is every where i go its 25 or 35 mph , and i read the forum on trans but if confuses me , I am new to the scooter world and small 2-strokes , But any way me and a friend cleaned everything to do with oil and fuel , Its holding almost 100 pd compression , and put a new bearing in tyranny , old one way out of spec spend a little more got the MOOG bearing 13 bucks (better than factory Honda bearing) ,gap spark plug at .028 and muffler is clean to , but this spree revs up great on the stand sounds like it will run balls out , when a rider (3 dudes ) between 180-280 gets on and rides it only does 25mph , then its like u hit a rev limiter ,seems to have a slow start but climbs fast to 25mph , then it has to slow down to start pulling again , We be leave from what i read , that i may need smaller weights (don't know where to get thos ) for the clutch and a tighter spring cant find that to , I may need some help ! ? ? ! oh by the way mines red and it don't have the petcock cover ether , LMFAO , I don't know if any one can under stand what i wrote or not ,

Plan is to leave stock , I don't want to start rattle can stuff , weld on 2-stroke motorcycle mufflers , and turn it in to a turd !
I say Keep it stock and running good enjoy it , it is what it is a scooter ! If your not happy buy a 1 liter bike !

I would love to have info on parts where to get them or if im way of track someone slap me ! Thanks ! :peace:
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: Why wont my spree do over 25-26 mph ?

Post by zuphilius »

25-26 mph, you have a Spree. That's what they do. Bigger rear tire, 2.75x10, bbk and gears from Taz.

Others will chime in shortly with dude, swap in a dio!

Don't cut slash hack anything, make sure your air filter is good, stock air box, no pod.

Good luck and welcome!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

actualy unless your spree is the iowa model it should do almost 30... Some easy thing you can do it clean the exhaust. Go to Wikipedia and find out how. Taller tire would also help out you top end. Also check your belt make sure it up to spec.
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Freek-Nassty
Noob
Noob

Post by Freek-Nassty »

Bigger tire would help , but still only revs to 25mph then hits a rev limiter , even going down steep hill wont do over 25mph , it has to have some type of rev limiter , some thing is stopping revs , making me mad ! lol
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Their is no rev limiter..IS your exhaust the iowa model? it might be restricted.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

It's an '85. That's all the faster they go.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

noiseguy wrote:It's an '85. That's all the faster they go.
both mine and bears 85' go 30mph stock.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Stock piston?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

I would suggest upgrading to an AX24 V-Belt (mine is a Goodyear brand). They give you a little higher top end, but a more comfortable acceleration curve and less slip I believe. I purchased mine for all of $9 to replace the worn (.385) Honda "Bando" belt that was on my Spree.

All in all mine still cruises happiest at 25-28mph (3/4 Throttle), I've gotten it up to 35mph but it was like an all out sprint and it felt like it couldn't breathe. If You are happy with the Spree's size and purpose and don't want to do a motor swap focus on engine efficiency at part throttle and tune for that. 90-100 MPG is fair trade for sub-30 MPH, in my mind =).
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

noiseguy wrote:Stock piston?
dished indeed
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Huh. My '85 with stock dished piston would just touch 30... barely... but that was after milling the head. Before it was a 26-27 MPH machine.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

noiseguy wrote:Huh. My '85 with stock dished piston would just touch 30... barely... but that was after milling the head. Before it was a 26-27 MPH machine.
ik its weird how different some of these things run.. My red one would only do 25-27 so i stage 3'd it. My black one will do 30 and on long stretches even pump a little higher..
Freek-Nassty
Noob
Noob

Post by Freek-Nassty »

Thanks for all the info , And thanks MrChimpo I got a ( AX24 V-Belt) new belt coming -9 bucks , Other was a little outworn ! Just got my NGK SPARK PLUG-BPR6HS and my Air filter OEM It came oiled got that in !

What about the reeds do you replace , clean , don't know much about them , what about pie-let jet or main jet . Back in the day every thing came lean i guess to keep emissions down ? Every 4 stroke i got i always put a bigger jet in it , it just ran better and plug look like it was not getting so hot !

Just asking more questions you cant learn if you don't ask ! 1985 Honda Spree HQ50 - I get smiles every where i go !

Can you post videos on here ?

Hey you all are great i don't care what the yamaha scooter people say ! LOL Just joking !

I DON'T CLAM TO KNOW ANY THING !

:nervous:

I hate to say it , but i may be looking for something in the 35mph range , that's speed limit in my town ! I do not think i will sell spree , I love that scooter !

OH Im sorry Noiseguy yes stock piston ! holding between 100-110 compression ! If it was me you was talking to .
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

"What about the reeds"

If it starts and runs OK, the reeds are likely OK. The Spree is limited in what it can do because it has no transmission like more modern scooters, only a centrifugal clutch. 30mph is about it for a "full-race" Spree downhill, but 28mph is more like what you can expect.
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

If maintaining average speeds of 25-30 at full throttle what type of fuel mileage could a stock NQ50 spree range in? I have yet to do a formal test on my mileage... I am running most of my errands at full throttle down back roads or in d*** bike lane. I figured it should be right around 60 MPG but unsure now because the exhaust is straight piped.
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles