Spree Transmission Upgrades?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Spree Transmission Upgrades?

Post by MrChimpo »

Hey I have an 86' Honda Spree NQ50 on an AF05-E case - my transmission is going bad... It will cruise at 25 @ 3/4 throttle, and top out at 30-32Mph which is good on most streets here in Vancouver WA / Portland OR area but Im in the bike lanes most of the time and I dont really like it. I want to be able to cruise at 40Mph and get up to 45 for the scary over-the-bridge runs on the freeway I do. It is an AF05-E and has no variator, just a d*** weight-wheel that adds inertia I guess... Could I add a variator and new ratio gears in my AF05-E gear case for more top end? Im already running the AX24 belt.

Would a BBK on my spree motor be effective or would I be better off swapping the entire motor / drivetrain from an SA50 / SE50???

Thank You in advance.
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree Transmission Upgrades?

Post by fastplastic »

money and skillz are the deciding factor on the sa50 swap... and no, big bore kits dont add speed just power......thats what gears are for :thumbwink: if u want 45mph u have to swap for sure....
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

The SA50 and SE50 - is the SA50 the preferred platform for mods? I assume AF16 case is that correct? How often do they pop up for sale here in our wanted/for sale forum?
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

MrChimpo wrote:I want to be able to cruise at 40Mph and get up to 45 for the scary over-the-bridge runs on the freeway I do.
40mph is impossible in a Spree. Also, the Spree suspension is too primitive for higher speeds. Face it: the Spree is a nice pit bike, it works well in town with 25mph speed limits, and that's about it. For crossing bridges at 45mph, you'll need to upgrade to a tuned (BBK) Elite/Dio type with a variator trans. Even a stock Ruckus will have a hard time with 45mph.