kymco build looking for 60+ cruising

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

spider82
Noob
Noob

kymco build looking for 60+ cruising

Post by spider82 »

like title says im looking to build this bike up. roommate got a runner for 50 took exhaust carb and cooling shroud off for his bike i got it from him for 30 now im looking to build a good runner what kits are suggested?
donut
Elite
Elite

Re: kymco build looking for 60+ cruising

Post by donut »

'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

Polini, gears, exhaust, and carb
spider82
Noob
Noob

Post by spider82 »

yea i figured as much so was wondering what the dif is between kits or is a 47 mm kit a 47 mm kit no matter the maker? and whats the biggest bbk can go onto the kymco
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Well, theres a few different kinds of kymcos. Some kymco engines dont have a gear upgrade available. Unlike what most people on here think, a Kymco is not the same as the honda counterpart. There are a ton of differences. Also for this matter at hand, majority of kymcos have a restricted cdi, you have to buy a different unrestricted one, and to maintain 60+ "cruising" speeds you have make sure to get a "suitai cdi" that has been "reprogrammed" for the ignition curve to retard a little more at high RPMs, or you WILL melt your piston.
So with all that said, go to kymcoforums.com and find your niche, depending on which model and engine you have there will be someone knowledgeable there.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

One more thing, not all big bore kits were made equal, stick with either polini or malossi and you will be good. Also make sure you run the engine shrouds, do not run these engines "shroudless" or they will seize from over heating, and worse.
spider82
Noob
Noob

Post by spider82 »

LoveMyHonda wrote:Well, theres a few different kinds of kymcos. Some kymco engines dont have a gear upgrade available. Unlike what most people on here think, a Kymco is not the same as the honda counterpart. There are a ton of differences. Also for this matter at hand, majority of kymcos have a restricted cdi, you have to buy a different unrestricted one, and to maintain 60+ "cruising" speeds you have make sure to get a "suitai cdi" that has been "reprogrammed" for the ignition curve to retard a little more at high RPMs, or you WILL melt your piston.
So with all that said, go to kymcoforums.com and find your niche, depending on which model and engine you have there will be someone knowledgeable there.
well sorry bout that lol i have the zx 50 ive seen 2 different cdis on them the one i have is a larger one. the other i have seen is the same cdi as a honda elite and elite e not sure if mine is stock i can get the part number and look it up. im looking at a 50mm kit thats for sale on here. to get what gears do you guys suggest to go with a 50 mm kit?
spider82
Noob
Noob

Post by spider82 »

ruima kit any good?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

One option for gears for the zx50 is the Malossi gears for the AF05e the Keith from Redeft sells. Easy to install, but try not to mess up your trans cover gasket, its a pain to make a new one or wait for one. Our transmissions are not the same as an AF16e, much better and easier to work with.
If I was you I would go for a Malossi or Polini bore kit. Ruima is just ok and its low rpm on the power band so you wont have as much fun as a polini. Also I wouldnt run the stock carb. I have an extra arechi 19mm carb that you can run the stock airbox with, its jetted to run a mega ported 72cc Polini Corsa. Let me know if youre interested in it. I also have the performance intake matched to the arechi with upgraded reed.
With just swapping the variator and weights you can gain alot on the zx with its 12" tires.
On a side note let me know if you end up selling the bike ever. In my opinion these engines are better than AF16 since you can use a 12 " tire.
spider82
Noob
Noob

Post by spider82 »

those 12 inch rims are the reason that i like the bike so much. i work on and use the chinese bikes alot cause they are cheap to fix upgrade and buy i would consider selling the bike i will need a carb atm i do not have one the ruima 50 mm i found is on here used and im getting a pretty good price on it.if i do a kit i want to change the gears have a suspicion it will help lower the rpms and reduce the chance of overheating as easily is the tecnigas exhaust a good match for that kit and carb by chance? ive found 2 of them on craigslist i am waiting to get a price on them and id like to know if you have a link for that gear set?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=19538
I dont like the technigas as much as the Scorpion or the motorio, my friend has a windjammer that rocks.
Any pipe is good for the carb really, you tune it either way.
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

Tecnigas performs like a stock pipe.. Just makes noise.. Alot of it
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Spider 82:
if i do a kit i want to change the gears have a suspicion it will help lower the rpms and reduce the chance of overheating as easily
You're having trouble thinking in terms of a CVT Universe. The engine speaks to the Final Drive through the Continuously Variable Transmission, not the primitive tooth-ed cogs from the Iron Age. Thus a taller set of gears won't lower the RPM by themselves, but you do go faster at the same RPM. (Assuming the engine makes enough power to push through the wind. Having more torque (with a big-block) will let you keep that speed up with the VARIATOR tuned for lower RPM. But it is the Variator tuning, not the gears, that dictates what note the engine sings.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
spider82
Noob
Noob

Post by spider82 »

thats unless you put a big enough gear ratio to stop the engine from maxing out correct?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

True, but that only happens once the variator has reached its fixed limit - the pulleys are at the stops - and the Variator now acts as a fixed-ratio intermediary between the engine and the Final Drive. If at that point the windspeed matches the engine power perfectly, your best top speed will result. If the engine has more Drive than the wind has Drag, then it will try to over-rev and hit the Internal RPM limits dictated by the carb, ports, pipe etc.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH