Best vari and sef for elite with corsa and pg long?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Simonsr50
Goped
Goped

Best vari and sef for elite with corsa and pg long?

Post by Simonsr50 »

Like post says I have an 01 slite sr with corsa, 21mm oko ct Mani, pg long, gears and some clutching with keli vari. I feel like I could use a vari and sef that's doesn't shift so fast out of the hole so it's holds higher ramp right as I accel. Any info would help. Basically when I run wot with my setup I'm at the exact rpm I want, buy when I throw in 2k grabber springs my rear clutch is opening before my clutch engages so its like its taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear. Anyone know what I can do to help this. Thanks in advance.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Best vari and sef for elite with corsa and pg long?

Post by fastplastic »

then go with a heavier set of rollers to hold out the shift longer
Simonsr50
Goped
Goped

Post by Simonsr50 »

That will do the exact opposite of what I want. I think I need a steeper ramp to hold the weights down for longer so it doesn't shift so fast off the line. Anyone who know what ramp is steeper then stock? More for drag racing maybe....
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Simon's SR illustrates a common problem with mounting up stiffer clutch springs. The rollers are too heavy, and start shifting the vario as the revs climb even before the clutch starts to engage. Thus "Second-Gear Starts".

The simplest solution is to drop the roller weight fractionally - Maximum 0.5 apiece or 3 grams total load - until that stops happening. The Corsa/PG setup likes to sing Soprano, so I wouldn't worry about reducing top speed. At the 10K+ limit, even the lightest rollers will fully deploy the variator's "Overdrive".

However with greater power, the grip on the belt exerted by the sheaves under the tension of the stock spring may be lacking. This is the reason many tuners mount stiffer Contra springs. If you do that - it's a good deal more work - you may find that your current variator load is "just right".

Ramp plates come in many flavors from nearly flat, 15 degrees all the way to 25. Flatter plates shift sooner but don't "downshift" as promptly when you let off the throttle and re-apply. I suggest you sort out the weight/Spring issue before experimenting with ramp plates.

You didn't mention what gears you have.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Simonsr50
Goped
Goped

Post by Simonsr50 »

i am running 9.8 gears because I do a lot of drag racing with my friends and 55-60 is plenty fast for me on these tires. I have my 06 GSXR 1000 if I want to go faster. I also feel like if I go any lighter it loses power. In my experience my setup makes max power at about 9200 rpm which is right where I'm at now. I want to stay where I'm at for max rpm now but hold higher rpm out of the gate which is why I'm curious about different ramps. can u suggest a steeper one and where i can find it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Try emailing DayWot on eBay or VT cycles and inquire about a 25-degree plate. I'm saying the steeper plate may not give you what you want. When you say "less power" when you go lighter on the vari load, how much lighter did you go? It's easy to overshoot the optimum and that's why I said lighten 2-3 grams Total at a time. The engine doesn't know to make less power when you swap weights, but it might over-rev too much if you dropped 6 grams.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Simonsr50
Goped
Goped

Post by Simonsr50 »

I have a tach and temp gauge and was only changing by 3 grams each time only goin up by about 200-300 rpm at a time and I still feel like overshooting 9200rpm hurts me. Which is why I explained it the way I did. Nevermind guys.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Hmm, 9200 sounds pretty low for that setup. Try VTCycles as suggested. If you're not moving any faster, maybe the sweet-tuning 21 is a bit small. Mine made best juice at about 10,400 with the PG.
Wheelman-111