Roller weight help

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

JAKE DA SNAKE
Noob
Noob

Roller weight help

Post by JAKE DA SNAKE »

Ok so I got a 2001 Honda elite s 78cc nikasil bore mini stroked 8:1 gears and can't figure out what weights I can use to get some speed. I'm 205lbs and I had 8 gram weights inside but switched it to 6.5 as a test run and noticed dat I have acceleration now but no top end. I know I gotta go heavier but dunno how heavy
WRIST2FULLTWIST!!!
Meejacob
Spree
Spree

Re: Roller weight help

Post by Meejacob »

Try go 3 6.5 weights and 3 8g weights in the variator. Mark the variator with a sharpie so you can see how high the belt rides.
JAKE DA SNAKE
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKE DA SNAKE »

Can I go heavier then 8 like maybe 9g. The 8g weights were ok but feel like i can get more speed. I got 2000rpm contra springs 2000rpm clutch springs and works pretty good with the 8g but now I got like some crazy bottom end with the 6.5g so I know I gotta go heavier but I'm hoping that I can go heavier than 8g without bogging out
WRIST2FULLTWIST!!!
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Its simple. The heavier the rollers the more top end(within reason lol). The lighter the rollers the more low end. You have to find the happy medium for your situation. I always start with 9g and then dial from there. 9g is a good place to start.

Taz
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth TazLand:
Its simple. The heavier the rollers the more top end(within reason lol).
Respectfully I disagree. Heavier rollers make the Variator max out at a lower engine RPM, and that's it. They don't increase power or overall gearing one iota. If the Vario maxes before the engine's torque peak, they kill your top end as well as the low end.
The lighter the rollers the more low end.
Again, maybe not. If the rollers are too light, the variator fails to compress the belt to "feed" gearing multiplication as RPMs increase. The engine will over-rev past its torque peak and kill acceleration after 0 to (let's say...) 10 MPH. For sure this won't go fast on top either.

This is why (Baka-san taught me this...) you have to be careful jumping from a set of 8s to 6.5, or even half and half. Maximum 3 grams total load change (yes, a half-gram per roller) will tell you which way works better. But if you make a 9-gram change it can be hard to tell without a tach if you're even going in the right direction.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
sum-azn-kid
Elite
Elite

Post by sum-azn-kid »

IMO the 2k torque spring may be your problem if you have the zx trans id go 1.5k or 1k. the stiff spring holds the pulley longer so the belt doesnt go into the rear pulley. hence the lack of topend.
2007 SYM DD50- baby blue 72 "Daily rider"-sold
1988 Honda SB50P-on going project
zuma 125-sold
Ninja 250r-totaled
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

what was your top speed with the 8 gram and what was the top speed with the 6.5 ????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Wheel thats why I said within reason. You cant go to heavy or the rollers act like a restrictor or to light because then it will just rev out. Been there done that :naughty:

I was thinkin the same thing about the clutch spring. With a 78cc Nik kit sounds a bit stiff.

I do my rollers by feel. Use the force Wheel. lol

Taz
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've come to the conclusion that the MAIN reason to stiffen the rear spring when you mod much above stock power: Belt slip.
At 3.5 or 4.5 HP pushing against a 30-knot headwind, the stock spring is plenty tight. But when speeds increase to 50, 60 and beyond (Think how much harder it is to sit up straight and hold the grips...) the belt is bleeding speed to friction and little black rubber-boogers. The tighter spring makes the belt grip the pulleys harder and so it slips less - I estimate about 10% based on the RPMs, the variator "overdrive" factor, and GPS speeds I've recorded.

Two things to remember:
A: Change the spring, must change the rollers to get back to the same RPM across the range of throttle openings.
2: Really stiff springs (like the +2K) reportedly can make driven pulleys explode. I used a +1200 on the Corsa and my current M'Arn block. My current rear pulley is (I think) from a Kymco.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JAKE DA SNAKE
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKE DA SNAKE »

swimmingfree wrote:what was your top speed with the 8 gram and what was the top speed with the 6.5 ????
swimmingfree
Top speed with 8g was 60 mph and top speed with 6.5 was 45 mph
WRIST2FULLTWIST!!!
JAKE DA SNAKE
Noob
Noob

Post by JAKE DA SNAKE »

Dis week I'll be getting a 51mm rumia big bore so a little more power
WRIST2FULLTWIST!!!