SPREE TUNING

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

SPREE TUNING

Post by abreen89 »

Well i finally got my spree up and running (thank you taz!) And now im just about done with heat cycling (ive done about 15 at varying temps plan on doing 5 more). So now im getting into tuning.

The setup:
Taz bbk
Taz gears
ct intake with 19mm pb carb
Noiseguy pipe

Questions:
-How long should i wait before i go full throttle?
-What ratio should i shoot for with the oil pump still installed (im breaking in at 50:1 plus oil pump)
-Right now the idle to 1/4 throttle the engine revs but not alot of tire spin should i shoot for a smaller idle jet (i have the biggest idle and main jet in that i have right now)
Any other break in tips would be appreciated.

Here are some pics:

I have a kick start waiting to be installed

'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: SPREE TUNING

Post by abreen89 »

Update: Tonight i tried going down the street but i couldnt get it to go it reved up high and moves a little but not even enough to stay balance i checked the plug it was white tan and had a little fuel on it so i dont think im running lean. Does this sound like an idle jet issue or a trans issue?

Right now i have a 102 main jet and a 42 pilot in.

Thanks!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sounds like a pocket bike pipe issue to me, those pipes don't work to rev up worth a darn if the header length isn't dead on. Could be carb relatated but I'd ditch the pb chamber and try an original exhaust of you have one. I did one of those pipes for my express with a stock setup had working pretty good, then after going to a ported first over size cylinder it had no bottom end I mean none period, it wouldn't rev up unless I was going down hill to get enough speed to get the revs high enough for the pipe to do its thing. Same results with a 70cc bbkit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Sounds like a pocket bike pipe issue to me, those pipes don't work to rev up worth a darn if the header length isn't dead on. Could be carb relatated but I'd ditch the pb chamber and try an original exhaust of you have one. I did one of those pipes for my express with a stock setup had working pretty good, then after going to a ported first over size cylinder it had no bottom end I mean none period, it wouldn't rev up unless I was going down hill to get enough speed to get the revs high enough for the pipe to do its thing. Same results with a 70cc bbkit.

i was thinking the same thing i really like the pipe though you think it would work good on my stock spree?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The trick to is tuning the header length. Shorten it up and it may work for you. I had to put the chamber on the header and drive it and come back and shorten it slightly and try it again did that a few times and got it dialed in. You may also have an issue like my chamber had which I corrected before i put the header to the chamber. There was almost 2" of header in the chamber, when the pipe was on the pocket bike the motor never ever reved up smooth it always had a growly sound to it. That was why. Image
I carefully cut the weld where the original header went into the chamber and cut off the excess pipe and left just enough to weld it back on and then ported the little flange off so the transition would be perfectly smooth from the chamber to the header. The pocket bike header just happend to fit perfectly over the express header.
A little experimentation may make it work.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Try your pipe on your stock spree and see what it does, ya got nothing to loose :-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Try a stock pipe with that big bore kit and see what happens, then try a smaller main jet like a 92 or 95. Or even try a smaller main jet first. I was just remembering back to some experimenting on had done back in November with my spree with different jets and air filters and my spree would not rev at all when it was too rich, same strange problem you are having. I have a small k&n filter that chokes the carb more than one would think and with the 95 jet I had in it for no filter it wouldn't take me up the hill. Now that I think of it... Just pull the filter off and see what happens. I had to do that Xmas eve when my k&n had gotten wet and froze so the thing refused to go up the hill till I pulled the filter off.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

okay i tried pulling of the air filter it didnt do anything so i put back on the stock pipe still little acceleration at all. So i put put in a smaller pilot jet helped a ton. But still wouldnt get up to speed and died out every time i dropped the throttle so i put in a smaller main jet and she seems to be running a ton better. But i have a few things:

1. When i pulled of the loud pipe i found alot of fuel and oil that leaked out of it. What would cause fuel and oil in the exhaust?
2. How many miles should i go before i can start WOT runs it feels like i should go to an even smaller jet but i dont want to risk running lean until i can do some plug chops to confirm my thought.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I usually do a tank or two of fuel myself at least before I do a plug chop. A cylinder head temp gauge is your best friend for breakins like that so you have an idea if its getting too lean by showing the temp raising. If you were running really rich you would have had a bunch of raw fuel being expelled into the pipe and it rinses oil and carbon off of the inside of the chamber so maybe that is where the residue is coming from. Once you get it to rev up properly, pop in a new plug and have a look at it after a burn up the street. It won't be a true plug chop but if its snow white after a 1/4 mile maybe its a little lean. You will get an idea at least until you can do a full wot chop.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

patthesoundguy wrote:I usually do a tank or two of fuel myself at least before I do a plug chop. A cylinder head temp gauge is your best friend for breakins like that so you have an idea if its getting too lean by showing the temp raising. If you were running really rich you would have had a bunch of raw fuel being expelled into the pipe and it rinses oil and carbon off of the inside of the chamber so maybe that is where the residue is coming from. Once you get it to rev up properly, pop in a new plug and have a look at it after a burn up the street. It won't be a true plug chop but if its snow white after a 1/4 mile maybe its a little lean. You will get an idea at least until you can do a full wot chop.

yea ive been checking the plug after every short run and its still snow white. I think maybe that was the problem with the other pipe running to rich i might try and swap that back on and see if that helps. I bought a ct gauge used on ebay but cant find it for the life of me. Those things are spendy...
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

What size jets you running in your carb?

Taz
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

tazland001 wrote:What size jets you running in your carb?

Taz
currently running 95 main 40 pilot feels to me to be rich still but i dont want to risk damage to my new kit by running to lean without doing plug chops.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

okay well ive put in a smaller 90 jet and it still doesnt have very good take off. So i lowered the pin (or raised the clip). The take off is a little better but still not that great. Do i need to go down to an 88 main jet? or lower the needle 1 more? i checked the plug after a 1/8 mile run (half throttle or so) here is a pic:

seemed to be a dry plug but its pretty white.

According to this chart should i be looking at the pilot jet?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Take a look at where the white porcelain bottoms out in side the plug That is where you read the plug

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yeah I wouldn't go for below 92 for a main if its that white And yes I would be looking at the pilot jet But after you get the top end dialed in better maybe

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock