what to port? (af05e aero / elite )

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mmeadows
Elite
Elite

what to port? (af05e aero / elite )

Post by mmeadows »

so i have never ported anything and will probably be buying my first drimil or air powered grinder today

i have my head off, my engine out, and my case split.

what can i port? looking at the cylinder, porting the ports that are on the cylinder wall seems terrifying but i think i could open up the exhaust flange quit a bit, but would it make a difference? ( i have a leo vince pipe)

looking at the intake, ive ordered an aero80 reed cage and intake but its not here yet... looking at the case i split open, it looks like i could open the intake ports up quit a bit but is there an advantage to this?

ive looked around this web site but its unclear to me when and why you port the internal hole/ports on the cylinder or just the external ones. ( im sure someone will rip me a new one and then give me a link)

do i just want to take the head to a shop and have it professional ported or are they just as likely to bugger it up as a generic machine shop? id rather do it myself and have new tools left over to show for it
Attachments
sorry the pic is  upside down
sorry the pic is upside down
2013-04-02 09.26.21.jpg (129.92 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
patthesoundguy

Re: what to port? (af05e aero / elite )

Post by patthesoundguy »

Clean and retransition the exhaust port, you might want to open it up a bit more but make sure you check it with the exhaust gasket from time to time. I'm not sure whether its a good idea to raise the exhaust port on that cylinder others with more experience with that cylinder will have a better to idea. I'd clean up and transition anything that is more than about a 7 or 8 degree angle flow is everything and anywhere the flow has a hard edge to try and flow around degrades the flow tons. Get your self some stones and some carbide burrs and got to town. Take your time you can do it. Look on YouTube for blaster porting, there is a guy who shows how to port a cylinder in detail and how to clean it after. Watch them and you will have no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

how about the intake ports in the case? im guessing just chew away. it kind of looks like i can take out alot on the top but the bottom is not very thick and will go through the case.

as far as the exhaust, i should shave all metal that is exposed when the gasket is in on the flange side? in regards to the side with the cylinder wall; porting up ( the direction of the cylinder head) will change my timing? ( i dont want to do that at least not for my first port.) what about opening it left and right? what about down? im guessing down runs the risk of matching the ports below.

what is the difference between a boost port and an intake port on the cylinder? do i want to open them up?
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

You can make the case's intake ports a little wider and as you said taller. Also you can knife edge the piece that comes down in the middle.

If you stick a finger in the exhaust port of the cylinder you should feel a how it gets more restrictive in the bend. Grind that section to be more like the diameter of the rest.

This is all advice that won't mess with timing, just open things up a bit more. What are you trying to get out of this motor? (mileage, reliability, power?)
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

devenex wrote:
This is all advice that won't mess with timing, just open things up a bit more. What are you trying to get out of this motor? (mileage, reliability, power?)
all the above. im going to keep a stock cylinder. put on an aero 80 intake and reed cage, and used carb if i can ever find one.

you have any sun down there today? tigard/portland has been all clouds. my reeds wont be here until the 5th so i want to have eveything prepped by then

anyone know about opening the af05e cylinder up to the left and right?
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

doesn't look like anyone else wants to chime in, here goes nothing .....
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I really like devonexÔÇÿs wisdom, if you follow his directions you shouldnt have any troubles. Just correcting casting flaws and smoothing transitions and giving the cats tounge texture to all of the places air\fuel flows will make a huge difference in performance. Image here is some porting on my stock spree cylinder, since there is enough thickness in the skirt i was able to really open the flow to the ports and gave that roughed up texture, cleaned up the exhaust port and fixed the transitioning. I diddnt raise the exhaust port, not yet anyway. I also cleaned up under the reed block by putting the reedblock in place and pushing it down on the reeds with a pencil to see where to get rid of the square edges that were creating turbulance where it shouldnt be. All that stuff helps perfomance while retaining stock reliablity.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Make sure you was the cylinder thouroughly with tons of dish soap and hot water, then dry as quick as possible with compressed air or a hair drier and rags. Then oil with 2stroke oil the second you dry it so it wont flash rust.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Dont port anything. Clean the case get the crank balanced and put new bearings and seals cherray! Or spend a hundred more on a stock Af16
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Wow I bet getting a crank balanced would make a world of difference, they probably diddnt take that much time to really do that to the best it could be at the factory. They probably made them to a certain tolerance and off it went.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

hate to break it to you, but you can't really port for power, fuel economy and reliability. FE and reliability go hand in hand, but angling for more performance beyond a certain point will affect the previous two features.

My advice would be to just do what has been suggested above, open up the intake and exhaust a little bit. This should give a mild performance increase but you won't sacrifice anything in economy or reliability (so long as you're careful to not leave any metal shavings behind!). If you want more power beyond that then you can look into moving the exhaust port up (thus changing the timing) but this can adversely affect bottom end power as well as fuel economy.

Oh and the weather has been mighty nice down here the last two days (not sure about today, been stuck in my office w/ no windows :().
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

devenex wrote:hate to break it to you, but you can't really port for power, fuel economy and reliability. FE and reliability go hand in hand, but angling for more performance beyond a certain point will affect the previous two features.

well its about time someone does, i miss the good old days where someone would rip you a new a** hole and you got to the bottom of things right away.

:().
i ported the intake on the case and the exhaust on the cylinder. its really hard to measure, but from what i can measure, the intake ports increased by 3.87mm virically no way to get a horizontal measurement.

thank you for your patients, everyone's advice made things much easier once i got in there
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

so as i mentioned im putting an aero80 reed cage and intake on the block. but it seems as if the aero80 is bigger in some ways and smaller in others. i kind of feel like i should put the aero50 reed stopped on the aero80 reeds. what so you think.

i also sand blasted the case
Attachments
2013-04-05 20.21.19.jpg
2013-04-05 20.21.19.jpg (166.11 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
aero50
aero50
2013-04-05 20.28.02.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
aero 80
aero 80
2013-04-05 20.27.23.jpg (111.21 KiB) Viewed 6950 times
Last edited by mmeadows on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

the aero 50 reeds look like they open up way more! ideas?
Attachments
2013-04-05 20.20.19.jpg
2013-04-05 20.20.19.jpg (146.99 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
2013-04-05 20.23.43.jpg
2013-04-05 20.23.43.jpg (121.84 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
2013-04-05 20.23.01.jpg
2013-04-05 20.23.01.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You can always bend the stopper. I do it, just bend the stopper to only have a few thousands clearance to the case. I've been told that by a really experianced 2 stroke engine builder, and read it many times years ago. It really helped my spree.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock