Learning about mods

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Learning about mods

Post by ringLord4 »

I'm looking to vamp up my 84' Spree.

This is what I have done so far:

48MM Big Bore Kit and taller gears from Taz (chop chop on ebay)
Also came with bigger jet.

In order to run this I needed more airflow so I bought UNI 1" air filter plugs that are drilled and pushed into various places on the airbox, I just installed three of them. I will install a 4th if necessary but I'm running out of room!

This is what I want to do:

Taz's carb kit + air filter. Add an after market Exhaust.

I tried to put on a 1/2" belt per Bear's instructions I saw in another post but could not get the darn thing to fit! Any help there?

What will the effects be with all of my desired mods and is it worth it? Who has done it? Wheelman? Bear? I'm talking to you!

:newb:
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Re: Learning about mods

Post by ringLord4 »

Also want to know where I can get a good aftermarket pipe.
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

I have the full taz kit (kit, gears,carb), and a homemade expansion pipe. Bike has a ton of power up hills, but even after shaving 0.100" off the pulley, it only does 43 down hill, 35-38 on flat, and it needs higher RPM clutch springs REALLY bad. I weigh 150, and the bike is tricky to get going from a stop, but at about 13mph you can wrench on the throttle and it rips

I'm gonna change the springs in a few days and report my findings
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

ringLord4 wrote:Also want to know where I can get a good aftermarket pipe.

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=4&t=25345
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

Great, so you installed the 1/2" in belt but had to shave .100 off the pulley?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You don't have to shave the front drive pulley, shaving it is the pulley mod to more top end like the gears and belt.
I have done the 1/2" belt on my 84 spree, works great. Did you get the AX24 that is the proper fit. Somtimes the rear driven pulley can get stuck together not allowing slack to install the belt. The carb kit is supposed to be awesome I have one but haven't tried it yet. The tuned pipe is the key to it all, I have the MLM pipe and it rips on my stock spree, so when I get my bbk and carb on, it should haul serious a r s e for a spree :-)
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

SuprasNsprees wrote:I have the full taz kit (kit, gears,carb), and a homemade expansion pipe. Bike has a ton of power up hills, but even after shaving 0.100" off the pulley, it only does 43 down hill, 35-38 on flat, and it needs higher RPM clutch springs REALLY bad. I weigh 150, and the bike is tricky to get going from a stop, but at about 13mph you can wrench on the throttle and it rips

I've been told that no after market clutch springs exist for the spree. Maybe that has changed in the last while and there is something that fits without having to heat and bend other springs to fit. I really want to swap to higher rpm springs as well, it would really help takeoff for me as well. Let me know what you find.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

patthesoundguy wrote:
SuprasNsprees wrote:I have the full taz kit (kit, gears,carb), and a homemade expansion pipe. Bike has a ton of power up hills, but even after shaving 0.100" off the pulley, it only does 43 down hill, 35-38 on flat, and it needs higher RPM clutch springs REALLY bad. I weigh 150, and the bike is tricky to get going from a stop, but at about 13mph you can wrench on the throttle and it rips

I've been told that no after market clutch springs exist for the spree. Maybe that has changed in the last while and there is something that fits without having to heat and bend other springs to fit. I really want to swap to higher rpm springs as well, it would really help takeoff for me as well. Let me know what you find.

A little birdie told me they may be the same as the jog. I'm gonna take a $10 gamble on it, and I'm also going to lighten the shoes

Either way I'm going to make something work.
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 PA50 Hobbit
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

SuprasNsprees wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:

A little birdie told me they may be the same as the jog. I'm gonna take a $10 gamble on it, and I'm also going to lighten the shoes

I wondered about that ;-) worth the 10$ to try, and if they are too long you would have to shorten other springs anyway.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Learning about mods

Post by ringLord4 »

What did you find about the springs!?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I may hunt some jog springs and try them if no one has yet

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Learning about mods

Post by ringLord4 »

What size do you get? I saw 3 . 1000, 1500, & 2000 RPM
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Im not sure ill have to get the spree out and check where the stock springs engage on the tach, and go from there.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Learning about mods

Post by ringLord4 »

SuprasNsprees wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:

Sir, what have your findings been?