Fixed low top speed...

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

se50
Spree
Spree

Fixed low top speed...

Post by se50 »

I fixed the pathetic top speed on my '87 Elite SE50p. I took the variator off (I didn't feel like busting non impact sockets on an impact wrench, so I held the big gear with a vise-grip), and removed the limiter. It looked much different than the ones in pictures I've seen, but it did the same thing. I am running a drilled main jet, that was an 82 (stock), that is now about a 100 (more like a 102). It is too rich, and an 85 is in the mail. It also has a UNI pod filter, that is oiled with ATF. Stock muffler, though it leaks at the flange (bad gasket). Stock cyl, piston, and bore. I don't know how fast it goes (speedometer cable is broken, but it did 26 max before my weld on it broke before the modification. I compared that with the KE100, and the speedometer was accurate. I know it goes a bit faster now, since I can't take corners in the dirt driveway as fast when it is dry out (tire starts sliding). If anyone cares to know what the limiter looks on an SE50, I can post pictures. It definately doesn't feel like I have a "cap" on speed as much anymore. (pun intended). 8)
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.