Break in procedure

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

BAMFChuddy
BMX
BMX

Break in procedure

Post by BAMFChuddy »

Hi everyone! I was wondering what's the best break procedure? I was thinking 8-10 heat cycles. Then 400 miles staying under half throttle and not going over 30mph. What do u guys think? I havent found much info on the topic.
Stretched sb50p
Af16e swap
soon to be BBK
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Re: Break in procedure

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Well that would certainly break it in. You won't hurt anything doing what you described.
Everyone seems to have a different way of doing it and as well as different theories.
Personally I do about 3-4 heat cycles on the stand. Then I do 1-2 heat cycles lightly riding it around for a short period. Then I will do some cruzing while not exceeding 3/4 throttle and not going over half throttle for long periods. Working out the bugs and maybe making small adjustments to the tune. I don't really count mileage I don't think I've ever made it anywhere near 400 miles. My riding just gradually gets more aggressive as I get comfortable with the tune.
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

To seat the rings correctly you need 50 miles of almost zero load. No hills and under 35mph
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
ClemSpree
Spree
Spree

Post by ClemSpree »

I'll respectfully disagree with the king despite my regard for his experience.

Idle once to make sure everything sounds good, cool down, check head. Ride lightly for a bit increasing load, vary throttle, avoid steady state running, cool down, do a few times. Get on it after that.

Lots of rebuilds are broken in on the roadrace track and all that is done is to go out easy for a few laps then maybe an easy practice. After that its full throttle, noone is riding a fresh race motor for 400 miles before they race it.

If you have other unknowns, i.e jetting, ignition, you do need to be more cautious and sort these things out.
84 Aero125 Goldie, For Sale, parts bikes too
09 Stella For Sale
86 Razz
87 YSR50
56 LD150
79 P200
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

the problem with that is track engines are rebuilt every few races or every season. We wont longetivity out of these motors which means a slow break in
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

ClemSpree wrote:I'll respectfully disagree with the king despite my regard for his experience.

Idle once to make sure everything sounds good, cool down, check head. Ride lightly for a bit increasing load, vary throttle, avoid steady state running, cool down, do a few times. Get on it after that.

Lots of rebuilds are broken in on the roadrace track and all that is done is to go out easy for a few laps then maybe an easy practice. After that its full throttle, noone is riding a fresh race motor for 400 miles before they race it.

If you have other unknowns, i.e jetting, ignition, you do need to be more cautious and sort these things out.
This isnt a track bike and hes not looking for a hard break in. Most important part is heat cycles and seating the rings
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii